Ex-Leicester City Player Trains Siem Reap Football Team

Title says it all really...
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Ex-Leicester City Player Trains Siem Reap Football Team

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Ex-Leicester City youngster's journey from retiring at 21 to stardom in Cambodia
Jozsef Keaveny had retired from professional football at 21 after a number of severe injuries but an offer from a former coach to take a road less travelled has been life-changing
ByAlan SmithFootball News Reporter
08:00, 2 Jul 2022Updated09:15, 2 Jul 2022

“It was kind of a two-footed jump into the unknown,” says Jozsef Keaveny over a crackling phone line from Cambodia. “But I’m glad I’ve done it.” The 22-year-old is enjoying a day off at the beginning of the week in which Angkor Tiger resume their Premier League campaign and reflecting on the path to Siem Reap, where the humidity remains stifling seven months into his stay, it quickly becomes clear that Keaveny carries no regrets.

Turning out in the Cambodian top flight, set to resume Saturday following more than two months off to accommodate various international competitions, may be a long way from his teenage dreams of becoming a Premier League star at Leicester City.

But Keaveny is embracing a path few have taken. He is familiar with when to bow or give the customary lotus hand gesture, aware that it is frowned upon not to be fully clothed on the street and public displays of affection can be seen as disrespectful by the more conservative locals. He is even learning to accept that, in a country where the cost of living is so low, purchasing a punnet of strawberries can feel like extortion.

“I was prepared for things being different,” he says, recalling a warning from his mother to read up on the cultural differences before travelling. “It’s made me have that normal part of growing up, learning how to manage things by myself.

“There’s a lot to like about the lifestyle over here. The calmness of everything, which you don’t get too much in professional football, because it’s a high stress environment to be involved in. I still feel pressure on matchdays but the climate you’re in, the way people are here, makes it very easy to unwind between training and games and refocus.

“I was expecting there to be a lot less in terms of materialistic stuff and food but more or less everything I’d want back home I can get. Although, actually, certain fruits are absurdly expensive. The majority of products are much cheaper than at home but strawberries are $12 plus for something that’s a couple of quid back home.”
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... y-27355538
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Ex-Leicester City Player Trains Siem Reap Football Team

Jozsef Keaveny: From injury hell at Leicester to the Cambodian top tier
Simon Yaffe
23rd February 2022
Jozsef Keaveny is only 22. But he is open and honest about his long-term future in football.

The former Leicester City striker was out of the game for more than three years after suffering a devastating anterior cruciate ligament injury. He even retired, returning to his native Leicester and working in his old club’s education engagement team.

But now he is taking in a new adventure, after moving to Cambodia, where he has signed for top division team Angkor Tiger.

“I don’t see my long-term future in the game as a player,” Keaveny says. “My mind has been opened to what a short career football is and that it is something which cannot be taken for granted.”

It is one of the reasons why Keaveny already has his UEFA C Licence and has signed up, through the Football Association of Ireland, to take his UEFA B Licence.

He is also looking at doing some coaching in Cambodia.

Keaveny’s current plans are a far cry from his early days at Leicester, where he would regularly train alongside such names as Wes Morgan, Riyad Mahrez, Jamie Vardy and other members of the side which shocked the football world when they won the Premier League in 2016.
https://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth ... r-ireland/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Ex-Leicester City Player Trains Siem Reap Football Team

Alistair Heath interview: Leicester City to the Cambodian Premier League and a first managerial job with Angkor Tiger
Alistair Heath explains his decision to leave Leicester City’s academy to become the manager of Angkor Tiger in the Cambodian Premier League and reveals what he has learned from the experience of taking his first managerial job abroad
Adam Bate
Tuesday 11 October 2022 15:29, UK
Image: Alistair Heath worked in Leicester City's academy but wanted a taste of management

Alistair Heath was working in Leicester City’s academy but the young coach wanted something more. It is that desire to make the move into football management that has taken him on a journey to the Cambodian Premier League

For the past year, he has been in Siem Reap - more famous as the gateway to Angkor Wat, the largest religious monument in the world - as the manager of Angkor Tiger. It is a role that has tested him on the pitch and off it but Heath has no regrets about his decision.

"I am a football manager," he tells Sky Sports. "If you ask 95 per cent of people in England if they would move to Cambodia you would probably get a lot of negative answers because it is not on a lot of people's lists. But this is what I have set out to be since I was 17.

"I did not have the fortune to play football professionally. The offer came and it was not something that I could turn down. Football management is tough. There have been a lot of sacrifices but it is probably the best decision that I have ever made."
https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... gkor-tiger

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic