Will guns ever be outlawed in America

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.

Will guns be outlawed in America

Poll ended at Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:53 pm

Yes
3%
No
43%
I dont know or care
10%
American
19%
Non American
24%

Total votes: 58
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Will guns ever be outlawed in America

Post by phuketrichard »

Chose 2
My vote
No
American

Guess i should place this in:
guns outlawed for the general public, not military use
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Will guns ever be outlawed in America

Post by nemo »

you should have a choice for licensed firearm ownership
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

nemo wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:08 pm you should have a choice for licensed firearm ownership
It’s always going to be difficult working out a decent survey, while the emotive topic is running.

Will the USofA ever achieve effective gun control? Not based on current thinking and politics.

ps. America is synonymous with US, but let’s not forget the other contributors to the two continents. Just being a little pedantic.
I’m sure Mexico contributes to mass murder on an unacceptable scale, too.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Not sure if the choice of wording for the poll was deliberate but unless people take the time to unravel the complexities of constitutional law they will probably read the question as

"should guns be outlawed"

As I have previously noted in a thread on firearm violence in the states, making a change to the wording of the constitution, let alone repealing the 2nd amendment, is an extremely arduous task that is unlikely to succeed.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

I would be happy for anyone to own a gun, as long as the trigger had a fingerprint mechanism in it so it would operate/fire only the registered owner of that gun pulled the trigger.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

IraHayes wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:56 pm Not sure if the choice of wording for the poll was deliberate but unless people take the time to unravel the complexities of constitutional law they will probably read the question as

"should guns be outlawed"

As I have previously noted in a thread on firearm violence in the states, making a change to the wording of the constitution, let alone repealing the 2nd amendment, is an extremely arduous task that is unlikely to succeed.
wording was deliberate

My opinion
Most Americans would agree with stricter gun control ( does anyone, even a hunter, need an AK 47 type rifle?) and more enforceable "red flag" laws, ( no idea how to achieve this) but also when push comes to shove, they don't want their right to posses a gun outlawed.
Last edited by phuketrichard on Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Is the constitution something like the Quran in the US, a religious text that cannot ever be changed? How do they do amendments?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:41 pm Is the constitution something like the Quran in the US, a religious text that cannot ever be changed? How do they do amendments?
nope
nothing to do with religion
The Eighteenth Amendment was repealed by the Twenty-first Amendment on December 5, 1933.
It is the only amendment to be repealed.

Has to the how< am sure duck duck go can give ya a answer better than anyone here :beer3:
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:41 pm Is the constitution something like the Quran in the US, a religious text that cannot ever be changed? How do they do amendments?
The first 10 amendments are known as the Bill of Rights and can not be altered. They are considered separate from the other amendments, which can be altered with a 2/3 vote.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Thanks, that's a good enough explanation. It's strange how it's treated like a religious text.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic