Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop?

Post by techietraveller84 »

I can't say anything in particular, but a lot of it has to do with the superstition taught when young. Every culture has its Santa Clauses, but just aren't ever told he isn't real...I try not to laugh, but educate. IF they don't believe me, I provide proof, smartphones are great for that!
Bookworm
Tourist
Austria

Re: Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop?

Post by Bookworm »

I had a young student who was afraid to go to the bathroom by herself because she was afraid of the ghosts, I asked her who told her such rubbish about ghosts in the bathroom, she replied my Khmer teacher!!!!.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

A friend is in Battambang, I recommended to see the bat cave.
It's raining there & they asked if the bats will fly out if it's raining :shock:
I replied that they use ears to see & this is why they call it Bat a bang.
I'm totally stumped & curious to know if the bats will fly out in the rain :unknown:
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Yobbo wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:53 pm A friend is in Battambang, I recommended to see the bat cave.
It's raining there & they asked if the bats will fly out if it's raining :shock:
I replied that they use ears to see & this is why they call it Bat a bang.
I'm totally stumped & curious to know if the bats will fly out in the rain :unknown:
A fisherman in Indonesia once told me that you can tell if it's going to rain tonight/tomorrow morning by the bats, they won't come out just before it rains. I have no idea how true it is but I feel like people whose lives revolve around the weather probably know how to read the signs.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

This thread reeks of privilege.
Mocking people because they don't have the same education as you is disgusting.

Did you actually explain why the balloon doesn't rise or did you just mock and act like a superior douche?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Has a Cambodian ever said something that stopped your in your tracks or made your jaw drop? Not that I can recall, but plenty of Foreigners in Cambodia certainly have.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Random Dude wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:21 pm
Yobbo wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:53 pm I'm totally stumped & curious to know if the bats will fly out in the rain :unknown:
A fisherman in Indonesia once told me that you can tell if it's going to rain tonight/tomorrow morning by the bats, they won't come out just before it rains. I have no idea how true it is but I feel like people whose lives revolve around the weather probably know how to read the signs.
Isn’t it somewhat alluded to in a few replies, even by accident.

What people are taught, and which goes unquestioned or unreasoned, will pretty much form their knowledge. We’ve just been having a conversation about this, over a pink gin or three.

If you gave a 5 year old a balloon inflated by mouth, and then gave them a balloon with helium, they’d likely notice the different behaviour. But if nobody gave an explanation other than ‘it’s magic*’ and persisted with that explanation for another 2 decade, can you really blame the grown up child for not understanding?

When an adult from a developed country rants on about flat earth, that’s a very different issue, I think.

One is a point of basic ignorance (in its real sense), while the other is somewhere between barking mad and dumb.

The person for whom the scientific difference between exhaled air and helium balloons has no practical daily use, is likely going to concentrate on other stuff that you and I are just as likely to dismiss or take for granted.
It’s jaw dropping that in the 21st century, witchcraft results in murders, bad education and poor education, while wealthy local privilege holds many people back.

Ps. I’m sure bats do operate in the rain, but have no data to back that up. I suspect they know better than we do, when it’s going to happen. I’ve got an app for that.

*for instance
Last edited by Freightdog on Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Just for the record: Bats generally avoid heavy rain, though they will fly in light drizzle.
Rain and humidity can affect their radars is why they try to avoid rain.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

We absorbed a lot of science and particularly physics in our formative years.
In school by osmosis.
In practice- by blowing shit up, working on cars and getting shit faced.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

"Here's your correct change".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic