Rent a car in Thailand

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Rent a car in Thailand

Post by Kammekor »

Is it possible to rent a car in Thailand with just a valid driving license from my country (Dutch)? I also have valid Cambodian driving license but I am not in the possession of a valid Cambodian passport to show with it.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Rent a car in Thailand

Post by phuketrichard »

yes, sometimes they ask for an IDP
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:05 pm yes, sometimes they ask for an IDP
It's clear as mud. Some sites say 'Foreigners' (whoever that may be) must show an IDP, some sites say Foreigners with a driving license in non Roman script must show an IDP, and then there's the reciprocal agreement within ASEAN where the ASEAN member countries will accept ASEAN licenses without restrictions.

IMHO people from other ASEAN countries are 'Foreigner' as well.

Will mail some large Rental offices in Bangkok and see what they come up with.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

lots of friends have travelled to phuket an rented cars> Dont need rent from the big boys, the local agencies will be easier on ya
All ASEAN driving licenses are good to drive on in Thailand as well as ur home country license ( for up to 90 days)
BUT its funny, when i show my Thai license if i am stopped here over the years, Half the time they say no good and it costs me, half the time they say ok
yet in Laos or Malaysia never any problem
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I contacted several renting agencies, and one came up with this:

Section 42-2

Section 42-2 In case there’s a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver’s license, an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorized by such a foreign government.

I checked, and there's a treaty between the EU and Thailand on the (temporary) recognition of each other's driving licences, so I will take the risk.
dvdpnh
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by dvdpnh »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:32 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:05 pm yes, sometimes they ask for an IDP
It's clear as mud. Some sites say 'Foreigners' (whoever that may be) must show an IDP, some sites say Foreigners with a driving license in non Roman script must show an IDP, and then there's the reciprocal agreement within ASEAN where the ASEAN member countries will accept ASEAN licenses without restrictions.

No, this is nothing unique. Europeans treat EU member countries as non-foreigners in many many many aspects, rules which are clearly biased and partial towards EU countries only. For example, banking. Opening of bank accounts in the EU is restricted to nationals of EU countries (or third countries with EU residence permits). Driving licence... same. It's an exclusive and closed community where recognition is automatic and mutual. Countries within the EU can reside and work in other EU countries indefinitely. As such, they are no longer "foreigners" so why can't ASEAN countries have the same position? If the Netherlands accepts us Asians as non-foreigners, then that's the time you can shamelessly demand that other ASEAN countries be treated as foreigners within the context of the ASEAN community.

A tiring mindset of these "expats" is that some of them condemn the perceived discrimination affecting them whilst ignoring the fact that their own country applies the same restrictions and prejudicial treatment to third country nationals.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

dvdpnh wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:34 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:32 pm

No, this is nothing unique. Europeans treat EU member countries as non-foreigners in many many many aspects, rules which are clearly biased and partial towards EU countries only. For example, banking. Opening of bank accounts in the EU is restricted to nationals of EU countries (or third countries with EU residence permits). Driving licence... same. It's an exclusive and closed community where recognition is automatic and mutual. Countries within the EU can reside and work in other EU countries indefinitely. As such, they are no longer "foreigners" so why can't ASEAN countries have the same position? If the Netherlands accepts us Asians as non-foreigners, then that's the time you can shamelessly demand that other ASEAN countries be treated as foreigners within the context of the ASEAN community.

A tiring mindset of these "expats" is that some of them condemn the perceived discrimination affecting them whilst ignoring the fact that their own country applies the same restrictions and prejudicial treatment to third country nationals.
I am not interested in things like mindsets, I am interested in the rule of law.
The EU recognizes Thai driving licenses for short stays so Thailand reciprotes that as per the treaty.

I am fully aware it might take some persuasion for the average MiB on the street, but at the end of the day it is what it is.

Add to that I also have a Cambodian driving license which should be respected as per the ASEAN treaties. So you know, I will take my risk. As an 8 day tourist. Not an expat
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

heres an option:
flights PP-Phuket via bangkok are $96
combine it with trying out an electric car

Electric vehicles are now available to rent in Phuket, Thailand
https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/elec ... nZM5O59FXg
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic