It´s not all bad..

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
MrBen87
Expatriate
Great Britain

It´s not all bad..

Post by MrBen87 »

As we are all well aware Cambodia is a developing country and it has it´s problems . There are many aspects which, from a westerners point of view are strange , bewildering and sometimes shocking. Some things I hate and disagree with and yes , I know if I dont like it then I should leave , but regardless of this I remain because there are also many things which I love about KH and actually think some "developed " countries could learn from .

I´d like to ask what aspects of Cambodia and it´s culture would you miss if you left and /or other countries would benefit from if they took a leaf out of Camboda´s book ?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: It´s not all bad..

Post by Jerry Atrick »

MrBen87 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:54 pm As we are all well aware Cambodia is a developing country and it has it´s problems . There are many aspects which, from a westerners point of view are strange , bewildering and sometimes shocking. Some things I hate and disagree with and yes , I know if I dont like it then I should leave , but regardless of this I remain because there are also many things which I love about KH and actually think some "developed " countries could learn from .

I´d like to ask what aspects of Cambodia and it´s culture would you miss if you left and /or other countries would benefit from if they took a leaf out of Camboda´s book ?
I'll take "Bum gun" for 10 points, Ben
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Well, I wouldn’t say it has anything to do with the culture, but I miss the ease of going out drinking and jumping in a tuk tuk for next to nothing to get home at the end of the night.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:03 pm
MrBen87 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:54 pm As we are all well aware Cambodia is a developing country and it has it´s problems . There are many aspects which, from a westerners point of view are strange , bewildering and sometimes shocking. Some things I hate and disagree with and yes , I know if I dont like it then I should leave , but regardless of this I remain because there are also many things which I love about KH and actually think some "developed " countries could learn from .

I've always felt that the bum gun is something that is hugely underrated. The problem with taking it to other countries though is that you need constant warm water. My friend, after spending some time in Thailand, wanted to put one in his apartment until it was pointed out to him that when you live in a place where the temperatures go way below freezing point in winter a bum gun isn't going to get much use. Nobody wants to blast freezing cold water up their freckle.
MrBen87
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MrBen87 »

yes cold water more of a stun gun 😫
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Not a one that is Cambodian specific, ( that is not in Thailand, Laos or Burma)

cold climate? want a bum shot:

Electric Bidet Seat for Round Toilets - Electronic Heated Toilet Seat with Warm Air Dryer and Temperature Controlled Wash Functions
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Random Dude wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:04 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:03 pm

I've always felt that the bum gun is something that is hugely underrated. The problem with taking it to other countries though is that you need constant warm water. My friend, after spending some time in Thailand, wanted to put one in his apartment until it was pointed out to him that when you live in a place where the temperatures go way below freezing point in winter a bum gun isn't going to get much use. Nobody wants to blast freezing cold water up their freckle.
I've known a few who have plumbed hot water pipes to use bum guns in Europe after leaving Cambodia
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

A happy medium for me would be between the complete lack of regulation here and the hyper regulation on things back "home" for me.

i.e. One time back "home" I ran out of gas in my car because of cracked fuel line. Fixed the line (cut the old end off, put the hose back on) but had no gas, so I picked up an empty oil container and went to the bus stop. Bus driver wouldn't let me on because "no flammable liquids" even though it was empty, so I walked an hour to the nearest gas station, but then I got stopped and wasn't allowed to buy gas unless into a "proper gas can", so I had to buy a "proper" gas can for like $20 just so I could make that hour long walk back to my stranded car, which then had a ticket on it because I wasn't supposed to have left it where it was.

Here, doesn't matter what container you have, so long as you have money for that and a tuk tuk, you're good to go.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Finland has bum guns.

I like the easy access to local transport, but with it comes people living on a very different position socially/monetarily.

I hate using taxis in the UK for the same reason I don’t bother getting a haircut there, anymore. Too expense, and not really worth the result.
Truth, though, is that there is little that’s unique to everyday Cambodia that I’d want to have anywhere else.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

"Finland has bum guns."

It says a lot for their plumbing, or maybe just for their toughness.

Speaking for myself, when I turn on a hot tap or the shower I need to wait for the hot water to come through. If I had a bum gun here there's no way I'd be man enough to use it without running it for 10 or 20 seconds first because the water would be freezing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic