The goal of Cambodian conversation

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: The goal of Cambodian conversation

Post by Samouth »

taabarang wrote:I found the following quote in PARLER le Cambodian/COMPRENDRE le Cambodge.

Dans une conversation, le Khmer n'a pas peur du silence et peut rester de longs moments sans rien dire, sans que son interlocuteur ne parle non plus. Son silence ne signifie pas une gene, mais mais le bonheur d'etre avec autrui. Dans une reunion, ce qui restera comme souvenir, sera plus l'ambiance generale que le contenu intellectuel de l'echange.

In a conversation the Cambodian is not afraid of silence and and remain for a long time without saying anything without his questioner speaking either. His silence does not mean an embarrassment, but the happiness of being with others. In a meeting the memory that will remain is the general mood rather than the intellectual content of the exchange.

Well, I agree with this observation and while I enjoy the mutual affirmation of friendship, I do wish intellectual content played a bigger role. Cambodians, even uneducated ones, have much to offer if only they would unyoke themselves from the constraints of their outmoded cultural values. In addition, face saving puts too much of a value of non offensive lies than on truth that offends.
I think this statement can be applied to some Cambodians, but not all. If you were talking to me, you would find me so talkative. I think it depends of what type of Cambodian you are talking too. I agree that most of Cambodians are not good in holding conversation. They don't know how to express their ideas. They actually have ideas to share, but they just don't know how to get them out of their mouths. In addition, the knowledge on various topics. We don't really learn about the world, so no doubt we don't know much about it. If you are knowledgeable on various topics and general knowledge, you will afraid to talk or make a conversation with people, as you are confident that you will have something to talk or share about. On fact about the majority of Cambodians, we are not good in debate. At school, we don't learn about debate until at university.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

It's not a matter of holding a conversation or much less debating; it is about exchanging information of mutual interest. Most Cambodians see it as a chance to bond either at a personal level or a cultural one. As for cultural one how many times have I heard one say, "Khmer yoeung..."
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

taabarang wrote:It's not a matter of holding a conversation or much less debating; it is about exchanging information of mutual interest. Most Cambodians see it as a chance to bond either at a personal level or a cultural one. As for cultural one how many times have I heard one say, "Khmer yoeung..."
This is so true, but only apply to those who are living in rural areas. Lok Taa you are exposing too much with rural young Cambodians who might have never once come to PP.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"This is so true, but only apply to those who are living in rural areas. Lok Taa you are exposing too much with rural young Cambodians who might have never once come to PP."

I had to laugh your sentence suggests that I am showing too much of my body (exposing too much) to young Cambodians. Actually, I'm forthright, but a bit too modest for that. In any case since I'm 71 I usually talk with adults or my wife.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

taabarang wrote:"This is so true, but only apply to those who are living in rural areas. Lok Taa you are exposing too much with rural young Cambodians who might have never once come to PP."

I had to laugh your sentence suggests that I am showing too much of my body (exposing too much) to young Cambodians. Actually, I'm forthright, but a bit too modest for that. In any case since I'm 71 I usually talk with adults or my wife.
To expose yourself or someone in something, doesn't it means to experience in something ? :? :? :? :?

taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

The first meaning of expose is to reveal that which is hidden as in a magazine exposee(from the French). But if you expose yourself to people, especially younger ones, it has a sexual innuendo. I would avoid the possible misunderstanding by using the formal "associate with S.b. or the informal to hang out with s.b. And since you like grammar I would put it in the past perfect continuous tense, not the present continuous although it is certainly acceptable, if not preferable to the former.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

LOL. Sorry Samouth, but your mistake is really funny. Never mind.
Innuendo has to do with word patterns Samouth, and the two words together "exposing yourself" has sexual connotations for westerners.
(If you don't know what connotation means then look it up; it's an important part of translation.)
Anyway, I guess you won't "expose yourself" like that again ? :)
(Ok, this time it's a play on words and "expose yourself" means put yourself in an embarassing situation.)
Live and learn.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Anchor Moy wrote:LOL. Sorry Samouth, but your mistake is really funny. Never mind.
Innuendo has to do with word patterns Samouth, and the two words together "exposing yourself" has sexual connotations for westerners.
(If you don't know what connotation means then look it up; it's an important part of translation.)
(Ok, this time it's a play on words and "expose yourself" means put yourself in an embarassing situation.)
Live and learn.
i do know the word connotation. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: so ashamed.

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Samouth wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:LOL. Sorry Samouth, but your mistake is really funny. Never mind.
Live and learn.
i do know the word connotation. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: so ashamed.
Now now, I thought you weren't into "face". :wink:
Mistakes are just learning situations.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Anchor Moy wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Live and learn.
Now now, I thought you weren't into "face". :wink:
Mistakes are just learning situations.
I am not. I was into face saving, I would have erased my post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic