Thailand trounces Vietnam in tourist arrivals and visas

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
TheImplication
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thailand trounces Vietnam in tourist arrivals and visas

Post by TheImplication »

WillieW wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:10 am He pointed to the fact that roughly 70% of international visitors return to Thailand thanks to effective marketing, while the rate in Vietnam stands at as low as 25%.

I would suggest the main reason is the Vietnamese blatantly rip off foreign tourists. Theres nothing like being cheated many times a day to put one off a country. Plus the bullshit 30 day max tourist visa.
I remember the first time I arrived in Saigon and thought I would get some cash exchanged. The shop in the airport straight up short changed me. I corrected them and they immediately put the rest on the stack. What an introduction that was.
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

Thailand has always "trounced" Vietnam in tourist arrivals, so not sure why this is so shocking.

As for the return visitor issue, it's true that Thailand attracts more repeat tourists. A more developed and diverse tourism scene encourages that.

I take TAT's stats with a large grain of salt, however. When I was living and working in Thailand, I was told by a Thai colleague who had worked for TAT at one point that I, as a foreigner, would be counted as a "tourist arrival" anytime I entered the country, despite living there legally with all the required documentation.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

The key point of my post is that weak visa policy is strangling VN's foreign tourist numbers whereas Thailand's far more open policy is paying off -- though some common external factors serve to restrict the success of TH's tourist entry menu, like everywhere.

Based on various posts on expat forums and checks with a VN agent, VN is still not offering the 90-day tourist visa or the 12-month visa to Americans. Can't fathom why but something must be going on in the hierarchy of government. One guess is that there's such a huge shortage of hospitality staff throughout the country that VN is playing it safe. Also, the domestic tourist travel is quite robust.

But here we are, four months since the VN re-opening and the number of foreign travellers is pretty low, this despite huge Google search numbers for Vietnam destinations. As many western foreigners said time and time again in comments, they refuse to visit on a paltry 30-day paid visa or 15-day visa waiver. (Of course, the largest source of VN visitors is from the giant northern neighbour, which has virtually banned travel.) Maybe something more attractive will be advanced by the VN government when we get closer to this year's high season.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ExPenhMan wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:49 am The key point of my post is that weak visa policy is strangling VN's foreign tourist numbers whereas Thailand's far more open policy is paying off -- though some common external factors serve to restrict the success of TH's tourist entry menu, like everywhere.

Based on various posts on expat forums and checks with a VN agent, VN is still not offering the 90-day tourist visa or the 12-month visa to Americans. Can't fathom why but something must be going on in the hierarchy of government. One guess is that there's such a huge shortage of hospitality staff throughout the country that VN is playing it safe. Also, the domestic tourist travel is quite robust.

But here we are, four months since the VN re-opening and the number of foreign travellers is pretty low, this despite huge Google search numbers for Vietnam destinations. As many western foreigners said time and time again in comments, they refuse to visit on a paltry 30-day paid visa or 15-day visa waiver. (Of course, the largest source of VN visitors is from the giant northern neighbour, which has virtually banned travel.) Maybe something more attractive will be advanced by the VN government when we get closer to this year's high season.
30 days is the same as Cambodia, laos and Burma

2019; 14.3 of the 18 or so million were from Asia- --Korea & china were 10 of those
Except for the Asians, Vietnam ( as is Cambodia, Laos and Burma) is an add on destination, as soon as Thailand numbers climb, i expect the others in the area to climb as well

I've been in se asia since the early 80's still never been to Vietnam nor have any intention of going
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Plan B
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Plan B »

Vietnam doesn't seem in any hurry to change from its present visa structure. Pressure has been building for new longer visas to be offered but seems still not any time soon. Must be tough on tourist focused business.

Also a lot of expats have moved away from Vietnam and are now in Cambodia. That's another source of income local businesses miss out on.

Cambodia deservedly the winner.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I'll help the Comrades out, I have my eVisa and will head to Vietnam at the end of this month. Would have preferred the old 3-month multi-entry visa, but it is what it is, 30 days will be okay.

I've never been ripped off in Vietnam myself. A lot could be said about the perceived lack of "friendliness" of the Vietnamese compared with others in the region and there's some truth in it, but for me, the country itself is stunning and they're friendly "enough". So in a nutshell, unlike with Cambodia and Thailand, the people aren't a draw for me - but also no reason to stay away. I find Middle Easterners much worse (outright nasty in fact) and I still visited.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Alex wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:25 pm
...but for me, the country itself is stunning and they're friendly "enough".
Which parts of or places in Vietnam do you find stunning and would recommend?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
WillieW
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by WillieW »

Yes . Im generalizing of course. There are many honest Vietnamese people. But 20 years of living and travelling in Vietnam I know how they cheat a whitey especially one who doesnt speak the lingo. They even cheat travelling Vietnamese. Speaking a few words of Vietnamese will definitely save you being cheated a lot but the average tourist is just a sitting target. Thailand may have more organized scams aimed at tourists but I talking about the everyday rip off overcharging which Vietnam excells at.
Be your own toy.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Going to Phuket on Monday for a visa run boots on the ground say its good to go... :beer3:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:47 pm Going to Phuket on Monday for a visa run boots on the ground say its good to go... :beer3:
you travelling overland?
air aisa via bangkok PP one way ONLY $96
things are pickling up there friends say but its been raining nearly everyday for the past 2 weeks
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic