Online interview with U.K. passport office

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Taff
Tourist
Great Britain

Online interview with U.K. passport office

Post by Taff »

Hi,
I’ve got an online interview with U.K. passport office regarding an application for our daughter’s U.K. passport.
Any idea of the sort of questions they’re going to ask?

Cheers.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Online interview with U.K. passport office

Post by Bluenose »

Never had one of these interviews, but I would make a crib sheet that has as many dates that might be relevant and that those are the dates shown on any documentation, and also ensure you and your other half are able to independently give the same answer to any given question. Sometimes it's inconsistencies they are looking for
Taff
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Taff »

Cheers, will certainly do that.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

I did one of these for my son’s passport. The first questions were to establish that I’m really me (where was I born, what school did I go to etc). Then questions about when I moved to Cambodia and my relationship with his mother. Then she looked at the photos of him that we’d provided, commented on how much like both of us he looked and how cute he was and that was the end of it.
Taff
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Taff »

That’s an encouraging response. Thank you.
Taff
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Taff »

Thanks for both your responses. Interview went well and passport should be issued within about 2 weeks ( + time to ship to Phnom Penh I guess) - not bad from March 14th when application was submitted!!
Interviewer went through family history with obvious deliberate mistakes which were noticed and corrected. As was said, they are trying to find inconsistencies.
If anyone else reads this at a later date it is worth saying that the original passport office email asking to fix up an online interview can be made by someone already in the U.K. providing they know the applicant and child’s full names, dates of birth, email and Cambodian phone number. This saves a fortune phoning on a mobile from Cambodia and It’sa freephone number in U.K. it took 62 minutes for the passport office to answer the phone and a further 35 minutes to fix the interview date and time.

Once again thanks for the help.
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

Taff wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:07 am Hi,
I’ve got an online interview with U.K. passport office regarding an application for our daughter’s U.K. passport.

Cheers.
Looking to apply for my 2. Did you apply online or did you go through the local UK passport agency (vfsglobal)?

If you have any advice post interview it would be most helpful and greatly appreciated
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Taff wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:46 pm
If anyone else reads this at a later date it is worth saying that the original passport office email asking to fix up an online interview can be made by someone already in the U.K. providing they know the applicant and child’s full names, dates of birth, email and Cambodian phone number. This saves a fortune phoning on a mobile from Cambodia and It’sa freephone number in U.K. it took 62 minutes for the passport office to answer the phone and a further 35 minutes to fix the interview date and time.
Or use skype to call the UK from Cambodia. UK land line calls cost $0.075 per minute.

Which platform was used for the interview? Last year you had to download Skype for Business.

BTW, they can ask for more info or documents post interview. That request will come by email.

For general info, when you have the interview, they will insist you are alone in the room at the time. They will always ask at least one question that surprises you and cannot prepare for.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Element6 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:00 am
Taff wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:07 am Hi,

Cheers.
Looking to apply for my 2. Did you apply online or did you go through the local UK passport agency (vfsglobal)?

If you have any advice post interview it would be most helpful and greatly appreciated
You have to make a paper application that you submit through VFS. There is a thread on this with a checklist of things to include (I wrote the list). Happy searching.
Taff
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Taff »

Completely agree with ‘armchair lawyer’
Read and memorise dates and places submitted with your application. Above all, have patience! It’s a slow process.
Our application was submitted in mid March. Three months later an email (in junk) asked for further documentation including all pre natal clinic visits and check ups and even pre natal scans. When the interview took place one set of questions was about the name of the clinic, when the appointments took place and the time it took and route used to get there from our apartment.

Interview took place about 3 weeks ago and we were told it would take about 2 weeks to complete the process. We phoned the passport office last Thursday to be told (eventually) that the examiner still had the application. It was to be “expedited” and we’re to phone again next week if nothing has been heard. It still has to get from U.K. to Cambodia!

Will update in due course.
Good luck.
Taff
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic