Phnom Pehn Current Vibe

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Phnom Pehn Current Vibe

Post by Freightdog »

Guitar d’amour have San Miguel, I think they may have lite. Down near BKK between Mao the dung* and the market.
It occurs to me that I don’t get out to other bits of the capital, much.

*Google translate (well, some of it), who am I to argue?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

GeeKay wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:59 pm As a matter of interest do any bars have San Miguel light?

It is probably my favourite beer but I am versatile if need be.
Not very common.
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

GeeKay wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:59 pm As a matter of interest do any bars have San Miguel light?

It is probably my favourite beer but I am versatile if need be.
Yes, many bars used to have San Miguel light both in Phnom Penh and in Sihanoukville. And if you found a bar You liked and they did not have it, it was fixed within a few minutes. Then the main issue of the day is consuming a anchor can while You wait. Aaaa... happy times.

I found drinking San Miguel light glass bottles with some lemon between 1500 and 1800 and looking on the sunset with pleasant company to be a most enjoyable activity several times a week in the KOW. And shifting over to cans later in the evening ( Yes, living the dream!). I have stayed away from the draft mainly because many places looks to have limited cleaning facilities for glases/ mugs.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Living on the opposite side of the river, this sums up riverside to me, not in a bad way, maybe I should get out more often.

Always "hope" but never "expect".
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

I was thinking others didn't understand what you were looking for.

I didn't think you gave a shit about cheap beers; you said you were giving it a nudge, which I take to mean you are on holiday with no budget.

Mingling with expats can be done at home, only the are still pats. So, another type of mingling was sort.

Then you mentioned the Missus.

Not quite sure what you are after now, but if I was correct in my earlier assumption, I'm out, you're weak, and I feel sorry for your lady.

Otherwise, enjoy.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

LOL. First the OP states he can stay at home if he wants to drink $.50 cheap grog, but then states he is ok with paying an extra $1.00 for that same $.50 cheap grog. That doesn’t make much sense to me.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Yes, this is one of the reasons I am reluctant to meet newbies.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

GeeKay wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:11 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:44 am
GeeKay wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:36 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:02 am
Kammekor wrote:
You haven't been around for a while, have you?
Haha, yeah. I was just about to comment the same. Inflation is a thing, and very few spots have .50 draft anymore. $1.5+ seems to be the norm, though one can still find 50 cent draft for happy hour in a few places, but the you'll be with all the undesirables. ;-) As the night progresses, probably ces tend to increase.
I'm on holidays so I can handle the $1 increase because I can only drink 30 beers a day.

Whoops I think you may have just put me on the "undesirables" crew. That's ok I'm back on 50c drafts with the team.
Just check the people on the 50c beers these days before making commitments....
Yeah no worries.

I actually don't mind a draft beer but very mindful when in Asia especially at a bar with no hot water dish washing machine.

Not a good look arriving back home to the missus in Sydney with a big cold sore ie. herpes virus on the lip.
Oh yeah, the streets are riddled with people with cold sores - all caught from an improperly washed beer glass.

I guess your wife/partner believed you though.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

violet wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:42 pm
GeeKay wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:11 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:44 am
GeeKay wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:36 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:02 am Haha, yeah. I was just about to comment the same. Inflation is a thing, and very few spots have .50 draft anymore. $1.5+ seems to be the norm, though one can still find 50 cent draft for happy hour in a few places, but the you'll be with all the undesirables. ;-) As the night progresses, probably ces tend to increase.
I'm on holidays so I can handle the $1 increase because I can only drink 30 beers a day.

Whoops I think you may have just put me on the "undesirables" crew. That's ok I'm back on 50c drafts with the team.
Just check the people on the 50c beers these days before making commitments....
Yeah no worries.

I actually don't mind a draft beer but very mindful when in Asia especially at a bar with no hot water dish washing machine.

Not a good look arriving back home to the missus in Sydney with a big cold sore ie. herpes virus on the lip.
Oh yeah, the streets are riddled with people with cold sores - all caught from an improperly washed beer glass.

I guess your wife/partner believed you though.
Yes, it had nothing to do with the syphilitic bints plying their trade around the only phnom.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

It may not be too tough at the border. But try posting on here. We can be protective at times. It's a brushes and tar, thing.

We're a tough crowd.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic