AeroCambodia CEO Brian Naswall Caught Sexually Abusing Kids

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: AeroCambodia CEO Brian Naswall Caught Sexually Abusing K

Post by TheGrinchSR »

obelisks wrote:
Samouth wrote:I had heard of Svay Pak before, but not really know about this place. I also had seen some videos about this place talking about young sex worker. This is a good article to read

Svay Pak is an ethnically Vietnamese village located in the Russey Keo District of Phnom Penh, Cambodia.[1] Svay Pak is also known as Kilometre 11 or K11. It is an infamous center of child prostitution.

Economic situation

The brothels in Svay Pak are in direct competition with each other and see little advantage in cooperation even when faced with external threats (i.e. police). Sex workers from different brothels do not usually associate with workers from another brothel. This is due to personal differences as well as the competition for clients. Sex work, particularly acts that involve underage workers, were a cornerstone of the local economy. At any one time it was estimated that over 300 commercial sex workers lived and worked in the Svay Pak area.[3] Virgin children were sold for a very high price ($400–600) which is then continually lowered until they are worth only a few U.S. dollars. Some brothel owners are willing to put their workers under hymen-reconstruction surgery in order to create the appearance that their workers are still virgins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svay_Pak
So why haven't at least some NGOs based their offices in this district to tackle the problem more aggressively? I mean I couldn't believe that in 2015 that other guy that was featured in this forum was allowed to walk hand-in-hand with a very young girl. What are these NGOs doing with their money and time?
Why isn't this place daily news in the local press until it's shut down? I thought that Cambodia had moved on beyond making it easy for paedophile sex tourists? I read the Telegraph article connected to that Wiki and it made me want to vomit. The world is a sick and sad place.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

From the link provided:
Many of the Christian groups working in the area exaggerate and fictionalise the problem in order to keep their donations coming from the US and Europe. The fact is: child prostitution is now virtually non-existent in Svay Pak. The real exploitation now is by these insidious Evangelical groups. Please see: http://penhpal.com/2014/03/the-persiste ... -svay-pak/
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Check the responses. Un Vuthy sounds like a knowledgeable, enlightened fellow:

Un Vuthy
April 5th, 2014 at 8:41 pm
Not sure about the anti-Christian hostility here. Many high level officials in cpp and cnrp are Christian
1- Khmer culture and Buddhist faith both reject prostitution of any kind voluntary or not
2- prostitution thrives because of the money dirty old westerners throw at it.
3- if you are a hooker and het HIV it is your karma. If you sleep with a hooker and get HIV it is your karma.
4- if you get HIV in Cambodia you’re going to die. Don’t involve with prostitution and you won’t get the punishment.
5- Our culture is against prostitutes, only westerners like you or Khmer not born here want it to be legal. Go back to your own country
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

vladimir wrote:Check the responses. Un Vuthy sounds like a knowledgeable, enlightened fellow:

Un Vuthy
April 5th, 2014 at 8:41 pm
Not sure about the anti-Christian hostility here. Many high level officials in cpp and cnrp are Christian
1- Khmer culture and Buddhist faith both reject prostitution of any kind voluntary or not
2- prostitution thrives because of the money dirty old westerners throw at it.
3- if you are a hooker and het HIV it is your karma. If you sleep with a hooker and get HIV it is your karma.
4- if you get HIV in Cambodia you’re going to die. Don’t involve with prostitution and you won’t get the punishment.
5- Our culture is against prostitutes, only westerners like you or Khmer not born here want it to be legal. Go back to your own country
Yeah I know ( a nutjob with an agenda - and he sounds like a load of fun), but it's just a comment left on their (VSO) blog.
I was more interested in the "truth" about Svay Pak - whether it continues to exist in reality or not ? Most stuff online on the subject is really old. Seems to be closed ?
And it can't be denied that "certain" NGOs like to paint the situation in Cambodia blacker than reality for their own reasons. So I was just wondering if this is happening with Svay Pak - the myth is being kept alive to gather donations ? I'd never heard of it before, but then I lead a sheltered life. O:-)

Another blog from an NGO checking on child sex abuse in Svay Pak from 2005 to 2010 - last post :
2010. I'm in Cambodia again and drawn back to Svay Pak. Svay Pak has been officially closed for 5 years. Due to the many police checkpoints and constant observation, the international trade of underage girls has moved deeper into the backyards. It seems like the opportunity to get in contact with children has become more difficult. It remains to be seen if the laws protecting children will be adhered to, and in particular, strictly controlled. The enforcement of the law is, and remains, a major obstacle in efforts to eliminate child prostitution. If this is done, then Svay Pak is really closed as it is written on the Internet.
http://www.ledonja.org/en/projects/k11- ... x-tourist-
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

obelisks wrote:So why haven't at least some NGOs based their offices in this district to tackle the problem more aggressively? ... What are these NGOs doing with their money and time?
What, outside of the city? My god man, what are you suggesting? We might get the Lexus dirty...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

So this guy was caught having sex with a 12 year old girl on some random shady spot outside on Diamond Island while 2 other kids watched? WTF, you know Cambodia has a problem with pedos when you have "established" expats having sex with children right out in the open like this.

I wonder how many times his, "Oh come on officer, we were all just peeing out here," excuse has worked.

PHNOM PENH (Khmer Times) – American pilot Brian Naswall, an innovator in private air travel in Cambodia, was caught having sex with a minor on Koh Pich Island, police say.

He was arrested Friday and sent to court Tuesday.

The anti-pedophile group Action Pour Les Enfants, APLE, charge that Mr. Naswall, CEO and founder of Aero Cambodia, was caught having sex with a twelve-year-old girl in the presence of two other underage girls.

“The man was arrested on Friday night at almost 11 pm at Koh Pich (Diamond Island),” said APLE deputy director Khoem Vando.

Mr. Naswall is accused of luring the three girls to a quiet place on Koh Pich, where he sexually abused one of them. He apparently promised to pay his victim $20, and $15 to each of the other two girls.

Officers of the Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Department are pursuing the case. A total of six other minors also say they may have been sexually exploited on other occasions by Mr. Naswall.

His aviation firm has bases here and in Siem Reap and operates throughout the country. Investigators speculate that Mr. Naswall could have engaged in similar acts elsewhere in the country.

According to the Aero Cambodia website, the company is the Kingdom’s first and only fully-licensed, insured microlight and fixed-wing seaplane operator. Mr. Naswall’s LinkedIn page depicts him as a manager of the airlines since February 2010.

He claims to have also worked as a locomotive engineer in the US, Canada, Thailand, Cambodia and Mexico.

Mr. Naswall’s arrest follows the sentencing last week of Philippe Broaly, a former director of the NGO Enfants du Cambodge. He was handed a 14-month sentence by Preah Sihanouk provincial court for sexually abusing five boys under his care.

His sentence was suspended, however, and he was only required to serve eight months.In March, APLE investigated its own former director, Hang Vibol, who was late arrested and charged with abusing boys at the “Our Home” orphanage.

http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/11706/ ... erage-girl

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

obelisks wrote:
Samouth wrote:I had heard of Svay Pak before, but not really know about this place. I also had seen some videos about this place talking about young sex worker. This is a good article to read

Svay Pak is an ethnically Vietnamese village located in the Russey Keo District of Phnom Penh, Cambodia.[1] Svay Pak is also known as Kilometre 11 or K11. It is an infamous center of child prostitution.

Economic situation

The brothels in Svay Pak are in direct competition with each other and see little advantage in cooperation even when faced with external threats (i.e. police). Sex workers from different brothels do not usually associate with workers from another brothel. This is due to personal differences as well as the competition for clients. Sex work, particularly acts that involve underage workers, were a cornerstone of the local economy. At any one time it was estimated that over 300 commercial sex workers lived and worked in the Svay Pak area.[3] Virgin children were sold for a very high price ($400–600) which is then continually lowered until they are worth only a few U.S. dollars. Some brothel owners are willing to put their workers under hymen-reconstruction surgery in order to create the appearance that their workers are still virgins.

So why haven't at least some NGOs based their offices in this district to tackle the problem more aggressively? I mean I couldn't believe that in 2015 that other guy that was featured in this forum was allowed to walk hand-in-hand with a very young girl. What are these NGOs doing with their money and time?
Relying on Wikipedia articles is never a good idea. There are NGOs that have been based in Svay Pak for many years. Here's one that has been working there since 2007: http://agapewebsite.org/projects/rahabs-house/

It's not the open brothel area that it used to be, but it is still an area where pimps operate and can surreptitiously supply young women. Here's a recent report on the topic:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... story.html

None of this has much bearing on the AeroCambodia guy, he seems to have been involved in targeting kids from impoverished families in the city center. I also believe that the vast number of KTVs around town (which are almost exclusively patronized by local men) harbor a huge number of underage women. These places don't have windows, and rarely if ever attract any attention from the authorities. They are owned by powerful people, often high-ranking police or military. Who knows what goes on in them? The documentary "The Girls of Phnom Penh" gave an insight into the girls working in one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1440318/
Last edited by John Bingham on Wed May 27, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

underage women
We call those 'girls'.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

StroppyChops wrote:
underage women
We call those 'girls'.
Sure, I used the term "girls" too in my post. It is also possible for someone to be a woman and also legally underage.

Edited my post to include the name of an organization that I couldn't remember earlier.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

John Bingham wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
underage women
We call those 'girls'.
Sure, I used the term "girls" too in my post. It is also possible for someone to be a woman and also legally underage.
How so?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic