Is Kampot Town Turning into a Red Light District ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Plan B
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Is Kampot Town Turning into a Red Light District ?

Post by Plan B »

Believe me there is nil activity on the site. Completely stopped all work.

There is a few trucks about for a building across road which may cause confusion.

Just seemed like an over the top idea for a small river city to have a project like this in middle of the place. Certainly need to see Investment in Kampot but this project didn't seem a good fit.

Halting a development of this size must have impacted employment in Kampot.
Plan B
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Plan B »

orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Plan B wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:37 am Believe me there is nil activity on the site. Completely stopped all work. There is a few trucks about for a building across road which may cause confusion....... Halting a development of this size must have impacted employment in Kampot.
Curious. This reminds me of a similar Sihanoukville mystery. Around 2017, they constructed a brand new and massive four-lane boulevard running from Ekareach past the high school, straight down to the seaside road. But at that time, towards the sea, there was nothing at all built there. So, anyone ordinary in the community could only wonder why they had built such a big road to "nowhere" ... Another year passed, and suddenly they started building the Blue Bay condo hotel... Nobody knew anything about it... Until it was built. But obviously, the city fathers were clued in, and building roads anticipating huge new objects as yet undreamt of by the locals and expats... This proves all development in Cambodia comes from the very top down, and there is no accountability or cognizance of the law.

I think likewise, only a handful of folks who do not live in Kampot are aware of the true provenance of this project. Since, the posters above -- two or three of whom apparently live in Kampot -- can't even tell us clearly if the project is really active or dormant, then I would imagine any talk of its ownership belonging to Thais, or Chinese, or Cambodians, is also quite limited to the usual bar stool fabrications, with no substantive first-hand chats with the governor available to clarify the true scenario.

I do remember that there was a sort of online petition drawn up by a French guy a couple years ago, which garnered over 2,500 signatures, protesting the construction of this monstrosity before actual construction had begun. In fact, the petition had appealed to the simple fact that the structure intruded upon land designated as "heritage land" in the center of old Kampot. Of course, some apologists pretended that it was actually, "just outside" the boundary of the heritage area, which is untrue. Nevertheless, and no surprise, the petition amounted to nothing and no result... Just imagine the traffic congestion if they are able to fill this place up with people...

(As for employment in Kampot, 90% of construction workers are transient, so it affects nothing. Kampot locals are rentiers and not known to be a particularly friendly or hard-working bunch...)
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Plan B wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:25 am Image
I drew by maybe two weeks ago and there were some men in construction helmets strolling about the empty floors.

Did not notice any construction going on though, figured it was inspections of some sorts. Maybe they are waiting for the green light to continue after major cracks were already found on supporting pillars :stir:
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

ItWasntMe wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:03 pm
Plan B wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:25 am Image
I drew by maybe two weeks ago and there were some men in construction helmets strolling about the empty floors.

Did not notice any construction going on though, figured it was inspections of some sorts. Maybe they are waiting for the green light to continue after major cracks were already found on supporting pillars :stir:
From Kampot Red Light District to construction projects, I don't see any link.
Boredom is like a shroud
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

^^Meh, who cares. There's nothing happening down here, and I think the latest threads kind of confirm it.

Sometimes I find myself more caught up in where the latest potholes have emerged as my biggest concern of the day.
FrankReynolds
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by FrankReynolds »

Perhaps as most posters in kampot l are not interested in actual investment, there is only speculation in this thread. Maybe another thread is needed for construction and property chatter.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

orichá wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:45 am
Plan B wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:37 am Believe me there is nil activity on the site. Completely stopped all work. There is a few trucks about for a building across road which may cause confusion....... Halting a development of this size must have impacted employment in Kampot.
Curious. This reminds me of a similar Sihanoukville mystery. Around 2017, they constructed a brand new and massive four-lane boulevard running from Ekareach past the high school, straight down to the seaside road. But at that time, towards the sea, there was nothing at all built there. So, anyone ordinary in the community could only wonder why they had built such a big road to "nowhere" ... Another year passed, and suddenly they started building the Blue Bay condo hotel... Nobody knew anything about it... Until it was built. But obviously, the city fathers were clued in, and building roads anticipating huge new objects as yet undreamt of by the locals and expats... This proves all development in Cambodia comes from the very top down, and there is no accountability or cognizance of the law.

I think likewise, only a handful of folks who do not live in Kampot are aware of the true provenance of this project. Since, the posters above -- two or three of whom apparently live in Kampot -- can't even tell us clearly if the project is really active or dormant, then I would imagine any talk of its ownership belonging to Thais, or Chinese, or Cambodians, is also quite limited to the usual bar stool fabrications, with no substantive first-hand chats with the governor available to clarify the true scenario.

I do remember that there was a sort of online petition drawn up by a French guy a couple years ago, which garnered over 2,500 signatures, protesting the construction of this monstrosity before actual construction had begun. In fact, the petition had appealed to the simple fact that the structure intruded upon land designated as "heritage land" in the center of old Kampot. Of course, some apologists pretended that it was actually, "just outside" the boundary of the heritage area, which is untrue. Nevertheless, and no surprise, the petition amounted to nothing and no result... Just imagine the traffic congestion if they are able to fill this place up with people...

(As for employment in Kampot, 90% of construction workers are transient, so it affects nothing. Kampot locals are rentiers and not known to be a particularly friendly or hard-working bunch...)
Blue Bay project was announced publicly in 2016, though with a different name back then. It relaunched as Blue Bay in summer 2017. Sunshine Bay hotel project (another big building next to the Blue Bay) was announced publicly 2015.

I feel the biggest problem is that many expats do not speak the local language or are just ignorant in what is really happening around them. Not speaking language seem to be biggest problem as many news articles that are copy & pasted through google translate on this forum too are wrong because google translate doesn't do that great job in translating khmer yet. And many times those small tiny facts that are important part of the news end up being wrong, and then those mistranslated news are passed along on those bar stools.
notagain
BANNED
Italy

Post by notagain »

What are they talking about? The "red light district" atmosphere has been part of that area for a very long time. The restored yellow building once a fish market was your very average 90s style "dirty nightclub" not so long ago.
Last edited by notagain on Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

What are YOU talking about? I first visited Kampot in the 90's and if you wanted female company you had to search for it quite a bit. There was nothing of the sort in the middle of town like it has now. And you can see how long your "dirty nightclub" lasted. Gone and forgotten. Go up the streets from there away from the river and there are probably more than a dozen girlie bars within a 5 minute walk. There was maybe 2 in the old market streets precovid. And no, I've nothing against girlie bars but I much preferred that area the way it was 3-4 years back.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic