Cannot help some people

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Cannot help some people

Post by Tootsfriend »

It's impossible to help some people. My neighbour has a water pump installed on the 3 Rd floor to pump water into the header tank. I can hear it turning on, off, on, off every minute, day and night and it must be costing them a fortune in electricity . The normal water pressure gets to the second floor and the pump is sucking the water up to the tank. Some nights the water pressure is really good and it gets to our tank with out any need for a pump to be used, but the neighbours pump continues to go on, off, on, off.
I tried to explain to them but they just denied even having a water pump.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Cannot help some people

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Doesn't sounds like a normal pump for a water tank, it's likely a pressure pump connected to their main plumbing because they like getting constant pressure upstairs. What's the issue?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:38 pm Doesn't sounds like a normal pump for a water tank, it's likely a pressure pump connected to their main plumbing because they like getting constant pressure upstairs. What's the issue?

Anyone that is mechanically minded, as in plumbing, knows water pumps are not designed to suck water, they push water, that's why they are a pressure pump and are usually located close to the water supply. In this case the constant pressure and supply comes from a header tank, not the pressure pump. When a electrical motor starts, it draws a larger amount of electricity, then settles down to a normal running load, so this pump is using large amounts of electricity with the constant starting of trying to fill the header tank.

Hey, it's no issue for me, but I always try to help someone, in this case a neighbor, who might not know that some problem exists that they don't know about.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

So you suspect it's filling the header tank, or drawing from it? I don't understand. In some areas, there isn't enough pressure to fill tanks, so they use a pump and a float switch, then gravity from the tank to the house. However, sometimes they also use a pressure pump (either directly after the tank or straight off the mains on the ground floor) that switches on whenever there's a slight drop in line pressure (faucet turned on, for example). It sounds to me like you'd most likely be hearing a pressure pump rather than a normal one as it would likely run for 10 mins at a time, then switch off for several hours if not days. Pressure pumps can be heard anytime someone showers, turns on the faucet and so forth. If it's literally every minute, then the pump obviously has an issue, or they have a leak somewhere.

Either way, with people like that there's not much you can do. Best not to lose sleep over it (unless it's actually keeping you awake!).

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

I agree that you can not help some people, but as mentioned above, best not to lose sleep over it.

If you stress and worry about every thing that is "wrong" in this country, big or small, you'll never sleep peacefully again.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:52 pm So you suspect it's filling the header tank, or drawing from it? I don't understand. In some areas, there isn't enough pressure to fill tanks, so they use a pump and a float switch, then gravity from the tank to the house. However, sometimes they also use a pressure pump (either directly after the tank or straight off the mains on the ground floor) that switches on whenever there's a slight drop in line pressure (faucet turned on, for example). It sounds to me like you'd most likely be hearing a pressure pump rather than a normal one as it would likely run for 10 mins at a time, then switch off for several hours if not days. Pressure pumps can be heard anytime someone showers, turns on the faucet and so forth. If it's literally every minute, then the pump obviously has an issue, or they have a leak somewhere.

Either way, with people like that there's not much you can do. Best not to lose sleep over it (unless it's actually keeping you awake!).

I don't understand.

Well at least you admit you dont understand so I'll take your comments with a grain of salt. Now if only my neighbor had said they dont understand, I would have shown them the setup in our building, which cost $20 [ not including pump ] to install and works perfectly, probably saving them $20 a month in electricity. Unlike the setup in other buildings in our street where they have put ugly pipework outside and have to drag a pump and cable outside every time they run out of water.
No, I dont lose sleep over it, it's not my problem.

Note, our pump is installed inside under the stairwell out of sight and all buildings in our street have the same plan layout.

CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

For a guy not losing any sleep over this ... You sure are spending a lot of time moaning about it .... Even pics now .... Nope, can see this isn't a major concern for ya :lol:

If I may .... Is it that you dislike poor plumbing work .... Or is it you dislike having your unsolicited advice rebuffed ??

That's a rhetorical question of course .... Carry on .....

:roll:

quote=Tootsfriend post_id=553256 time=1657413858 user_id=20235]
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:52 pm So you suspect it's filling the header tank, or drawing from it? I don't understand. In some areas, there isn't enough pressure to fill tanks, so they use a pump and a float switch, then gravity from the tank to the house. However, sometimes they also use a pressure pump (either directly after the tank or straight off the mains on the ground floor) that switches on whenever there's a slight drop in line pressure (faucet turned on, for example). It sounds to me like you'd most likely be hearing a pressure pump rather than a normal one as it would likely run for 10 mins at a time, then switch off for several hours if not days. Pressure pumps can be heard anytime someone showers, turns on the faucet and so forth. If it's literally every minute, then the pump obviously has an issue, or they have a leak somewhere.

I don't understand.

Well at least you admit you dont understand so I'll take your comments with a grain of salt. Now if only my neighbor had said they dont understand, I would have shown them the setup in our building, which cost $20 [ not including pump ] to install and works perfectly, probably saving them $20 a month in electricity. Unlike the setup in other buildings in our street where they have put ugly pipework outside and have to drag a pump and cable outside every time they run out of water.
No, I dont lose sleep over it, it's not my problem.

Note, our pump is installed inside under the stairwell out of sight and all buildings in our street have the same plan layout.

[/quote]
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Quote,

ainCanuck
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:19 pm
Forum: The Rest Of The World
Topic: Will guns ever be outlawed in America
Replies: 55
Views: 1280
Canada
Re: Will guns ever be outlawed in America
Thanks for the quick reply, I stand corrected ...at least in your instance ..... a quick perusal in this post; in many many posts on CEO; and in my observation, throughout the internet as a whole, to much bandwidth is taken by off handed, ill thought our quips that add nothing to the conversation .....

Sometimes I just have to agree with you Captain.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

Touche ....

I must thank you for proving my point so succinctly.

You took a quote not only out of context but not even related to the discussion I tried to initiate with you.

Add to it you've no rebuttal of any substance only solidifies my quoted position ....

I'm confident you'll not 'lose any sleep' over you complete lack of self awareness and utter inability to debate a given subject with clarity ....

Tootsfriend wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:26 am Quote,

ainCanuck
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:19 pm
Forum: The Rest Of The World
Topic: Will guns ever be outlawed in America
Replies: 55
Views: 1280
Canada
Re: Will guns ever be outlawed in America
Thanks for the quick reply, I stand corrected ...at least in your instance ..... a quick perusal in this post; in many many posts on CEO; and in my observation, throughout the internet as a whole, to much bandwidth is taken by off handed, ill thought our quips that add nothing to the conversation .....

Sometimes I just have to agree with you Captain.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

... a quick perusal in this post; in many many posts on CEO; and in my observation, throughout the internet as a whole, to much bandwidth is taken by off handed, ill thought our quips that add nothing to the conversation .....

I like your quotation very much Captain. I hope you dont mind me using it in the future as it describes exactly how I feel on many of the topics posted on here.
Thank-you
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic