Will guns ever be outlawed in America

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.

Will guns be outlawed in America

Poll ended at Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:53 pm

Yes
3%
No
43%
I dont know or care
10%
American
19%
Non American
24%

Total votes: 58
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Will guns ever be outlawed in America

Post by Kenr »

Back in 2021, John Hurley took out a shooter who had killed a cop. What was his reward? He was shot and killed by another cop who thought he was the shooter. Is that a “good guy wins” story?
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Kenr wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:43 am
Random Dude wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:30 am
Kenr wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:59 am Well this definitely makes up for the 19 kids that were killed in the Uvalde school shooting. Everything is ok now. 🙄

A guy kills three (3) people and it’s a “good guys win” story. What kind of a society are we living in?
No no mate, you're not seeing the big picture here.

If tomorrow's shooters - let's throw a number out there and say 10 of them - aren't allowed to buy their guns that means good guys can't buy theirs either and there's a chance one (1) of those shooters will be shot by a good guy member of the public before he kills more than about 5 or 10 school kids. I think you'll find that works out very well for big business and think of all the future sales, high fives and yee haws the headline will bring. :wink:
Yep, the way some people rationalize situations like this really blows my mind. It defies logic when someone claims that it’s great that “ONLY THREE” people were killed in a shooting. Wonder how those three individuals family and friends feel about that.
I've never understood the logic behind it, to me it suggests too much idealism and Hollywood movies but whatever, it's not my problem so I'll just continue to watch it happen, feel sorry for the victims and be glad I'm not affected by it.

I do wonder though if people in places like Ulvade change their thinking after a shooting.

Does a hard out 2A guy feel the same way about gun rights in society when their kids wake up screaming every night because they saw their friends get murdered, or his wife freaks out every time a car backfires,people he knows have PTSD from the shooting, or he looks at pictures of his dead child?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Reuters article wrote: "We will say it again: The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," the National Rifle Association said in a tweet Monday morning.

It is rare for a bystander to stop an "active shooter" attack in the United States, according to an FBI report in May showing that only two out of 61 such attacks last year ended when "citizens engaged the shooter." A similar New York Times analysis found that only 22 gunmen in the 433 mass shootings since 2000 were shot by a bystander.
The logic is impeccable.
Add in the reluctance (however debatable or excused at the time) for a local police* presence in one recent event to get stuck in, then the thing that is needed (by their rationale) is to consciously arm everyone in the hope of having the very few capable and disciplined ones armed by sheer chance, on a bad day, to combat the vastly higher number of bad people also armed by the same rationale.

They fail to acknowledge the other way to stop a bad guy with a gun; Don’t give them a gun.

*I’m not sure- are the police still counted as the good guys?
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

bossho wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:06 am Yeah, who doesn't like it when the good guys win?
Judging by the past few responses, not everyone.

(I have seen internet chatter criticizing the man who stopped the criminal.)
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:26 am
bossho wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:06 am Yeah, who doesn't like it when the good guys win?

I wouldn't say that, I think people are just wondering how you'd see this as a winning situation. Let's face it, it's not exactly a feel-good story.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Random Dude wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:14 am

I wouldn't say that, I think people are just wondering how you'd see this as a winning situation. Let's face it, it's not exactly a feel-good story.
Kind of like losing money at a slower rate, it is technically good news.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:21 am
Random Dude wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:14 am

Kind of like losing money at a slower rate, it is technically good news.
Yeah, look on the bright side of life I suppose. The glass is half full and all that.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Being objective, though-

The shooter in this case was 20, and the ‘good guy’, 22, according to reports. Both at a shopping mall, both armed. One by deliberate choice to go and cause harm. The other one was there for whatever his purposes were. And by sheer chance, at that right moment, at almost the right time, was competent and proficient.

But potentially, a have a go hero. Make no mistake, we are probably well and truly in an era where the average public may be the difference between intent and full atrocity. Anywhere, as seen in London, Paris, Boston, or anywhere else over the last few decades. Even in the skies. The world stage of terrorism.
But in this instance, it is not terrorism, but a deliberate and politically enabled situation whereby the very same members of the public are defending against each other.

Sheer chance.
It could well have been someone not nearly as proficient nor disciplined.

The good guys winning by sheer chance that one was armed and ready. If the numbers quoted in the article are to be believed, this good guy was in the 3-5% category against the larger number of intentional hostile acts.

He possibly does meet the criteria of the well regulated and disciplined militia that is so often conveniently ignored. By all accounts, his conduct in the aftermath suggests either some very clear thinking, or something otherwise not disclosed.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

America is retarded.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Ah, so the end justifies the means, of course only when it promotes arming everyone. The law only applies to certain individuals? The only ones retarded are the ones who are promoting all of this as a good thing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic