What do expats do to pass their time in Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SmithEverton
Tourist
Cambodia

Re: What do expats do to pass their time in Phnom Penh

Post by SmithEverton »

Also near TK Central there is a place called The Playroom that has indoor archery and some other games.
The Goat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by The Goat »

Beer Tossing. Used to go out late night in a Lexus, a friend wearing a full body chicken suit, and buy hundreds of beers and toss them out for free to random tourists, tuk tuks, locals, etc. For example, would run up to security guards sitting alone and beer them. Everyone loved it. We accidentally threw a beer to a man who tried to catch it. It went over his head and hit a sleeping tuk driver. He wasn't mad, just woke up and drank the beer. Good times
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I had never heard of "pickleball"
than this showed up this morning

Can Pickleball Save America?
The sport, beloved for its democratic spirit, could unite the country—if it doesn’t divide itself first.
As in politics, a few famous families dominate pickleball, the fastest-growing sport in America. One is the Johnsons, of Florida. In January, on a breezy afternoon in Boca Raton, J. W. Johnson, a strapping nineteen-year-old with short brown bangs and a leather necklace, took to the court for a semifinal match at a tournament. Johnson is taciturn, with an often impenetrable expression. He was seeded second in the tournament; his opponent, Zane Navratil, a twenty-six-year-old former C.P.A. from Wisconsin, was seeded first. Pickleball, a tennis-like sport played on a smaller court, places a gentle strain on the body, and both men had the oxygenated flush of a long day of exercise.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022 ... MNYR012019
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Looks like fun... :beer3:
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

That's a very accurate description of the game. I only started playing for about 4 years. Never really played any other racquet sports before.

Love the game. It's also a very sociable game. All you have to do is show up at any Pickleball courts with a racquet and you will find someone to play with. There are people, in North America, who plan their holidays around locations/cities that have public Pickleball courts.

I know of a couple from northern Alberta in their 60s, who snowbirds in Arizona every winter. They leave around September in their RV and stop along the way for a couple of days at cities with Pickleball courts. They take a different routes on the way down and coming back. Been doing that for about 5+ years now. They now have met people in different cities they call friends.

Hopefully the game will find it's way to SE Asia. I'm kind of surprised that the game has not spread to UK, EU, Australia, New Zealand etc.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

The Goat wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:10 am Beer Tossing. Used to go out late night in a Lexus, a friend wearing a full body chicken suit, and buy hundreds of beers and toss them out for free to random tourists, tuk tuks, locals, etc. For example, would run up to security guards sitting alone and beer them. Everyone loved it. We accidentally threw a beer to a man who tried to catch it. It went over his head and hit a sleeping tuk driver. He wasn't mad, just woke up and drank the beer. Good times
Chicken suit guy from michigan? Also has a penchant for suits with shoulderpads?
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Newinkow wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:21 pm That's a very accurate description of the game. I only started playing for about 4 years. Never really played any other racquet sports before.

Love the game. It's also a very sociable game. All you have to do is show up at any Pickleball courts with a racquet and you will find someone to play with. There are people, in North America, who plan their holidays around locations/cities that have public Pickleball courts.

I know of a couple from northern Alberta in their 60s, who snowbirds in Arizona every winter. They leave around September in their RV and stop along the way for a couple of days at cities with Pickleball courts. They take a different routes on the way down and coming back. Been doing that for about 5+ years now. They now have met people in different cities they call friends.

Hopefully the game will find it's way to SE Asia. I'm kind of surprised that the game has not spread to UK, EU, Australia, New Zealand etc.
I know that game, one of the schools I went to as a kid had tennis courts set up with nets and paddles/tennis balls available. I think we played it in PE or something. We called it paddle ball though. It was a lot of fun and much easier than tennis.
The Goat
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by The Goat »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:14 pm
The Goat wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:10 am Beer Tossing. Used to go out late night in a Lexus, a friend wearing a full body chicken suit, and buy hundreds of beers and toss them out for free to random tourists, tuk tuks, locals, etc. For example, would run up to security guards sitting alone and beer them. Everyone loved it. We accidentally threw a beer to a man who tried to catch it. It went over his head and hit a sleeping tuk driver. He wasn't mad, just woke up and drank the beer. Good times
Chicken suit guy from michigan? Also has a penchant for suits with shoulderpads?
Spot on mate

:bow:
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Newinkow wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:21 pm That's a very accurate description of the game. I only started playing for about 4 years. Never really played any other racquet sports before.

I’ve seen guys in Greece playing a game on the beach using the same type of bats/paddles, but the object seemed to be to keep a rally going for as long as possible (Volleys only, no bounces allowed, or possible as it’s played on sand) rather than score points.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic