Back in Siem Reap: first impressions

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Back in Siem Reap: first impressions

Post by hanno »

I finally made it back after more than 2.5 years to visit my Princess.

Still no direct flights from Hanoi, so I had to fly via HCMC. Both airports were not as busy as I thought they would be (holiday season in Vietnam).

The last leg was supposed to be on an ATR but we ended up on a big plane which I estimated to be about 80% full. I had applied for an E-visa and Vietnam Airlines handed out immigration, arrival, and health forms on the plane. Most people seemed to get their visa on arrival so I was first in line at immigration. The official was friendly and even said hello, a first for me. Ours was the only flight and I was in front of the airport, cold Angkor in hand, 15 minutes after touchdown.

I was busy catching up with the family during the drive and did not pay much attention. What was noticeable were all the closed hotels, including my old hotel, and the massive roads everywhere. Even what used to be minor roads are now at least 2 lanes.

I had dinner at Maybe Later Mexican restaurant. It was decent but not cheap. I did actually want to go to Crocodile Bistro but could not find the new location.

I will head to town now and see what is open, what is new, what has disappeared permanently.
Last edited by hanno on Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Back in Siem Reap: first impressions

Post by rozzieoz »

Wild is still open.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Soyoung123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soyoung123 »

Welcome back!
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

I first came to Siem Reap in 2014 on business, when I was working in Vietnam. It was crowded with tourists and backpackers but everything was open, vibrant and bustling, all the markets, the night market, even Hard Rock Cafe where I had a couple of meals. I remember the great Filipino band upstairs on the corner of Pub Street, I think it was the Temple.
I came back to retire in 2019 and it was just starting to decline, and within 6 months it was a ghost town. Later in 2020 the nightmare of the 38 Road Improvement started; impassable roads, mud and debris everywhere, the whole city was a disaster zone right up until earlier this year. Now its back to being a tidy little town, easy to get around, friendly and colourful. Not too many tourists which is a blessing unless you are a hotel owner. Every expat I know loves it here not just for the huge variety of cheap bars and restaurants, but the pretty river walks, the lack of traffic problems, and the entertainment which is reawakening. Those who ride bikes can take weekend runs up to Banteay Sreay or Phnom Krom on near-empty roads, or further for the more adventurous, and a ride around West Baray is always a good day out, with a hidden ruined temple on the way. If anyone lives in Cambodia but have always stayed in Phnom Penh, you are missing out on the country's jewel.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

So do you think the road improvements have actually improved the little town centre of siem reap or what?

Can you upload a video of pub Street and all these like central area for us to see please
More than just any old backpacker.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

snookieboi wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:15 pm So do you think the road improvements have actually improved the little town centre of siem reap or what?

Can you upload a video of pub Street and all these like central area for us to see please
youtube? There are loads of them
work is for people who cant find truffles
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

snookieboi wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:15 pm So do you think the road improvements have actually improved the little town centre of siem reap or what?

I'm not hdgh29 but definitely yes, the road improvements have made a big impact. It looks much more organised and nicer now. Lot of videos on Youtube. Here's couple

snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

Thanks

I saw already the last video.

Pub Street looks quite normal 👍

Cheers
More than just any old backpacker.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

snookieboi wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:59 am Thanks

I saw already the last video.

Pub Street looks quite normal 👍

Cheers
Never cared much for Pub Street and I like it even less now that most of it is owned by Temple group.

I think the roads and parking spaces are a huge improvement and wished Vietnam could pull off the same.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I see it hasn't taken them long to fill the pavements with crap forcing people to walk on the streets. I suppose it's better than pavements being used as car parking but that will be the next step.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic