Kids in the intersection

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Kids in the intersection

Post by prahkeitouj »

juansweetpotato wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:
Samouth wrote:
Actually their parents were there with them, but maybe sitting somewhere you hardly notice. Do you believe that some of those kids run away from some organisations that were trying to help them?
It can be right, but I really notknow what my brain and heart can do? Do you think that if the organization can help them better will they want to run away ?
Exactly that. Too many NGO's in the business of making money. They are in fact just an extension of the street beggar scams that abound . By that I mean they are just using emotional blackmail to make a living. The kids are innocent pawns in all this, after all, they are just kids.some of them, the parents send them out to beg without even breakfast (they have money) the kids first job is to beg to eat. If I really knew what to do to help them apart from spending all my money feeding the hungry, which I have done at times before now ( could go a long way if I was Bill Gates) I really don't know what to do. How do you stop something that makes loads of cash for dodgy business men who probably have got a surplus of cash already? I guess you have to replace the need for the families to do it in the first place. The business men will always be there. Unfortunately there are more and more NGO's that are Khmer run pulling the same tricks, something they learnt of the westerners. :facepalm:
I don't know any NGOs and I can't say how are them? But maybe some NGOs are helpful and work better than us. I think they provides education, skills and educate morality to children. I saw some children from NGOs sell books. Once I asked a boy many questions about what the NGOs help him? After that I decided to buy two books from him and I gave him 50000 note. He didn't have any change so he didn't dare to take the money to exchange with anyone, but I let he go to change because I wanted to test him. Surprised ! He brought my money back :-) I don't think every kids on the streets are scamers, every NGOs are bad. I think besides their parents and NGOs, they also need our help.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:I call Francis, btw.
And you'd be wrong. Let's leave it at that. :whip:
Seems that way.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

juansweetpotato wrote:
badboybubby wrote:
LTO wrote:A year or so ago the authorities took to rounding up all of the street people and beggar kids, especially those really little kids working selling flowers and trinkets and begging in the intersections amongst traffic. There were some still out there, but their numbers seemed to dwindle for a while. Lately they seem back in force, more than before the crackdown, maybe a lot more. Seeing them in intersections all over town now, many selling flowers or dusting/begging. Some seem to be attached to family-like groups, others seem to be in teams of children, but not sure. Anyway, looks like there are a lot more kids on the street of Phnom Penh begging of late, and I am wondering if my observation is accurate, and if so, why the increase.
always sad to hear...not sure why the increased numbers but wonder whether it's a reflection of the usual (particularly developing world) disparity in wealth between rich and poor...
Yes , this is the interesting thing, why the apparent new surge? What are the core reasons? Is it indeed the countries new economic success that's driving it? Or all the families that left Thailand eventually migrating to PP, whether through their own desperation, or the emergence of gangs exploiting them who round them up for a days work and bus them in. I suspect both. and more..
Urbanization has typically come with a large increase in homelessness.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_penny_coffin

Even in the countryside and provincial capitals, I've noticed a surge in homelessness. There's an old lady (I mean like 85-90) by the side of Road 41. I used to see her fairly often as I drove down to Kampot. She'd just be sitting there, seemingly lost. Not begging, just on the side of the road. It broke my heart every time as I'm guessing all her close relatives are gone and whoever she's staying with must just barely tolerate her. Anyways, I'd stop/turn around and give her a thousand riel or something. She turned around and thanked me but had these huge cataracts, I'm not even sure if she could see me. Once some kid driving some hogs on the back of his bike turned around after seeing me and also gave some money. It's quite rare in the countryside so even more shocking I find.

I do find there's a large surge of the street beggars (both kids and older people, as well as wheel-chair bound ones) in the city. I also feel like there's been a rise in meth users and glue sniffers.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

I cant believe how dangerous riverside has becoming with the glue sniffers.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Urbanization has typically come with a large increase in homelessness.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_penny_coffin

Even in the countryside and provincial capitals, I've noticed a surge in homelessness. There's an old lady (I mean like 85-90) by the side of Road 41. I used to see her fairly often as I drove down to Kampot. She'd just be sitting there, seemingly lost. Not begging, just on the side of the road. It broke my heart every time as I'm guessing all her close relatives are gone and whoever she's staying with must just barely tolerate her. Anyways, I'd stop/turn around and give her a thousand riel or something. She turned around and thanked me but had these huge cataracts, I'm not even sure if she could see me. Once some kid driving some hogs on the back of his bike turned around after seeing me and also gave some money. It's quite rare in the countryside so even more shocking I find.

I do find there's a large surge of the street beggars (both kids and older people, as well as wheel-chair bound ones) in the city. I also feel like there's been a rise in meth users and glue sniffers.
A sad thought. So perhaps we are looking at the future here in all these homeless. The price of fundamental change.
The Add Jay wrote:I cant believe how dangerous riverside has becoming with the glue sniffers.
I'm sure there will be another sweep eventually, probably just before some big international even is about to come to town, throwing the glue-sniffers and beggar kids and prostitutes and all of the 'undesirables' in a cage and shipping them back out to Prey Speu.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

How the other half live ^
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Corner near City Mall?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Corner near City Mall?
Outside Chenla Theatre. Monitith & Mao Tse Tung traffic lights.
The grassy plot there is full in the afternoons with families of the 'underclass'.
Last edited by Rama on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

LTO wrote:Image
This is on my way to work. I have seen them almost everyday.
This morning I have captured a picture of one of them.

បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic