Dumb shit expats have said

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Dumb shit expats have said

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Spigzy wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:58 pm I was staying in a hotel down near Sepang once upon a time, the call to prayer was delivered simply by the muezzin up his little minaret & he had a decent voice that wasn't intrusive at all. Top marks. Once it gets distorted through a PA system & put to volume 11 like Khmer weddings, grr.. Nothing traditional about that, it is like an audio version of Instagram "model" looking for attention at any cost.
I really enjoy the atmosphere created in some places by the calls to prayer when the singer and volumes are reasonable, and I find you get used to the 4.30 morning calls eventually to sleep straight through. Don't get me started on when they let the kids run amok each day on microphones with that squealing nonsense.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:10 pm
Spigzy wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:58 pm I was staying in a hotel down near Sepang once upon a time, the call to prayer was delivered simply by the muezzin up his little minaret & he had a decent voice that wasn't intrusive at all. Top marks. Once it gets distorted through a PA system & put to volume 11 like Khmer weddings, grr.. Nothing traditional about that, it is like an audio version of Instagram "model" looking for attention at any cost.
I really enjoy the atmosphere created in some places by the calls to prayer when the singer and volumes are reasonable, and I find you get used to the 4.30 morning calls eventually to sleep straight through. Don't get me started on when they let the kids run amok each day on microphones with that squealing nonsense.
When it’s natural, it feels genuine. When it’s cranked up to defeat the neighbouring imam, it loses all legitimacy. What I used to call the 5am Karoake. Fleeting thought- what a service I could provide with just a pair of wire cutters.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i lived in a moslem village in Phuket for over 22 years, the first call told me i had 90 more minutes of sleep :-)
I'll take the call to prayer over drunks singing karaoke here in Kep anyday
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:45 pm
i lived in a moslem village in Phuket for over 22 years, the first call told me i had 90 more minutes of sleep :-)
I'll take the call to prayer over drunks singing karaoke here in Kep anyday
Once I brought one of my Thai dinner companions to Jakarta each time she heard the loud speakers over the city she’ll giggle and say the city dogs are hungry again.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Like listening to evangelists, and all the others who seem to conclude that devotion is directly proportionate to volume.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:30 pm Here's an example of dumb shit expats do.
Another one:

I remember a drunk swiss guy spray-painting big roadside pictures of the late King of Thailand in Bangkok. He was pardoned after a short term in jail and left the country alive.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/29/worl ... 71428.html
work is for people who cant find truffles
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:24 pm
When it’s natural, it feels genuine. When it’s cranked up to defeat the neighbouring imam, it loses all legitimacy. What I used to call the 5am Karoake. Fleeting thought- what a service I could provide with just a pair of wire cutters.
Just like in Phnom Penh in the past. The nam pang lady would do her morning rounds calling out "nam pang, nam pang". Now they use a recording played through a loud speaker. They think it's progress, but to me it's lost its old world charm.
mossie
Expatriate
Finland

Post by mossie »

It's going to be OK.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

I always liked how in Istanbul the bars would turn down the music while the call to payer was on but everyone carried on serving/drinking beer
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

"i'll take the call to prayer over drunks singing karaoke here in Kep anyday "

"...always liked how in Istanbul the bars would turn down the music while the call to payer "

And anything else related to supporting mentally weak adults talking to invisible ghost and fairy tales.

Biggest con in the world makes Madoff look like a milk bottle money thief, comparing the amount stolen and of destruction to society.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic