Online interview with U.K. passport office

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Online interview with U.K. passport office

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:22 am
Freightdog wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:14 am Penang. Send a postcard
Yeah, I am thinking Penang too. I'm on Google Maps at the moment locating watering holes and curry houses, then finding a hotel within walking distance from them both.
Another vote for Penang. There aren't many places in Southeast Asia I consider to be as enjoyable as they were when first visited, but Penang is definitely one of the exceptions.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:33 pm To the applicants who applied for a child’s first UK passport, I’d like to know how long the entire process took you, from the date the application was submitted at VFS, until you either received the passport, or were informed that the application has been denied.

For my son, the application was submitted 28 July 2022.
It wasn’t received in the UK until 3rd August, and they billed my account on 5th August.

Because the application had not begun processing, there was no way to check progress, which I discovered in late August when I called them to check on receipt of supporting documents.
The application then sat idle for 4 months before it was looked at mid November, at which point I was informed that most of the supporting documents were missing or incomplete.
So a whole new pack of documents was prepared and submitted.
I was then informed in mid January that they needed one further document, which was duly submitted.
Our invite for interview was received mid February, and we had the video interview 10days later.
We received a new request, mid March, for updated passport photos as the application was now more than 6 months old. Something that they didn’t acknowledge in January when it reached 6 months.
These were submitted to VFS on 20th March, and received around 28/29th March. But these have not yet been put on their system.

Yesterday, I was informed by email that processing will take a minimum of 31weeks once all documents are received, which potentially is going to be sometime mid/late August 2023, if the final final documents submitted in January start that clock running.

That’s 13months in total, and 4 months of that time with them doing absolutely nothing.
That’s mad. I think it took a couple of months for us, maybe 3 at most (this would have been late 2019).
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Success, of sorts. After 9 1/2 months, I received an email today confirming that my lad’s passport has been issued. All it needs to do now is get to Cambodia. They quote 3-6 weeks, could be longer. What with national strike actions, cyber attacks on Royal Mail, and a largely lack lustre postal service, I wonder how long this will really take?
What breed of flying rat makes the best courier pigeon?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:35 pm Success, of sorts. After 9 1/2 months, I received an email today confirming that my lad’s passport has been issued. All it needs to do now is get to Cambodia. They quote 3-6 weeks, could be longer. What with national strike actions, cyber attacks on Royal Mail, and a largely lack lustre postal service, I wonder how long this will really take?
One attack. Last January...... But they use it as an excuse in every occasion. If I were Charles III I took the word 'Royal' back. :stir:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:37 pm
Freightdog wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:35 pm Success, of sorts. After 9 1/2 months, I received an email today confirming that my lad’s passport has been issued. All it needs to do now is get to Cambodia. They quote 3-6 weeks, could be longer. What with national strike actions, cyber attacks on Royal Mail, and a largely lack lustre postal service, I wonder how long this will really take?
One attack. Last January...... But they use it as an excuse in every occasion. If I were Charles III I took the word 'Royal' back. :stir:
If I were him, I’d claw back the HM part from the passport office, too. Progress, as far as I can see, has only happened because actual formal internal complaints have been raised.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:41 pm
If I were him, I’d claw back the HM part from the passport office, too. Progress, as far as I can see, has only happened because actual formal internal complaints have been raised.
Aren't the French just pestering by delivering just a few passports every week? :stir:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:46 pm
Freightdog wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:41 pm
Aren't the French just pestering by delivering just a few passports every week? :stir:
Having now absconded from the EU, I harbour a suspicion of the UK that some of the Frenchness has hung on, and is now being applied with equal zeal to industrial relations.
Should we ballot for a nice copper statue to sit between Buck house and Trafalgar Square?
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Did they say how it was being sent? It's normally with DHL which means it should be at VFS or wherever within a week.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bluenose wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:45 am
Did they say how it was being sent? It's normally with DHL which means it should be at VFS or wherever within a week.
British passports made in France, sent with Deutsche Post.

The sheer irony of it all.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Firstly, congrats.

Aren't they sending it back to VFS, assuming that's where the process started? Otherwise, it will be sent to the address you applied from in the UK.

They cant seriously be considering sending it via Royal Mail to Phnom Penh Post Office?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic