Phnom Pehn Current Vibe

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Phnom Pehn Current Vibe

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:43 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:02 am
Kammekor wrote:
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:11 am $ .50 drafts and $1-1.50 shots
U'll be happier than a fly on shit
You haven't been around for a while, have you?
Haha, yeah. I was just about to comment the same. Inflation is a thing, and very few spots have .50 draft anymore. $1.5+ seems to be the norm, though one can still find 50 cent draft for happy hour in a few places, but the you'll be with all the undesirables. ;-) As the night progresses, probably ces tend to increase.
I guess Soriya Mall still has a 50c happy hour draft. In the Riverside area there used to be quite a few 50c happy hour places, including Front Bar, but they either closed or raised prices. Getting a beer for less than 1$, even during happy hour, will be difficult in that area.
I know the difference with the quoted 50c beer is only 50c but since it's 100% up from the quote it's quite noticable.
Is the Mall still operating? The last time I passed, it looked ready to be bulldozed (and make way for some tasteful Chinese opulence?)

There’s a couple of places that have $0.75! And reasonable spirits. New corner (TyVy?) has good prices, some good food, and open air. Hopefully, nobody to spoil it.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:37 am
Kampot prices i see advertised when i am in town
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:04 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:37 am
Kampot prices i see advertised when i am in town
That's great, but....
GeeKay wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:42 am Ok I'm hitting the ground for my first visit in 3 weeks time.

Any updates on the movement in Phnom Pehn?
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Well this thread has been pretty instructive and somewhat discouraging. No, I don't care about 50-cent drafts. Paying $1.50 is still cheaper than Thailand. So it seems bar/cafe traffic is pretty light then, in other words low chance of having a decent chat and bumping into people you know/knew. Oh, and I'm not a hostess bar kind of guy.

Overall then, Cambodia and Vietnam are still feeling the lack of tourists, which makes for a less than satisfying night out -- just like my experience of Saigon and Vung Tau in May. In fact, an Aussie friend from Vung Tau just visited Bangkok and said don't rush back. He's OK though now that he is with his wife-to-be, which he hadn't seen in over 2 years.

Guess I'll wait, maybe after my trip to Canada in September.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:32 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:43 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:02 am
Kammekor wrote:
Haha, yeah. I was just about to comment the same. Inflation is a thing, and very few spots have .50 draft anymore. $1.5+ seems to be the norm, though one can still find 50 cent draft for happy hour in a few places, but the you'll be with all the undesirables. ;-) As the night progresses, probably ces tend to increase.
I guess Soriya Mall still has a 50c happy hour draft. In the Riverside area there used to be quite a few 50c happy hour places, including Front Bar, but they either closed or raised prices. Getting a beer for less than 1$, even during happy hour, will be difficult in that area.
I know the difference with the quoted 50c beer is only 50c but since it's 100% up from the quote it's quite noticable.
Is the Mall still operating? The last time I passed, it looked ready to be bulldozed (and make way for some tasteful Chinese opulence?)

There’s a couple of places that have $0.75! And reasonable spirits. New corner (TyVy?) has good prices, some good food, and open air. Hopefully, nobody to spoil it.
At least two are. Martini Pizza at the front (5000r cans) and the one at the main entrance.

Corner (or 'New Corner') on the corner of 144 and the riverside is indeed a nice place. Open air, river view, but better be avoided around 5PM when the riverside is a smelly traffic jam.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:13 pm Well this thread has been pretty instructive and somewhat discouraging. No, I don't care about 50-cent drafts. Paying $1.50 is still cheaper than Thailand. So it seems bar/cafe traffic is pretty light then, in other words low chance of having a decent chat and bumping into people you know/knew. Oh, and I'm not a hostess bar kind of guy.

Overall then, Cambodia and Vietnam are still feeling the lack of tourists, which makes for a less than satisfying night out -- just like my experience of Saigon and Vung Tau in May. In fact, an Aussie friend from Vung Tau just visited Bangkok and said don't rush back. He's OK though now that he is with his wife-to-be, which he hadn't seen in over 2 years.

Guess I'll wait, maybe after my trip to Canada in September.
Tourism is on the rise for sure, but so far it seems mainly the younger backpackers are coming. Big Easy on street 172 profits from it for sure with their 5$ bunk beds.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:37 am Harry's has quite a bunch of social customers .....
:lol: I wouldn't agree, everyone looks miserable in there. A few doors down on the corner of 136 is Olala which is quite pleasant and has a happy hour 75 cent draft and $1 bottles. The food is terrible though. Larry's on 110 has good food and out front is good for people watching.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It's rare that I get to Riverside these days, but on the odd occasion I do, usually it is tied in with a visit to another area.
Toul Tompoung seems quite busy at times, more so the area around street 460, and so does the Bassac Lane area, I visited The Welsh Embassy not too long ago, now that little bar is busy when it's not too busy, soon the customers will be waiting at the door to get service, try sometime. you will understand my meaning.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
GeeKay
Expatriate
Australia

Post by GeeKay »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:01 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:37 am Harry's has quite a bunch of social customers .....
:lol: I wouldn't agree, everyone looks miserable in there. A few doors down on the corner of 136 is Olala which is quite pleasant and has a happy hour 75 cent draft and $1 bottles. The food is terrible though. Larry's on 110 has good food and out front is good for people watching.
Drinking and people watching is my bag so Larry's will have to get a run. Good food won't come into play I'm not an eater when I'm drinking it wastes to much room in my belly for beverages.
"Money lost, Nothing lost......Confidence lost, Everything lost"
GeeKay
Expatriate
Australia

Post by GeeKay »

As a matter of interest do any bars have San Miguel light?

It is probably my favourite beer but I am versatile if need be.
"Money lost, Nothing lost......Confidence lost, Everything lost"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic