Real motive behind new food safety regs

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Real motive behind new food safety regs

Post by hdgh29 »

Well finally the government here has introduced some good food safety regulations mainly aimed at street vendors. One aspect of the regs is that all vendors will need to have a license and be registered, just like in most other countries. And the obvious benefit from that is that they will be liable to be taxed on their earnings, as this vendor said in the khmer times. Makes you wonder if maybe that's the point of the whole exercise.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Real motive behind new food safety regs

Post by Anchor Moy »

hdgh29 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:58 pm Well finally the government here has introduced some good food safety regulations mainly aimed at street vendors. One aspect of the regs is that all vendors will need to have a license and be registered, just like in most other countries. And the obvious benefit from that is that they will be liable to be taxed on their earnings, as this vendor said in the khmer times. Makes you wonder if maybe that's the point of the whole exercise.
I wouldn't worry too much for the vendors, or for the chances of food safety regulations being enforced immediately. These government "pronouncements" are generally "announcements", which are then applied in some places and not others. Lets wait and see what really happens.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Affordable healthy food for all would come first in my mind as a priority before taxing the smallests survival food biz, but who am i to say...
It's probably just a collateral effect from the fuel cost rise for them Lamborghinis & Rolls since the war in Ukraine ^^ ....Bloody Russia !

This world is getting more & more expensive, someone's gotta pay
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

I'm usually not one to side with regulation makers, but after seeing all the people who get the shits here from bad food, sometimes I think the bar of entry to food businesses here is too low.
MrBen87
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MrBen87 »

The biggest problem is is temperature control. Bacteria thrives in this heat , so unless all the food vendors are going to be using fridges or heat lamps then then is ridiculous. Also what about markets ? Meat and fish sit in 30° heat uncovered, so even if the vendors are regulated it doesn't matter because the product is dodgy to begin with.

I would also like to see what food safety /hygiene regs are required for restaraunts?

Honestly I think they are targeting vendors in order to "clean up the streets" similar to what happened/happening in Sihanoukville. In my opinion, it's not about health and safety.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

MrBen87 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:48 am The biggest problem is is temperature control. Bacteria thrives in this heat , so unless all the food vendors are going to be using fridges or heat lamps then then is ridiculous. Also what about markets ? Meat and fish sit in 30° heat uncovered, so even if the vendors are regulated it doesn't matter because the product is dodgy to begin with.

I would also like to see what food safety /hygiene regs are required for restaraunts?

Honestly I think they are targeting vendors in order to "clean up the streets" similar to what happened/happening in Sihanoukville. In my opinion, it's not about health and safety.
It has taken me years to educate those in my family not to leave food out on the table. Bacteria does not like hot or cold, only room temperature. Told them if they don't use the fridge/freezer I would sell it and then there would be nowhere for them to store the ice-cream. The message has finally got through to them.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

My other half actually gets annoyed when I put leftover food in the fridge rather than just leaving it out. To some extent I suppose local immune systems are adjusted to the local risks.
Regarding markets, I think the idea is that the slaughter to eating timespan is much shorter than the Western style of shopping where meat may have been packed 2 days before you buy it.
I think the main danger is food that has not been cooked thoroughly enough to kill the bacteria present (yes, I do know that some bacteria or spores produce heat-resistant toxins).
vivathedivas
BANNED
Australia

Post by vivathedivas »

There's a general election next year, right?

Not sure more regulations and added taxation will make the locals happy.

But one has to pay the burgeoning civil service somehow.

Fuel prices are creating big problems:

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

We all should be eating in food courts in shopping malls that the problem
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

MrBen87 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:48 am The biggest problem is is temperature control. Bacteria thrives in this heat , so unless all the food vendors are going to be using fridges or heat lamps then then is ridiculous. Also what about markets ? Meat and fish sit in 30° heat uncovered, so even if the vendors are regulated it doesn't matter because the product is dodgy to begin with.

I’ve been buying (and eating) meat and fish from the markets for years and never experienced any problems (and I’m a lazy fucker who goes later in the day and the produce has been standing out longer)
I do however have a strong constitution (for a Barang) probably something to do with chewing coal as a kid.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic