Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop?

Post by Big Daikon »

"Dumb Shit Expats Have Said" would be a fun read.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop?

Post by Kammekor »

General Mackevili wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:06 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:11 pm Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop? Not that I can recall, but plenty of Foreigners in Cambodia certainly have.
This reminds me of a Canadian English teacher a few years back. A bunch of us were watching a lunar eclipse and she said that the moon looks totally different than it does back home. She thought about it for a second, then said, 'I guess we see the other side of the moon from Cananda.'' :facepalm:

:bong:
She didn't teach in the enlightening ACE program, did she?
hairdo
BANNED
Guam

Post by hairdo »

Agreed, it's the foreigners that make me wonder why. Some people come to change everything just to find change in themselves or in the form of financial loss. The mad fun that was being played here has died down and now it's the woke crowd who fools around thinking they're the more mature bunch that will change everything for the better according to their twisted notions of superiority. Must admit, it's gotten a bit boring here of late in that dept. The crazies are gone, and the belief in crosswalks and red lights has returned. But we will survive, I'm sure of that.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

hairdo wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:27 am .. the belief in crosswalks and red lights has returned. But we will survive, I'm sure of that.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

In all countries you get some great myths/beliefs

Driving through the bush on west australian coast and my British born wife said that it will rain soon. When I said that there are no clouds in the sky she simply stated that I must be blind if I hadnt noticed some cows laydown on the grass. When asked to explain..........

She said they did that so they would have dry grass to eat after the rain stopped.

Highly educated, usually practical but gullible :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I know you will say yep she married me :hattip: :hattip: :hattip:
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

General Mackevili wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:06 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:11 pm Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop? Not that I can recall, but plenty of Foreigners in Cambodia certainly have.
This reminds me of a Canadian English teacher a few years back. A bunch of us were watching a lunar eclipse and she said that the moon looks totally different than it does back home. She thought about it for a second, then said, 'I guess we see the other side of the moon from Cananda.'' :facepalm:

:bong:
Yeah, but only during the day! :roll:
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Tried checking if the door is locked by pushing the door, now that did make my day.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

atst wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:10 pm Tried checking if the door is locked by pushing the door, now that did make my day.
To me that's normal. How do you go about checking if doors are locked or not?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

John Bingham wrote:I remember how you went out of your way to meet educated people while you were holidaying here. ACE? That place you spent months complaining about? Great idea, TEFL and IELTS are the way to go... :please:
Everyone is educated in their own way. The villagers know how to survive everything and live on nothing (at least to me).

ACE taught Australian. Football pitches, Beetroot, queuing, stuff that doesn’t exist in the US. However, it did provide a western education along with teaching English. People did land on the moon, for example. The students there had to debate the worldwide obesity epidemic (only seeing morbidly obese westerners in Phnom Penh as reference). As well as practical western customs, like going to the airport and getting on an airplane. This was actually super useful as several Khmer depended on her to lead the way on the flight to the US.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:58 am
John Bingham wrote:I remember how you went out of your way to meet educated people while you were holidaying here. ACE? That place you spent months complaining about? Great idea, TEFL and IELTS are the way to go... :please:
Everyone is educated in their own way. The villagers know how to survive everything and live on nothing (at least to me).

ACE taught Australian. Football pitches, Beetroot, queuing, stuff that doesn’t exist in the US. However, it did provide a western education along with teaching English. People did land on the moon, for example. The students there had to debate the worldwide obesity epidemic (only seeing morbidly obese westerners in Phnom Penh as reference). As well as practical western customs, like going to the airport and getting on an airplane. This was actually super useful as several Khmer depended on her to lead the way on the flight to the US.
What bullshit.

And I too remember you quite freely and publicly saying how inferior ACE was, but now you manage to find some positives (albeit lightweight ones considering I have taught at a number of English language schools who offer your positives and more - even including British and USA references rather than what you think is just Australian)
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic