Cambodia needs safer street designs

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia needs safer street designs

Post by Username Taken »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:35 am
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:13 am 4 simple things that could be done
  • Mandatory 2 hour "how to drive, laws" with video and teacher before license is issued
  • Education
  • Driver consideration of others on the road
  • Enforcement of laws
wont happen
OK, I'll bite. Why won't it happen?
For any of the above to happen, you need to eradicate corruption. 'That' will never happen.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:58 am
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:13 am 4 simple things that could be done
  • Mandatory 2 hour "how to drive, laws" with video and teacher before license is issued
  • Education
  • Enforcement of laws
wont happen
For any of the above to happen, you need to eradicate corruption. 'That' will never happen.
Good answer. Thank you.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:03 am
Username Taken wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:58 am
  • Education
  • Enforcement of laws
wont happen
Good answer. Thank you.
I remember reading a report somewhere that there is a direct correlation between IQ & EQ and accidents (not just road, but accidents in general).
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:15 am I remember reading a report somewhere that there is a direct correlation between IQ & EQ and accidents (not just road, but accidents in general).
This would explain a lot. General IQ (pattern recognition, problem solving) plus EG ("the ability to understand and manage your own emotions, and those of the people around you").
https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article ... r%20people.

(Incidentally, I have seen some awful driving in Japan. Not aggressive typically, but more of a lack of spatial awareness and anticipation of multiple moving objects.)
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Sounds like cultural imperialism... imposing modern western standards of "normality" on an ancient Asian society instead of allowing the energies of the cosmos to flow naturally.

The art of feng shui should thus be applied.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

sigmoid wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:33 am Sounds like cultural imperialism... imposing modern western standards of "normality" on an ancient Asian society instead of allowing the energies of the cosmos to flow naturally.

The art of feng shui should thus be applied.
Except this is isn’t an ancient Asian society, and what you so glibly dismiss as “western standards of normality” in this context is actually well learned lessons learned over decades of exposure to the same technologies.

The only potential “ancient” bit being the disinclination to learn from other’s mistakes.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Traditional harmonious culture? Image
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:42 am
atst wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:22 am
  • Education
  • Enforcement of laws
wont happen
Yep just like in the west where there's no accidents
Is there any reason a car needs to go 200kph?
Is there any reason why a car capable of speeds between 0 and 200kph can’t be operated at the speed appropriate for the situation?

In what situation do you need to drive at 200kph in Cambodia or anywhere else?
I see no need for cars to go at such speeds unless designed for racing.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

[/media]
Big Daikon wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:21 am
ego bibere nimis wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:15 am I remember reading a report somewhere that there is a direct correlation between IQ & EQ and accidents (not just road, but accidents in general).
This would explain a lot. General IQ (pattern recognition, problem solving) plus EG ("the ability to understand and manage your own emotions, and those of the people around you").
https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article ... r%20people.

(Incidentally, I have seen some awful driving in Japan. Not aggressive typically, but more of a lack of spatial awareness and anticipation of multiple moving objects.)
[url]
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

atst wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:43 pm
Freightdog wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:42 am
atst wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:22 am
  • Education
  • Enforcement of laws
wont happen
Yep just like in the west where there's no accidents
Is there any reason a car needs to go 200kph?
Is there any reason why a car capable of speeds between 0 and 200kph can’t be operated at the speed appropriate for the situation?

In what situation do you need to drive at 200kph in Cambodia or anywhere else?
I see no need for cars to go at such speeds unless designed for racing.
If you had a car capable of only 100kph, there are some dullards who would try to drive it at 100kph, in the wrong place. Why does a car capable of any particular performance level have to be driven at that performance level in front of a school, in a car park?

A car capable of only 100kph and driven badly, maintained badly is also unlikely to have the other performance characteristics, such as working brakes, decent tyres. Etc.

People focus on speed when the problem is usually the wrong speed for the condition.

Too fast into bends, approaching junctions. Speed itself is not the problem. Wrong application.

There is the capability to have speed limiting. It’s mandatory in some countries. The engine power remains the same, it’s a limited on speed. Limit the car to a 100kph. Someone will still drive at a stupid speed in the wrong location.

Ps. Thank you for twisting my words to something I didn’t say. Much appreciated.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic