Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Pedrazo
Expatriate

Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop?

Post by Pedrazo »

Yesterday, my girlfriend (29 years old) was blowing up balloons preparing for her niece's birthday party. Blowing air, with her lips.

Her sister had bought the niece a helium balloon at a shop that was in the corner of the room of course risen up to the ceiling.

My girlfriend blows up a balloon and ties it off. It's resting on the table in front of her.

Then she points to the balloon in the corner and back to her balloon and asks "Why doesn't it go up?"
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop?

Post by Tootsfriend »

Pedrazo wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:52 am Yesterday, my girlfriend (29 years old) was blowing up balloons preparing for her niece's birthday party. Blowing air, with her lips.

Her sister had bought the niece a helium balloon at a shop that was in the corner of the room of course risen up to the ceiling.

My girlfriend blows up a balloon and ties it off. It's resting on the table in front of her.

Then she points to the balloon in the corner and back to her balloon and asks "Why doesn't it go up?"
I bet if she said , You hansom man I love you, that would really make you stop in your tracks.

Many years ago my old girlfriend and I were watching on tv the launching of a rocket taking a satellite to the International Space Station, and she asked what they were doing. Trying not to complicate the issue, I said they were going to land it on the moon. Her reaction was lots of laughing , you cannot land on the moon , if you do that it will fall down.
violet
Expatriate

Re: Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop?

Post by violet »

I hope the tone of the posts is more about reaching an understanding of how much of our knowledge and understanding of the world comes from exposure to opportunities to learn at a young age (and how the average Cambodian for so long was without those opportunities) rather than a tone of laughing at how stupid some people can be.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Jlucas
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Jlucas »

got in a argument once explaining that zombies aren't real- and then being told that eating a steak would cause a cough
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

but without stupid people we would have no one to laugh at.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:45 am
Pedrazo wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:52 am Yesterday, my girlfriend (29 years old) was blowing up balloons preparing for her niece's birthday party. Blowing air, with her lips.

I bet if she said , You hansom man I love you, that would really make you stop in your tracks.

Many years ago my old girlfriend and I were watching on tv the launching of a rocket taking a satellite to the International Space Station, and she asked what they were doing. Trying not to complicate the issue, I said they were going to land it on the moon. Her reaction was lots of laughing , you cannot land on the moon , if you do that it will fall down.
That is ridiculous!

Everyone knows you can't land on the moon because Norodom Sihanouk is on the moon (or, at least his face is). Sheesh, don't you know anything?

:facepalm:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The moon’s made of cheese- it would be melted by the rockets. Tasty, though.

Have you ever had a conversation with a flat-Earther?
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:06 am The moon’s made of cheese- it would be melted by the rockets. Tasty, though.

Have you ever had a conversation with a flat-Earther?

Yes, several of them. I won't mention the poster's names.
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

Yes: that the Khmer Rouge were really Vietnamese... :facepalm:

Told to me by a young hotel worker in PP a few years back, upon his learning I lived in VN. I asked where he heard that, and he replied "in school".
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Not said, done.

The guy who rented my wooden shack in front of my house once helped me out when I had a snake in my garage. While I was carefully examining it and trying to catch it, he simply grabbed it by the tail and smacked it on the concrete floor. Left, right, left, and the snake was dead. Then he ordered his wife to cook a nice snake soup and get ricewine and two hours later he was wasted because of the ricewine that came with the soup.
The guy was a total prick and a wife beater and he didn't know now anything about balloons, satellites or rocket science but he sure knew how to get rid of the snake. Jaw dropping experience.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic