Visa & Passport Renewal

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Visa & Passport Renewal

Post by Alex »

Since moving to Thailand, not a single passport has lasted me more than 4 years, typically just about 3 years. I tend to renew it (in Bangkok) when I have something like 6-8 free pages left. I think trying to squeeze as much time as possible out of a passport isn't worth the potential worries - all things considered, replacing it a bit earlier than necessary adds a negligible cost.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:42 pm
Kenr wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:08 pm I do not doubt anything you say concerning these issues and I feel silly asking this. I have read that you need at least 6 months of validity left in order to apply for a visa extension, but I believe you are saying that you need at least 1 1/2 years of validity remaining in order to apply for a 1 year extension? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?
You need 6 months validity remaining on your passport from the Expiry Date of your new Extension of Stay, so yes, you need to have 18 months remaining on your passport to apply for a 12 month EOS - 12 months for a 6 month EOS - 9 months for a 3 month EOS - 7 months for a 1 month EOS.

Many people don't realise this and get a shock when told by Visa agents or the DoI that they are not eligible for the EOS period they are applying for, or not eligible for an EOS at all and are required to leave the country or go into overstay while waiting for a replacement passport.
Thanks for posting that, I need to check what the situation is here next door. I've got a 9 month gap next year between visa renewal and passport expiry and been mulling over renewal options and the timing. With the UK delays and no imminent necessity for travel I can see more upside to renewing well ahead of time than running it closer to the wire and complicating any potential family emergency travel requirement.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Alex wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:05 pm Since moving to Thailand, not a single passport has lasted me more than 4 years, typically just about 3 years. I tend to renew it (in Bangkok) when I have something like 6-8 free pages left. I think trying to squeeze as much time as possible out of a passport isn't worth the potential worries - all things considered, replacing it a bit earlier than necessary adds a negligible cost.
Yeah it’s funny that a US 28 page passport only has 17 useable pages and the 52 page passport only has 43 useable pages. They should probably call it what is is, 17 and 43.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kenr wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:12 pm
Alex wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:05 pm Since moving to Thailand, not a single passport has lasted me more than 4 years, typically just about 3 years. I tend to renew it (in Bangkok) when I have something like 6-8 free pages left. I think trying to squeeze as much time as possible out of a passport isn't worth the potential worries - all things considered, replacing it a bit earlier than necessary adds a negligible cost.
Yeah it’s funny that a US 28 page passport only has 17 useable pages and the 52 page passport only has 43 useable pages. They should probably call it what is is, 17 and 43.
all US passports issued overseas are 52 pages of which 8 are unusable for visas ( page 1-7 and page 52)
and 3 are marked for endorsements ( 49,50, 51) but can be used for visas
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Kenr wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:12 pm
I think no Western expat living in Asia would even consider not getting the "biggest" passport offered by their country. The amount of stamps and stickers they still like to put in is ridiculous, although it's getting a bit better with electronic visas being on the rise.

Elsewhere in the world, on the other hand. In Europe I don't even need a passport.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic