Kids in the intersection

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: Kids in the intersection

Post by Samouth »

I am not really sure how inappropriate it is to post picture of children here, however i just want to share.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Samouth wrote:I am not really sure how inappropriate it is to post picture of children here, however i just want to share.
I think that is a great photo...nothing inappropriate about it. It protects their dignity by hiding their faces, yet does so in a natural way that is also part of the sad, conflicting, very real story that this photo tells.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Samouth wrote:Image

I am not really sure how inappropriate it is to post picture of children here, however i just want to share.
It's a great photo that tells a story - and makes me even more angry about the adults that a) are the parents that rent these kids out or b) are the Fagans that profit from the misery of these kids. What an absolute tragedy.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Great photo. It says a lot, well done.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Ditto on the pic - Poignant

As mentioned in the thread there are a growing number of gluesniffers omnipresent along the riverside. I get the feeling there is one woman who may have even given birth to her baby along there.

The trinket selling kids are all organised by goons, and the ladies begging with kids outside Chiang Mai are professional beggars - doing it for years.

You can't even be sure with the old stooped over ladies either. I wrote once before of watching one work a section along Psar Kandal. Once she turned the corner, she stood bolt upright and walked off quiet ably with her loot.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Brings to mind one of the woman beggars working the riverfront for years. Now she seems to have moved on to selling books on the riverfront. But back when she was begging, she always had at least one kid with her, sometimes more. And of the kids, there was always one that was obviously injured or diseased. For the longest time she had the hydrocephalus kid (with the giant head) with her. Then he disappeared and she had a half-starved looking infant. Then he disappeared and she had some young girl with a shabbily splinted arm. I tried intervening a couple of times but the story was so convoluted and impenetrable I gave up.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

H. Kid is wheeled out around Psaar TTP from time to time.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

LTO wrote:For the longest time she had the hydrocephalus kid (with the giant head) with her.
I remember going for a stroll down the quays with my folks years ago. We stopped near those shrines and got swamped by beggars. My mom was horrified about that hydrocephalus kid. I suppose he must be dead by now. RIP.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

This picture might had proven that most of the children beggars that you guys might have seen walking and running around at the traffic lights were exploited and ordered to do it by older people.

Child abuse.
អាថោកមួយនេះព្រលឹមឡើងយកកូនក្មួយវាមកទំលាក់អោយសុំទានគេ(ក្មេង៣នាក់ក្នុងរូប)ទាំងម៉ូតូវាសារីថ្មីជាងអ្នកដាក់ទានផង។ ឃើញពួកគាត់នៅតែក្បែរកង់ឡានគេខ្ញុំស្រៀវសាច់ជំនួស។ រូបភាពនៅស្តុបអាងទឹកអូឡាំពិក៕

The text says

Child abuse
This cheap person brought his kids and nephew and niece (3 children) in the early morning to beg money from people. His motorbike is much more better than most of people who give money to the kid. I am so frustrated and scared seeing them standing close to the wheels of the car. This picture shot at the traffic light near Olympic water tower.

PS: I hold no responsibility for the authenticity of the text and picture.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

sad that this goes on, the kids should be out playing not having to survive/work like this... :/
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic