About The Mass Shootings in US

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
mossie
Expatriate
Finland

About The Mass Shootings in US

Post by mossie »

I'd Like to hear your opinion why these shooting incidents seem to happen more an more often in US?
I'm Not US citizen myself, so I'd like to hear opinions of you why do you think this seems to be happening so often in your country?

Norden European countries are also experiencing these sad cases. I haven't been in my home country for a while, so I don't know what the current "vibe" is in there.
I learned later, that the day I departed there was this horrible incident happened https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jokela_school_shooting

Why especially young people feel the need to go that far. Well, obviously they feel bad, but I think that's too simple explanation alone.

I'd be very interest of thoughts of the people who come from the same geos than I am.

And there are been worse incidents in those part of a world after that, so by no means this is only the US phenomenon.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Re: About The Mass Shootings in US

Post by JBTrain »

Given that every country has crazy, stupid, and sociopathic people, 20 million AR-15s in circulation could be a factor. That's enough to arm every US male aged 15-25.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

1. Lots of guns available in the US, legal and otherwise.
2. Socio-economic instability.
3. Mental health issues untreated or "overtreated" (lots of weird medication).
4. Creepy copycat culture/a desire for fame by any means.
5. A hopeless nihilistic vibe in the US.
6. Honestly, there has been such a surge in crazy violent crime recently, I feel like there is some sort of "Order 66" being carried out.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

JBTrain wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:11 pm 20 million AR-15s in circulation could be a factor.

Surely if access were a primary cause, the US military would be decimating itself from the inside, along with any other military, or regularly armed police unit? (And there have been incidents)

The gun is ultimately just a tool. In the wrong hands; a weapon in the hands of anyone predisposed to not handling daily life in a rational manner.
By all means, let’s see guns being better controlled. That also means not having crazy, deluded, irrational, unstable people having casual access.

Dumb, batshitweirdo type+casual gun access=bad
Careless, arrogant type+casual gun access= bad
Children+casual gun access…

It seems like ground hog day, unless they’ve shot Punxsutawney Phil, as well.

Doesn’t that make the question, why is there such a number of unstable people, when given an opportunity to access weapons, willing to go out and commit some mindless atrocity?
I say mindless- it seems mindless to many in the aftermath. At some point it made sense to the perpetrator at the time.

Rather like the poor sod who has a suicide step in front of his train. Was there no better option available?
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Guns too easy to buy.
They need an Australian style regime
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:31 pm Surely if access were a primary cause, the US military would be decimating itself from the inside, along with any other military, or regularly armed police unit? (And there have been incidents)
Suicide rates are rather high among servicemen in the US. Overwhelmingly committed with personal weapons rather than army issued.

Sad, but not a mass tragedy.
https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... finds.html
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

Freightdog wrote:
JBTrain wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:11 pm 20 million AR-15s in circulation could be a factor.

Surely if access were a primary cause, the US military would be decimating itself from the inside, along with any other military, or regularly armed police unit? (And there have been incidents)

The gun is ultimately just a tool. In the wrong hands; a weapon in the hands of anyone predisposed to not handling daily life in a rational manner.
By all means, let’s see guns being better controlled. That also means not having crazy, deluded, irrational, unstable people having casual access.

Dumb, batshitweirdo type+casual gun access=bad
Careless, arrogant type+casual gun access= bad
Children+casual gun access…

It seems like ground hog day, unless they’ve shot Punxsutawney Phil, as well.

Doesn’t that make the question, why is there such a number of unstable people, when given an opportunity to access weapons, willing to go out and commit some mindless atrocity?
I say mindless- it seems mindless to many in the aftermath. At some point it made sense to the perpetrator at the time.

Rather like the poor sod who has a suicide step in front of his train. Was there no better option available?
AR15 is indeed just a tool , one designed to kill large numbers of people without much fuss. Obviously normal healthy people tend not to be mass shooters, and the loons wouldn't be either without the easy access to semi automatic weapons living in the USA provides. You don't think... pick a country at random, Norway, South Korea, Japan, Cambodia whatever has creepy teenagers? Please.

Using Tapatalk
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

mossie wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:00 pm
Norden European countries are also experiencing these sad cases. I haven't been in my home country for a while, so I don't know what the current "vibe" is in there.
I learned later, that the day I departed there was this horrible incident happened https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jokela_school_shooting

And there are been worse incidents in those part of a world after that, so by no means this is only the US phenomenon.
One case 15 years ago in Finland and another 33 years ago, meanwhile 220 people were shot dead over the July 4th weekend in the US, so hardly comparable.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:30 pm 1. Lots of guns available in the US, legal and otherwise.
2. Socio-economic instability.
3. Mental health issues untreated or "overtreated" (lots of weird medication).
4. Creepy copycat culture/a desire for fame by any means.
5. A hopeless nihilistic vibe in the US.
6. Honestly, there has been such a surge in crazy violent crime recently, I feel like there is some sort of "Order 66" being carried out.
Yeah... Valid points I think, but I think there's more to it.

I'd add the gun culture to the list. Years of Hollywood movies glamorizing guns,portraying them as the way to deal with your problem. Also, the idea that guns = freedom always seemed like a cultish mindset to me. And then there's the NRA who sponsors the politicians that enable the easy access.

So you get your unbalanced weirdos (numbers 2,3,4,5), give them easy access to an arsenal and the inevitable happens. Other countries have 2,3,4,5 but most of those places make it difficult for those people to get their hands on guns.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

"Family member said Crimo threatened to "kill everyone" and police removed 16 knives, a dagger and a sword but found no probable cause to arrest. "

This vermin passed firearms background checks to legally purchase the murder weapons, THAT IS THE PROBLEM.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic