Supposed new visa extension policy

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Supposed new visa extension policy

Post by The Judge »

Just picked up my annual visa extension from the immigration office yesterday, and noted that they cut 1 day off the year. First time that's ever happened in 10 years. When I asked them to correct the date, I was told it is already correct, due to the (supposed) new rule starting in April 2022 that 1 day is cut from all visas, regardless of the length of visa. I was told that if your previous renewals expired on the 10th, then this year it will expire on the 9th, and next year on the 8th, and the following year on the 7th, and so on.

When I asked to see the new rule, I got the expected "you need to go to the office at the airport (or anywhere else but here so I don't have to keep lying and I can get you out of my office)". I said I thought it was weird that I hadn't read about the new rule anywhere or heard of any such new rule, and that it was odd they couldn't furnish me a copy of the rule there at the immigration office, since I filed my extension paperwork there.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Supposed new visa extension policy

Post by phuketrichard »

who cares?
1 day out of 365
will that affect ur life?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:54 am who cares?
1 day out of 365
I do, because the extension date has been ingrained in my memory over the last 13 years and it will change on a yearly basis now, which is just a pain and gives room for unnecessary problems.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Sounds like a complete load of bollocks, Immigration probably just made a mistake with the expiry date and they came up with some bullshit excuse to try and appease you. It's only 1 day anyway, not worth getting your panties in a twist about.

Oh, and even if this is their new procedure, it's unlikely they've written a new formal policy just for that :ROFL:

You say you collected from the Immigration Office, but then when you questioned the policy they told you to go to the Office out by the airport, that doesn't make sense as the Immigration Visa Office is out near the airport....did you actually apply and collect from a Visa Agent or directly at the DoI Visa Office?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:16 am Sounds like a complete load of bollocks, Immigration probably just made a mistake with the expiry date and they came up with some bullshit excuse to try and appease you. It's only 1 day anyway, not worth getting your panties in a twist about.

You say you collected from the Immigration Office, but then when you questioned the policy they told you to go to the Office out by the airport, that doesn't make sense as the Immigration Visa Office is out near the airport....did you actually apply and collect from a Visa Agent or directly at the DoI Visa Office?
I was cut one day short too. Initially assumed it was a mistake, but in doubt now. From my experience the DoI are usually pretty competent (not to be confused with customer friendly).
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

You're right, they are generally pretty competent, but they do sometimes make mistakes, I've had an extra day or 2 added to my annual EOS on occasion. Guess we'll know whether it's the actual new procedure once we get more reports of the same. It doesn't make any sense why they would cut 1 day from an annual EOS, but I'm definitely not gonna lose any sleep over it that's for sure.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Should we mention Leap Years or metrics to help confuse the problem.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Have to wait until 2024 for the next leap year.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:09 am
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:54 am who cares?
1 day out of 365
I do, because the extension date has been ingrained in my memory over the last 13 years and it will change on a yearly basis now, which is just a pain and gives room for unnecessary problems.
Exactly!
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:16 am Sounds like a complete load of bollocks, Immigration probably just made a mistake with the expiry date and they came up with some bullshit excuse to try and appease you. It's only 1 day anyway, not worth getting your panties in a twist about.

Oh, and even if this is their new procedure, it's unlikely they've written a new formal policy just for that :ROFL:

Yes you're right, that's exactly what I thought, too. I just wanted to poll people on this forum to see if it smells as bad when reading it as it did when hearing it in person.

They tried pulling something similar. It's just the hassle of going from place to place (even if it is just across the street from the immigration office). Plus, the police working at the airport all know nothing, and if you don't have a flight you get treated as some kind of terrorist, and told to go to yet another place, probably on National Rd 1.

I do my own visa extensions. I had submitted my extension paperwork 3 weeks ago and was returning on the date they told me it would be ready.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic