What do expats do to pass their time in Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: What do expats do to pass their time in Phnom Penh

Post by Alex »

GeeKay wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:10 am
bossho wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:37 am Mart drinking. Whether or not anyone on here admits to it is immaterial. Cambodia might just be THE Mart drinking tour de force of all of Asia and that is saying something as there are well known outstanding mart drinking spots in the region.
Excuse my ignorance but what is Mart Drinking?

Is it taking up a post near a mini mart or the like and grabbing refreshments from the said establishment?
The thing about mini marts in Cambodia is that they might even have set up chairs for you to take up post right upfront.
GeeKay
Expatriate
Australia

Post by GeeKay »

Alex wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:34 pm
GeeKay wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:10 am
bossho wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:37 am Mart drinking. Whether or not anyone on here admits to it is immaterial. Cambodia might just be THE Mart drinking tour de force of all of Asia and that is saying something as there are well known outstanding mart drinking spots in the region.
Excuse my ignorance but what is Mart Drinking?

Is it taking up a post near a mini mart or the like and grabbing refreshments from the said establishment?
The thing about mini marts in Cambodia is that they might even have set up chairs for you to take up post right upfront.
Count me in.

I knew there would be more to this place than you guys were letting on.
"Money lost, Nothing lost......Confidence lost, Everything lost"
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Yes, Mart drinking is just that, Mart drinking, and, as I stated earlier whether or not people admit to enjoying it is completely immaterial as Cambodia, IMHO, enjoys the best Mart drinking in East Asia.

Growing up in the States, where Mart drinking typically ends in hand cuffs and charges (it's illegal at every Mart in the US to open a container of alcohol) I've been endeared to and satiated with Mart drinking in Asia as a lifestyle choice for some years now.

Freedom is not free for anyone and it's an expensive air ticket to just go have a beer at the Mart for sure. I will not forget drinking at the 7- 11's in Shanghai or Shenzhen and exchanging greetings with police patrols that invariably offer expensive cigarettes 3 at at time to keep their face with a foreigner. Korean and Thai marts offer premium Mart experiences to be sure but the Khmer Marts are the quiet leaders of this path and, were it not for Covid and it's harsh rules, Cambodia Mart life would be coveted by indulgent and budget conscious folks everywhere.

Cheers!
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

MiniMart's terasses are made to entertain the potheads passing by, there's no other purpose so far.

I like that the younger female MiniMart intern staff is given a name tag written "trainee", it litterally means "slut" in Frog clean slang (trainée) which was funny and took me by surprise at the first encounter, that was weird enough for a start.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

The slut part I get but the terrasses only for potheads part I don't get.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

It's all about cheap charlies and drunkenness, which creates a lot of vaguely entertaining drama scenes that potheads like me laugh at when passing by.
Other than that, i wonder what would be the point of making new acquaintances there (bottom shelf westerners getting drunk on a bench ?), shopping regularly there ( more expensive) or starting a discussion there (not a place to grow roots).
It's a bit shitty without pot, slightly funny with it.

Maybe the 2nd purpose is to make these shop owner rich, but i wouldn't bother invest there with the drunkards & theft daily hassle.

You're kind of an expert on that ?
What next, grow the social ladder up to barstool extra fulltime surrounded by backpackers ?
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

It's probably impossible for me to flesh out your projections about things you know little of. I don't recall ever getting really wasted drinking 4% 12 oz cans of local beer however, I guess I'm just hard like that. I believe the ironies and joys of Mart drinking have been revealed enough. In all seriousness though, when you come from the States into a rich Mart scene anywhere in Asia it's hard not to be overwhelmed by the relative freedoms that we enjoy should we choose to.
GeeKay
Expatriate
Australia

Post by GeeKay »

bossho wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:08 am It's probably impossible for me to flesh out your projections about things you know little of. I don't recall ever getting really wasted drinking 4% 12 oz cans of local beer however, I guess I'm just hard like that. I believe the ironies and joys of Mart drinking have been revealed enough. In all seriousness though, when you come from the States into a rich Mart scene anywhere in Asia it's hard not to be overwhelmed by the relative freedoms that we enjoy should we choose to.
I think your post on this subject is quite succinct and sounds genuine.

I didn't read you mention anywhere that's all you ever do. I would say at a loose end I would enjoy some Mart Drinking and actually have done so in Thailand.

Hope to catch up on my coming trip or someday in the future. If you ever partake at an establishment offering San Miguel Lite keep an eye out for Jono.
"Money lost, Nothing lost......Confidence lost, Everything lost"
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Cheers mate
SmithEverton
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by SmithEverton »

I know you mentioned golf but I think you may have to travel out to country clubs courses for that and probably expensive. I have noticed an open field golf driving range is newly opened by me. ( It is near The Legend Cinema - Eden branch in Toul Kork.) You have to really zoom in on Google maps on the area. Looks impressive at night with being all lit up. ( Open till 10.00pm) I checked their website and there is a membership of different prices. ( I saw the price of 100 balls to hit for $5.00) Now I am not sure that involves a membership to also have but worth checking out. Either for yourself or any other reader on here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic