Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Pedrazo
Expatriate

Re: Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop?

Post by Pedrazo »

atst wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:55 pm One evening sitting around having a few beers when just outside our gate a guy and girl hit our neighbors dog, we heard the bang then the moans, not one person wanted to get up and help and I was told to sit down don't get involved, they were no more than 20 meters away wtf
That seems sensible to me. It probably makes Cambodians' jaws drop that foreigners will donate and raise money to save sick/injured/old dogs and offer huge rewards for lost dogs.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Re: Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop?

Post by Captain Bonez »

Me and some others nearly got run over by some guy driving a car once as he went through a red light. After giving him the middle finger, he shouted that it was ok for him to go through the red light because it was 'only red little bit'

I once told a local lady that the rhinoceros were related to unicorns, she believed that no questions asked
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

rozzieoz wrote:This thread reeks of privilege.
Mocking people because they don't have the same education as you is disgusting.
It is disgusting that Cambodian education has been failing the Khmer for decades. We mock the system and feel sorry for them. How can they prepared to compete at the international level? Maybe the Chinese masters will take pity on them and improve public education for them.

Khmer should go through the ACE program. It packs a basic level western education along with teaching English.

These are my opinions and mine alone.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

After several months of living in Poipet last year and befriending a local guy which is hard to do as most of you now but we truly achieved friendship and liked each other after many trials and tests and I respected him, intellectually also.
He had been a monk for 6 years and had a pretty interesting background despite being cagey about it at first. He had immediate family that was senior management in the KR and that type of stuff and was relatively forthcoming about it once we trusted each other.

Like 98% of the local population in Poipet, he had very little interest in Phnom Penh and one day over some beers he even told me that locals in that part of the KOW considered Phnom Penh to not belong to Cambodia. They thought it part of Vietnam!

I spit beer up through my nose. I was completely floored by what he told me. I can't tell you the rest of our conversation.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:41 pm
rozzieoz wrote:This thread reeks of privilege.
It is disgusting that Cambodian education has been failing the Khmer for decades. We mock the system and feel sorry for them. How can they prepared to compete at the international level? Maybe the Chinese masters will take pity on them and improve public education for them.

Khmer should go through the ACE program. It packs a basic level western education along with teaching English.

These are my opinions and mine alone.
I remember how you went out of your way to meet educated people while you were holidaying here. ACE? That place you spent months complaining about? Great idea, TEFL and IELTS are the way to go... :please:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
MG3
Expatriate

Post by MG3 »

rozzieoz wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:08 pm This thread reeks of privilege.

Did you actually explain why the balloon doesn't rise or did you just mock and act like a superior douche?
I don’t think it has to be mockery. Many posters get have relationships with Cambodians and are even raising half Cambodian children in the USA or abroad. It think it’s helpful to know there may be non-obvious limitations of what many Cambodians understand about the world. It also helps to have anecdotal evidence of how bad the Cambodian educational system really is.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

MG3 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:28 am
rozzieoz wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:08 pm This thread reeks of privilege.

Did you actually explain why the balloon doesn't rise or did you just mock and act like a superior douche?
I don’t think it has to be mockery. Many posters get have relationships with Cambodians and are even raising half Cambodian children in the USA or abroad. It think it’s helpful to know there may be non-obvious limitations of what many Cambodians understand about the world. It also helps to have anecdotal evidence of how bad the Cambodian educational system really is.
Just because people think differently from what you are used to doesn't make them stupid. My jaw drops all the time - so many things astound me every day. Some good, some not so good. If it makes you think twice, that can't be bad.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:45 am
Pedrazo wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:52 am Yesterday, my girlfriend (29 years old) was blowing up balloons preparing for her niece's birthday party. Blowing air, with her lips.

Her sister had bought the niece a helium balloon at a shop that was in the corner of the room of course risen up to the ceiling.

My girlfriend blows up a balloon and ties it off. It's resting on the table in front of her.

Then she points to the balloon in the corner and back to her balloon and asks "Why doesn't it go up?"
I bet if she said , You hansom man I love you, that would really make you stop in your tracks.

She would probably then ask the same question.

To the OP: I think that is a perfectly good question; she's not familiar with helium. I hope you didn't laugh, discouraging her from asking questions in the future.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Captain Bonez wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:07 pm Me and some others nearly got run over by some guy driving a car once as he went through a red light. After giving him the middle finger, he shouted that it was ok for him to go through the red light because it was 'only red little bit'

I once told a local lady that the rhinoceros were related to unicorns, she believed that no questions asked
She might have been humouring you, and told her friends "He actually thought I believed him. Barang schutzaroobong!"

Either that, or she didn't understand a word you said.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:11 pm Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop? Not that I can recall, but plenty of Foreigners in Cambodia certainly have.
This reminds me of a Canadian English teacher a few years back. A bunch of us were watching a lunar eclipse and she said that the moon looks totally different than it does back home. She thought about it for a second, then said, 'I guess we see the other side of the moon from Cananda.'' :facepalm:

:bong:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic