Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop?

Post by Big Daikon »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:07 am
Big Daikon wrote: I've had Japanese people ask me if we have rice in the US or how many seasons we have. The questions took me by surprise but I answered them truthfully and respectfully.

"Peaceful curiosity" is a nice choice of words.
Be glad you aren’t black then. The Japanese locals would be wanting to touch you (to make sure it isn’t paint) and your hair (to see if those are real braids) all day long.

Although there is an ‘actress’ called Black Gal there. She actually isn’t black, just a very tanned Japanese woman.

Anyways, back on topic, sorry for the diversion.
To be fair, white people also get some weird questions/comments about our physical features. You learn to shrug it off.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop?

Post by Ghostwriter »

When preparing to come for work in Kow for the first time, someone told me that some wealthy Cambodian sport cars owners (Lambo, Bugatti, etc) used a tow-truck to pass the cars over speed bumpers so they can go out of town having their speed fun on public roads / highways. That made my jaw drop a bit, at the time.
Don't know if it's even true, anyone ?
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:44 am
Ghostwriter wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:46 am I liké candid questions such as " do you have clouds in your country" which was asked to me once...
Not dumb, not reeking anything except of peaceful curiosity (it was an old man in the countryside) and lack of this information somehow.

I found it quite poetic and timeless, and i wait for questions like this from oldies & kids.

Sometimes people also pretend to do not know to test us a bit, and we wrongly assume their lack of culture.
I've had Japanese people ask me if we have rice in the US or how many seasons we have. The questions took me by surprise but I answered them truthfully and respectfully.

"Peaceful curiosity" is a nice choice of words.
I've had the 'how many seasons do you have' question a few times too. The first time I was asked it seemed like the stupidest question in the world to me - right up there with asking if the sun goes up/down in my country - but later when I thought about I realized it was actually quite a reasonable question coming from people who lived near areas that effectively only had the wet season/dry season.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

The other half has asked me, when I’ve been back in Europe working, why it was already dark (winter). Or why it was still daylight (midsummer). Especially when further north in Scandinavia.

For folk who’ve spent their entire life with a lot less seasonal variation, just as in seasonal weather, it’s clearly a curiosity if they have time. Of great interest if they are more than a little curious, and a bit meh, if not. Trying to explain earth rotation, orbit and axial tilt via webcam can be interesting. Trying to explain it to luddites in a classroom can be a bit challenging.

In a similar weather vein, when I’ve worked with colleagues from northern Europe where thunderstorms are to be respected, but generally don’t develop that heavily, it’s been interesting as they reconcile what they see now. We all of us get a bit knocked by things outside of our ordinary.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

I havent come across much like this here, but when I lived in NZ my Lao wife's family would ask some real dumb stuff. We would be watching news and they would ask me things like "Where is Germany?" or "where is Italy near?". When I went to Vietnam for contract work they all told me, completely seriously, that I probably would not come back because all Vietnamese people were killers and I would not survive. To be fair my wife also used to tell me that her people were the dumbest in the world, mainly because Laos had no sea access so they couldn't go anywhere.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Japanese people have asked me some weird questions over the years. "Is America cold?" and the like. Questions about hamburgers and guns are common. The Japanese are a rather educated population but still quite insular in many ways. Or, frankly, indifferent to the rest of the world.

(Not to be hypocritical, Americans are not famous for their geographical knowledge of the world. See below.)

Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Big Daikon wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:55 am Japanese people have asked me some weird questions over the years. "Is America cold?" and the like. Questions about hamburgers and guns are common. The Japanese are a rather educated population but still quite insular in many ways. Or, frankly, indifferent to the rest of the world.

(Not to be hypocritical, Americans are not famous for their geographical knowledge of the world. See below.)

When I was in China I had some awesome questions too.
What do people eat in Waiguo (foreign land - pretty much the rest of the world)? Seemed surprised that the rest of the world didn't eat KFC, pizza or hamburgers every day because that's 'foreigners traditional food'..
How much is rent there?
What's the weather like?

And also not to be hypocritical, I was asked some stupid questions on visits back home as well.
So, do you have to eat dog meat all the time?
You live WHERE? China? So do you have to like, speak Japanese or whatever there?
And my personal favourite... do the chicks there really have a sideways vag?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

hdgh29 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:13 am I havent come across much like this here, but when I lived in NZ my Lao wife's family would ask some real dumb stuff. We would be watching news and they would ask me things like "Where is Germany?" or "where is Italy near?". When I went to Vietnam for contract work they all told me, completely seriously, that I probably would not come back because all Vietnamese people were killers and I would not survive. To be fair my wife also used to tell me that her people were the dumbest in the world, mainly because Laos had no sea access so they couldn't go anywhere.
I may have told y’all this story before, so apologies, just skip by.
At a dinner meeting to accept and collect a new aircraft from Boeing, many years ago, one representative at the meeting was a very senior accountant for a US carrier.

In discussions on various topics, the subject of travel and vacations came up. He’d just cancelled his family’s vacation to France.

-Oh, why?
-because of the war, he told us.

What war? You may ask, We did.

In Iraq.

After some further gentle probing from others at the table, it appeared that his understanding of geography was this-
France = Europe, Europe = France. It’s the same place, and not very big.
Europe, for some includes Turkey.
There’s a border…
Iraq is on the other side.
Very close to France. Bordering it, effectively.

His PA was speechless, and was clearly embarrassed.
Apparently, he’d never left Continental US, except to go to Hawaii. He was in his late 40s.
Interestingly, His own airline was in Chapter 11 at the time.

There’s a saying; the only stupid question is the one that wasn’t asked.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Random Dude wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:16 am And my personal favourite... do the chicks there really have a sideways vag?
Always thought that was Japan rather than China. Live and learn.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Big Daikon wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:32 am
Random Dude wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:16 am And my personal favourite... do the chicks there really have a sideways vag?
Always thought that was Japan rather than China. Live and learn.
These were small-town bumpkin types, doubt they'd know the difference. Their world opinion is based on mostly derogatory stereotypes.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic