Dumb shit expats have said

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Dumb shit expats have said

Post by Ghostwriter »

As a Frog, i've seen a few Frog associations about business, mutual help, etc etc when in need once.
Looks good but pretty useless unless significantly financially contributing member, take a membership card bla bla blah, too slow old folks anyway.

Cendy sounds and look a bit weird in her all-in-one website, smells like an expensive solution for lazy fucks

On the other hand, the customer seems legit, although as thick as loaded.
GeeKay
Expatriate
Australia

Post by GeeKay »

nemo wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:13 pm how much do locals pay for a pineapple?
A worldwide phenomenon as soon as people travel they think you'll go somewhere buy things for 5% of it's worth with their wonderful currency.

I just tell them to go to McDonalds and buy a Big Mac and you'll soon work it out.
"Money lost, Nothing lost......Confidence lost, Everything lost"
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

a fool and his money are soon parted
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Grandmother to the most beautiful girl in the world.
( Maybe just thier world)
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

@Big Daikon I don't see what Burgernomics has anything to do with this topic..deleted discussion..please stay on topic. Thanks
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

rozzieoz wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:09 pm I don't pay for sex
Dumb, said like this, but it also can mean that one isn't willing to subsidize prostitution, which is a good thing right ?
mossie
Expatriate
Finland

Post by mossie »

Pretty much everything. We all are all human right.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

This thread makes ironic reading
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Here's an example of dumb shit expats do.

Greg lived next to a mosque in Indonesia and had issues with the volume of the call to prayer each morning so he met with the imam, the head mosque dude, and asked if anything could be done. The head mosque dude said “Yeah, no worries, Greg, we’ll turn it down for you as you live right next door, donate money to the mosque, and let us use your land for parking and stuff.”

Greg said, “Cool, bro, that would be sweet.”

The call to prayer volume crept up again over the following days so Greg had another meeting with the imam to which the mosque dude again promised to keep the levels low - and on this routine went for months, the volume staying low for a few days then back to normal levels.

Eventually Greg the expat living in the world’s largest muslim country decided he’d show that damn mosque next door who was the big dog in town and crept into the building late one night with a pair of pliers and cut the speaker wires to the P.A. system.

Well, the locals took a bit of a dim view of not having call to prayer that following morning and about thirty men went to Greg’s house next door and burnt it to the ground with Greg fleeing the mob.

Greg was presumably still running when he was arrested and charged with blasphemy, spending the following three months waiting for trial held in protective custody at a hotel because everyone wanted to separate his bonce from the rest of his body - the town was a bit miffed.

If memory serves…,I think Greg got another three months jail for his trouble on top of the three months he’d already been kept. I believe he may also have been told to fuck off and find another village to live in.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I was staying in a hotel down near Sepang once upon a time, the call to prayer was delivered simply by the muezzin up his little minaret & he had a decent voice that wasn't intrusive at all. Top marks. Once it gets distorted through a PA system & put to volume 11 like Khmer weddings, grr.. Nothing traditional about that, it is like an audio version of Instagram "model" looking for attention at any cost.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic