Not good news if your in the tourism industry

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Not good news if your in the tourism industry

Post by Alex »

ExPenhMan wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:33 pm As if low tourist travel is not enough. Hospitality industry workers in Vietnam and elsewhere are reluctant to return to work after all the start-and-stop interruptions of business due various government interventions. Employers in the Vietnam hospitality industry are crying about massive staff shortages.
I thought about this, too. If I had worked in the tourist industry when Covid hit, going through difficult times making ends meet and trying to find a new job during the pandemic, I think it's very unlikely that I'd even consider going back to work in hospitality. Unless I hadn't secured a decent other job in the meantime or got offered a much higher salary.

Many who were actually affected (unlike myself) probably think along the same lines, so where does that leave us? They get people who haven't successfully adapted, or they need to pay a premium.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

truffledog wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:40 pm The italian tourism industry has MASSIVE problems to recruit staff in the hospitality sector as most former employees have found work in other industries during COVID. The international tourist numbers are down 20% only from the peak in 2019. But most italians prefer to spend holidays within the country instead of abroad so the TOTAL number of tourists is near 2019 peak.
You can replace Italy by France and still be correct, even with full-time contracts with 4 days of work per week.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

This is what should have been expected from Covid recovery. Add in inflation and it pushes it back more.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Ghostwriter wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:00 am
truffledog wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:40 pm The italian tourism industry has MASSIVE problems to recruit staff in the hospitality sector as most former employees have found work in other industries during COVID. The international tourist numbers are down 20% only from the peak in 2019. But most italians prefer to spend holidays within the country instead of abroad so the TOTAL number of tourists is near 2019 peak.
You can replace Italy by France and still be correct, even with full-time contracts with 4 days of work per week.
Staff recruitment in the airports is the big problem in the UK but everyone is blaming Brexit, what's the excuse in France and Italy?

Out of control inflation, the current cost of living crisis, which is only going to get worse, and rising interest rates is a recipe for economic disaster with the level of government, corporate and personal debt. Discretionary spending like tourism and going out to drink or eat are all going to take a big hit in the next year or two, and maybe much longer.

A windfall tax on the banks, who are going to be raking it in very soon, might be a good policy for anyone trying to get elected anytime soon.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:32 pm what's the excuse in France and Italy?
Wages have been too small since ever, also people feel more needy of family friendly workhours. Working noon + evening isn"t seen as attractive anymore. Chefs are stressed, stress doesn't attract much...

I also suspect lazyness increase in youth.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Ghostwriter wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:51 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:32 pm what's the excuse in France and Italy?
Wages have been too small since ever, also people feel more needy of family friendly workhours. Working noon + evening isn"t seen as attractive anymore. Chefs are stressed, stress doesn't attract much...

I also suspect lazyness increase in youth.
And regarding airport staff, these people have found other jobs with better hours, as you say, but also not having to deal with angry and frustrated hoards of people all day for crap pay.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Yeah, and hard to blame them.

Recently, a 35.000 lugages fuck-up didn't improve the situation at Paris airports ^^
https://www.francetvinfo.fr/economie/ae ... 52545.html
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

In my eyes, everything is still going to good, if there would be really a problem, (moneywise), there was no lack of staff, everybody crying they dont have jobs or dont want to work weekends ?? Especially the youth, they have no work-ethic. Just get it from mum and dad, why should they work. I worked from my 18th day and night, and now i can relax, but knever cried about working weekends or nighttime. They need to move their asses more, ofcourse they all want to travel abroad and try to make money with a YT-travelblog, but if it doesnt make money, they cry !! If the crisis hits double, maybe some will move their asses again. On Belgian TV they said this week, if you go to the supermarket, the prises rised 12% since newyear. Oooh, yes, so bad: i spended before about 60 euro every week for that, thats now 67 euro, thats 3 beers here. Who cares, just change a little your mentality and there is no prblem at all !! But if you here 12%, oooh my goddd . . . And ofcourse thats a reason people spend less if travelling !! ??
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Bongmab69 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:12 pm Especially the youth, they have no work-ethic.
We seem to know very disparate youths then boomer. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

tourism blah blah yes all very sad but let's look at what is important here. The title of the post should read "you are" or "you're", but certainly not "your". In my day someone would be in line for a good spanking - just be grateful times have changed.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic