Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop?

Post by Ghostwriter »

I liké candid questions such as " do you have clouds in your country" which was asked to me once...
Not dumb, not reeking anything except of peaceful curiosity (it was an old man in the countryside) and lack of this information somehow.

I found it quite poetic and timeless, and i wait for questions like this from oldies & kids.

Sometimes people also pretend to do not know to test us a bit, and we wrongly assume their lack of culture.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop?

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Cambodians have a similar thread on their forum.
The posts are things like, "A Westerner, drinking in my bar, said he only had a little bit of money, so couldn't buy me a drink. They spend the last of their money in a bar!" and
"... and they always ask if I want to go home with them. I think, 'Oh yeah, I woke up this morning thinking, Today, I hope I meet an ugly old fat whitey, that stinks of cigarettes and booze, and can't even get a lady his own age back home, and then he asks me if I want to go home with him.' I want to say, 'It's everything I have got, to hold back a vomit at the thought of it.'
No I don't want that. I want the money at the end. Then you won't see me for the dust, Camel-breath."

(Reply)
You sing it sister! Respect!
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:58 am
John Bingham wrote:I remember how you went out of your way to meet educated people while you were holidaying here. ACE? That place you spent months complaining about? Great idea, TEFL and IELTS are the way to go... :please:
Everyone is educated in their own way. The villagers know how to survive everything and live on nothing (at least to me).

ACE taught Australian. Football pitches, Beetroot, queuing, stuff that doesn’t exist in the US. However, it did provide a western education along with teaching English. People did land on the moon, for example. The students there had to debate the worldwide obesity epidemic (only seeing morbidly obese westerners in Phnom Penh as reference). As well as practical western customs, like going to the airport and getting on an airplane. This was actually super useful as several Khmer depended on her to lead the way on the flight to the US.
Again you show how you don't know the difference between a language center and a school with a full curriculum.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:25 am Cambodians have a similar thread on their forum.
The posts are things like, "A Westerner, drinking in my bar, said he only had a little bit of money, so couldn't buy me a drink. They spend the last of their money in a bar!" and
"... and they always ask if I want to go home with them. I think, 'Oh yeah, I woke up this morning thinking, Today, I hope I meet an ugly old fat whitey, that stinks of cigarettes and booze, and can't even get a lady his own age back home, and then he asks me if I want to go home with him.' I want to say, 'It's everything I have got, to hold back a vomit at the thought of it.'
No I don't want that. I want the money at the end. Then you won't see me for the dust, Camel-breath."

(Reply)
You sing it sister! Respect!
Need a link to that forum, it sounds hilarious! :bow:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:55 pm
atst wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:10 pm Tried checking if the door is locked by pushing the door, now that did make my day.
To me that's normal. How do you go about checking if doors are locked or not?
Try checking the handle if it turns or not, not palm push on the door, sorry I didn't explain it clear enough.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Ghostwriter wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:46 am I liké candid questions such as " do you have clouds in your country" which was asked to me once...
Not dumb, not reeking anything except of peaceful curiosity (it was an old man in the countryside) and lack of this information somehow.

I found it quite poetic and timeless, and i wait for questions like this from oldies & kids.

Sometimes people also pretend to do not know to test us a bit, and we wrongly assume their lack of culture.
I've had Japanese people ask me if we have rice in the US or how many seasons we have. The questions took me by surprise but I answered them truthfully and respectfully.

"Peaceful curiosity" is a nice choice of words.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

atst wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:41 am
atst wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:10 pm Tried checking if the door is locked by pushing the door, now that did make my day.
Try checking the handle if it turns or not, not palm push on the door, sorry I didn't explain it clear enough.
Again, It’s a curious thing, and I wonder if some of these aren’t simply lost in translation.

First of all, our idea of privacy is a concept which is difficult to get across to some folk where a very communal lifestyle exists.
I’ve had to take to Locking doors and even ban some visitors simply because they can’t conceive of why the door is closed, and why they should not enter, or should knock and wait (or fuck off until I’m not busy)

I haven’t checked, but colloquially, do people use closed as locked, interchangeably? I’ve noticed a few times that SWMBO and some others have said closed when she means the padlock. Closed, and closed with the lock.

I have to give some latitude in the use of English, where the local use of the native language can be a bit casual.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

atst wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:41 am
Maybe generally in life she encounters a door where she does push on it, and on this occasion she was on autopilot. It does happen
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

rozzieoz wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:08 pm This thread reeks of privilege.
Mocking people because they don't have the same education as you is disgusting.

Did you actually explain why the balloon doesn't rise or did you just mock and act like a superior douche?
Nothing wrong with a bit of mocking mate, and the khmer are experts at that, with us mostly as targets. No different to jokes about the Irish, or Poms, kiwis or whatever. It's not usually mean spirited, just a laugh at someone else's expense, so perhaps you need to review you virtue signaling to use where it may be more appropriate.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Big Daikon wrote: I've had Japanese people ask me if we have rice in the US or how many seasons we have. The questions took me by surprise but I answered them truthfully and respectfully.

"Peaceful curiosity" is a nice choice of words.
Be glad you aren’t black then. The Japanese locals would be wanting to touch you (to make sure it isn’t paint) and your hair (to see if those are real braids) all day long.

Although there is an ‘actress’ called Black Gal there. She actually isn’t black, just a very tanned Japanese woman.

Anyways, back on topic, sorry for the diversion.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic