Phnom Pehn Current Vibe

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
GeeKay
Expatriate
Australia

Phnom Pehn Current Vibe

Post by GeeKay »

Ok I'm hitting the ground for my first visit in 3 weeks time.

Any updates on the movement in Phnom Pehn? As far as bars/pubs/clubs/portable ice boxes anything? If there is booze there I'll drink it.

Are there plenty of people around and plenty to do every night? Such as drinking and mingling. I'm in town for 21 days and I do like to give it a bit of nudge so I'm interested to know if it's busy enough. I'm not coming to look at temples or stuff I'm there to get on the booze because I don't actually drink at home.

Thanks for any info

Jono
"Money lost, Nothing lost......Confidence lost, Everything lost"
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Phnom Pehn Current Vibe

Post by phuketrichard »

$ .50 drafts and $1-1.50 shots
U'll be happier than a fly on shit
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
GeeKay
Expatriate
Australia

Post by GeeKay »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:11 am $ .50 drafts and $1-1.50 shots
I could stay home if I want to drink cheap grog on my own in the corner.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

You haven't been around for a while, have you?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

GeeKay wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:42 am Ok I'm hitting the ground for my first visit in 3 weeks time.

Any updates on the movement in Phnom Pehn? As far as bars/pubs/clubs/portable ice boxes anything? If there is booze there I'll drink it.

Are there plenty of people around and plenty to do every night? Such as drinking and mingling. I'm in town for 21 days and I do like to give it a bit of nudge so I'm interested to know if it's busy enough. I'm not coming to look at temples or stuff I'm there to get on the booze because I don't actually drink at home.

Thanks for any info

Jono
It's still pretty quiet around PP. Enough booze though, but the 50 cents days are largely over. Still relatively cheap though. Front bar on 118 usually has a decent selection of long timers you can easily mingle with, and Harry's has quite a bunch of social customers although I stopped going there after noticing cockroaches on the bar (thrice) and one on my plate (once).
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Kammekor wrote:
Haha, yeah. I was just about to comment the same. Inflation is a thing, and very few spots have .50 draft anymore. $1.5+ seems to be the norm, though one can still find 50 cent draft for happy hour in a few places, but the you'll be with all the undesirables. ;-) As the night progresses, probably ces tend to increase.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
GeeKay
Expatriate
Australia

Post by GeeKay »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:02 am
Kammekor wrote:
Haha, yeah. I was just about to comment the same. Inflation is a thing, and very few spots have .50 draft anymore. $1.5+ seems to be the norm, though one can still find 50 cent draft for happy hour in a few places, but the you'll be with all the undesirables. ;-) As the night progresses, probably ces tend to increase.
I'm on holidays so I can handle the $1 increase because I can only drink 30 beers a day.

Whoops I think you may have just put me on the "undesirables" crew. That's ok I'm back on 50c drafts with the team.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Kammekor wrote:
I guess Soriya Mall still has a 50c happy hour draft. In the Riverside area there used to be quite a few 50c happy hour places, including Front Bar, but they either closed or raised prices. Getting a beer for less than 1$, even during happy hour, will be difficult in that area.
I know the difference with the quoted 50c beer is only 50c but since it's 100% up from the quote it's quite noticable.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

GeeKay wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:36 am
Kammekor wrote:
I'm on holidays so I can handle the $1 increase because I can only drink 30 beers a day.

Whoops I think you may have just put me on the "undesirables" crew. That's ok I'm back on 50c drafts with the team.
Just check the people on the 50c beers these days before making commitments....
GeeKay
Expatriate
Australia

Post by GeeKay »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:44 am
GeeKay wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:36 am
Kammekor wrote:

Just check the people on the 50c beers these days before making commitments....
Yeah no worries.

I actually don't mind a draft beer but very mindful when in Asia especially at a bar with no hot water dish washing machine.

Not a good look arriving back home to the missus in Sydney with a big cold sore ie. herpes virus on the lip.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic