Is Kampot Town Turning into a Red Light District ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Re: Is Kampot Town Turning into a Red Light District ?

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Plan B wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:51 am I can't see punters heading to Kampot for 'girly bar action'.

What girly bars are open are a mixed bag. Some very friendly and attentive. Others the girls spend an hour looking into the bar mirror and adjusting makeup. Then walk past customers in the bar enjoying beer and sit outside looking at their phones!!!!!!

Also not many 'lookers' . Seems like many need to drop a few pounds.
And get some more teeth
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:47 am
Plan B wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:51 am I can't see punters heading to Kampot for 'girly bar action'.

What girly bars are open are a mixed bag. Some very friendly and attentive. Others the girls spend an hour looking into the bar mirror and adjusting makeup. Then walk past customers in the bar enjoying beer and sit outside looking at their phones!!!!!!

Also not many 'lookers' . Seems like many need to drop a few pounds.
And get some more teeth
Chunky, toothless bar girls? Reminds me of Alaska. (*sighs*)
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

ExPenhMan wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:06 am A general question: What's the weather like in Kampot? AccuWeather and Weather.com show historical temps (2021) topping out at 31, with rare jumps to 33-35. Lots of cloudy days.

After a dozen years in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam, the heat and humidity are getting to me, especially being stuck here during three straight stupid hot seasons. It would be nice to have a break from 35-plus.

Thanks.
It's been stupid hot for a while, in the 35 range but 40+ real feel, right now we are enjoying some rain.
Streets are flooded, potholes have become death traps and makeup is running.

Generally I don't find it too humid, and you can't compare it to the congested feeling of Bangkok or similar.
Weather wise I quite enjoy Kampot, though I wish we didn't have the rainy season (sorry flowers).
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Check in here to get the lastest on the red light district in Kampot and get a weather report, thanks posters. :beer1:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

Can somebody please take a video of this area near the market so that we can see what they're on about?

And as for kampot itself wasn't there talk about the Chinese building a load of high rises and the worry about it changing the whole vibe of the City?
More than just any old backpacker.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

snookieboi wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:11 pm Can somebody please take a video of this area near the market so that we can see what they're on about?
Pics, addresses-anything that would help with our research.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I've never been to Kampot but I found this daytime 4K video from March 2021 very helpful for orientation and tour through bar/restaurant area. The producer walks northbound on the east river side road and crosses the road on the way to enter Old Kampot Town, as noted onscreen. You could skip the first 5:30 minutes showing the National Bank of Cambodia and Cambodian Red Cross buildings, although they are still attractive colonial structures.

Here's another good one showing, well, read the video title. Shot in July 2021. I like the vids produced by this Aussie couple, channel named For Riel.

Mr Know It All
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mr Know It All »

move along......
if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

ExPenhMan wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:08 pm I've never been to Kampot but I found this daytime 4K video from March 2021 very helpful for orientation and tour through bar/restaurant area. The producer walks northbound on the east river side road and crosses the road on the way to enter Old Kampot Town, as noted onscreen. You could skip the first 5:30 minutes showing the National Bank of Cambodia and Cambodian Red Cross buildings, although they are still attractive colonial structures.

Here's another good one showing, well, read the video title. Shot in July 2021. I like the vids produced by this Aussie couple, channel named For Riel.

At the beginning of the second video, the bars shown across from the black horse monument are sitting on frontage of a large tract of land owned by the former owners of the Walkabout.
Plan B
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Plan B »

Work on the huge development near the Old Bridge seems to have been halted after around 6 levels. Believe some Chinese involvement in the project but stand corrected.

This takes up a whole block.

Not a good look if the project isn't completed. Anyone know what's going on???
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic