What Bike to Pass Test on?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

What Bike to Pass Test on?

Post by hdgh29 »

Ok I know I will get a few well-meaning replies telling me a post like this has been answered many times before - thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions - but I was just wondering if anyone has done their motorbike test recently? A few years ago you could do the test on a pcx 150, an automatic but still get a license for other big non-auto bikes. Someone told me recently this has changed and doing the test even on a bike more than 125 if its an auto you still can't ride a non-auto. I have been riding my 200cc bike around town for a couple of years, no license, no problem, but I am now planning on a few road-trips and thinking about insurance so I might need a license for that. My only problem is that its a Phantom cruiser, and the wheelbase would make the figure 8s in the test a bit tricky, so thinking if I could do it on a 150 scooter it would be easier.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: What Bike to Pass Test on?

Post by AndyKK »

hdgh29 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:24 am Ok I know I will get a few well-meaning replies telling me a post like this has been answered many times before - thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions - but I was just wondering if anyone has done their motorbike test recently? A few years ago you could do the test on a pcx 150, an automatic but still get a license for other big non-auto bikes. Someone told me recently this has changed and doing the test even on a bike more than 125 if its an auto you still can't ride a non-auto. I have been riding my 200cc bike around town for a couple of years, no license, no problem, but I am now planning on a few road-trips and thinking about insurance so I might need a license for that. My only problem is that its a Phantom cruiser, and the wheelbase would make the figure 8s in the test a bit tricky, so thinking if I could do it on a 150 scooter it would be easier.
But then again, you would only qualify for the automatic motorcycle licence. I have heard this said many times about how more difficult the test is made for foreigners, such, you mention the cones, for the foreigners practical test the cones are placed half the distence apart than what is on the Khmer test.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
MrBen87
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MrBen87 »

I would suggest renting a Honda ftr 223( manual transmission ) for the day and do the test on that , pretty agile bike . I rented from visa place next to sundance $12 for the day but that was a while back
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

MrBen87 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:11 pm I would suggest renting a Honda ftr 223( manual transmission ) for the day and do the test on that , pretty agile bike . I rented from visa place next to sundance $12 for the day but that was a while back
Can rent without a licence?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Just adding, remember that rental bikes are often thrashed to hell, so riding them might make things more difficult for the test just because of how bad the condition is of the bike.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

MrBen87 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:11 pm I would suggest renting a Honda ftr 223( manual transmission ) for the day and do the test on that , pretty agile bike . I rented from visa place next to sundance $12 for the day but that was a while back
Actually I have been told that there are FTRs on site for people to take the test on. I have never ridden one, the only other bikes I have had was a CBR150 and various scooters (I didnt start riding bikes until I lived in Vietnam 6 years ago).
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic