Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop?

Post by Big Daikon »

Random Dude wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:45 am These were small-town bumpkin types, doubt they'd know the difference. Their world opinion is based on mostly derogatory stereotypes.
Yeah, that happens.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop?

Post by Random Dude »

Big Daikon wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:54 am
Random Dude wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:45 am These were small-town bumpkin types, doubt they'd know the difference. Their world opinion is based on mostly derogatory stereotypes.
Yeah, that happens.
I was actually really surprised to find out that to a lot of Asians, westerners all look the same.

I worked with two guys who were both very overweight. One was bald and clean-shaven, the other had hair and a goatee. Locals would still get them confused all the time though, apparently all fat foreigners look the same.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Random Dude wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:30 am …really surprised to find out that to a lot of Asians, westerners all look the same.

I worked with two guys who were both very overweight. One was bald and clean-shaven, the other had hair and a goatee. Locals would still get them confused all the time though, apparently all fat foreigners look the same.
Actually, same in Africa. The politically correct would have people think this is racism and bigotry, when in fact, this is simply a fact of life.

Truth be told, if I look at swmbo’s various relatives in the province, there are very distinct and similar facial features, along with frame size, that are common.
I presume it’s why cousins can resemble each other closely. Yet, the flip side of that is that twins can be totally dissimilar.
For people not regularly exposed to a variety of different races/peoples, I can see how it blends into insignificance.

I think it’s a fascinating part of people watching.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:53 pm
Random Dude wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:30 am …really surprised to find out that to a lot of Asians, westerners all look the same.

Actually, same in Africa. The politically correct would have people think this is racism and bigotry, when in fact, this is simply a fact of life.

Truth be told, if I look at swmbo’s various relatives in the province, there are very distinct and similar facial features, along with frame size, that are common.
I presume it’s why cousins can resemble each other closely. Yet, the flip side of that is that twins can be totally dissimilar.
For people not regularly exposed to a variety of different races/peoples, I can see how it blends into insignificance.

That might explain why all the ladies in Thailand call me handsome man when I walk down the street. They don't realise I'm just another haggard beach bum, they look at me and assume I'm Brad Pitt. :D
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

What this Cambodian lady did completely blew my mind.

A couple of months ago I planned a trip to Phnom Tamao zoo. Me and my 2 plus her and her daughter and her nephew.
It was agreed that she would sort the travel arrangements as she did some asking around and she found out the road was under construction so going via tuk tuk was not advised.
That didn’t really shock me it was what happened next.

She found a guy with a minibus and agreed a price. She asked what time we wanted to arrive at the zoo then worked backwards accounting for travel time from my place to the zoo, then from her place to my place. She then added a little “buffer” time and came up with a departure time from her place.

Then to cap all that the day before she did a reconnaissance of my place so she would be able to direct the van straight there as she knew exactly where we were.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:27 am

(edited a bit)

There’s a saying; the only stupid question is the one that wasn’t asked.
True, and only when it is finally asked do we understand how stupid it was
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

hdgh29 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:37 am
Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:27 am

(edited a bit)

There’s a saying; the only stupid question is the one that wasn’t asked.
True, and only when it is finally asked do we understand how stupid it was
If only people would study and get a Degree in Stupidology then they could easily understand the stupid questions and be able to answer them with the right stupid answers.
Spoiler:
Yes I do have a Degree in Stupidology
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:53 pm

For us Europeans its mostly the homogeneity issue. We are mixed race - Roman / Nordic / Anglo / Latinate etc so we are used to seeing everyone around us with different skin tones, eye colours, hair colours etc. When we are confronted with a purer race such as Japanese where everyone has the same hair, eye and skin colour etc we get confused because we cannot immediately see distinguishing features. Some of us, the lazy ones, never progress further than that and just fall back on stereotypes and generalisations. Sad but comfortable, like eating shepherds pie 'like your mum used to make'.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Maybe this is about personal space but I was giving some meds to a friend of mine in a plastic bag. My khmer friend's father who I know well just walked up and opened the bag. He looked inside and took items out asking what it was.

One item was itraconazole cream so my khmer american friend explained what it was and the father opened it and put some on the side of his finger.
I seen similar behavior before but still surprised me. My khmer friend's father obviously felt comfortable enough doing this.

Curious what would happen if I did it to him. Would he accept it as ok?
It is what it is. Accepted it and moved on but thought of it just now because of this thread
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

A long time ago I was chatting to this guy who was a motodop at the time. He went on to be a tuk tuk driver, then went to college and nowadays is doing very well as a plantation manager. Anyway, he seemed like a reasonably smart guy so one day I asked him as we were driving through a Cham area what he thought about Chams.

So he said "I don't like them. The Cham are sorcerers. They get the poison tree bark and magically put it in your stomach. Then you are sick in your stomach forever."

"Okay" I replied.

:?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic