Dutch Farmers Protest Getting Wild

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Dutch Farmers Protest Getting Wild

Post by Big Daikon »

Anyone else following this? Popped up on my radar recently.

https://www.politico.eu/article/police- ... ssion-cut/
Dutch police fired shots at tractor-riding farmers who were protesting against plans to cut nitrogen emissions on Tuesday evening in northern Netherlands. Police said they were responding to a "threatening situation" when the farmers, who were attempting to push past a blockade to get onto a highway in the province of Friesland, started to drive their tractors into officers and their vehicles.
Great video footage coming out.

SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Dutch Farmers Protest Getting Wild

Post by SlowJoe »

Is this one of those "fringe" group of protestors like the Ottawa convoy? /sarcasm

Not surprised though, I swear the west has been hell bent on destroying itself...
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Not sure of the exact numbers, but it looks widespread. Heard farmers from other countries were protesting in sympathy.

I will be watching this one.
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Post by paul2d »

This has been reported on Sky News Australia and AlJazera and a few other places. It is largely ignored by the mainstream media. Appears to be the Dutch war and small farmers over use of Nitrogen fertilizers under the guidance of the World Economic Forum.

Sky News Australia:
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

I haven't been following it but....

"Farmers have blocked supermarkets, distributions centers and roads in response to government plans to cut nitrogen emissions.
Dutch police fired shots at tractor-riding farmers who were protesting against plans to cut nitrogen emissions on Tuesday evening in northern Netherlands.

Police said they were responding to a "threatening situation" when the farmers, who were attempting to push past a blockade to get onto a highway in the province of Friesland, started to drive their tractors into officers and their vehicles.

According to the Friesland police, their shots hit a tractor, but no one was injured. Three suspects were arrested. The Rijksrecherche, the Dutch government's internal investigator, said it would look into the events given police had discharged their weapons."

If the police account is true - that the farmers were blocking roads, supermarkets and distribution centers, effectively shutting down the economy, and that they tried driving into police cars - what did they expect was going to happen? Where in the world would you get away with trying to drive tractors into the police?

I have a lot of sympathy for the farmer's situation, there's a similar situation here in NZ. Excess nitrogen is wreaking hell on the environment, there are ways to mitigate the damage but it costs more to do it which makes it tough for the farmers. It's a shit situation for them but then ignoring the problem isn't much of an option either. If I was a farmer there faced with having my farm shut down I'd be pissed off. If I was being negatively affected by the damage the nitrogen is causing I'd be pissed off at the farmers feeling that they should be able to continue to cause the problem when there are solutions available.

But when you see tweets saying things like "rising up to their globalist tyrannical government" and that YouTube link from Sky news - which seemed like 3 minutes of bullshit and hyperbole to me - I personally think media like that is a big part of the problem.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Italian farmers joining in.
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Post by paul2d »

More on the Dutch farmer protest: https://www.rebelnews.com/farmer_rebell ... griculture

Just wait until the French farmers get on board.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Shame. The people who are protesting are not small farmers, but belong to big industrial farmers unions. The intensive farmers who are polluting the water tables are protesting against environmental rules, because they are being told that from now on "user pays".
Farmers need to face up to the facts. Waste and run-off from intensive farming in Europe pollutes the rivers, and is also seeping into the water tables underground, polluting drinking water for the general population. Surely those who have caused the problem should accept responsibility and pay for it ?
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _Ecosystem
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

SlowJoe wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:27 pm Is this one of those "fringe" group of protestors like the Ottawa convoy? /sarcasm

Not surprised though, I swear the west has been hell bent on destroying itself...
Indeed, the Netherlands are destroying themselves. Being one of the smallest countries in the world but also being the second food exporter in the world. What could possibly go wrong there.....
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:11 am Shame. The people who are protesting are not small farmers, but belong to big industrial farmers unions. The intensive farmers who are polluting the water tables are protesting against environmental rules, because they are being told that from now on "user pays".
Farmers need to face up to the facts. Waste and run-off from intensive farming in Europe pollutes the rivers, and is also seeping into the water tables underground, polluting drinking water for the general population. Surely those who have caused the problem should accept responsibility and pay for it ?
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _Ecosystem
Exactly this. Think multi storey pig farms, multi million animal chicken farms. Not to feed the local population but all for exports, but the pollution happens locally.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic