Phnom Penh Tuktuk Drivers Fight Over Customers

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Phnom Penh Tuktuk Drivers Fight Over Customers

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): According to the report, tuktuk drivers from different companies got into a heated dispute over customers at 10:25 pm, June 30, 2022, at Cara Tela point, west of the base of the Chroy Changvar bridge, in Srah commune, Daun Penh district.
In what appears to be a territorial disagreement, witnesses say that the drivers were arguing over passengers, causing violence and anarchy in the street.
A man who called a tuktuk at the scene was prevented from leaving by another tuktuk who blocked the way, so in the end he got out and walked away.
The different tuktuk drivers then got into a dispute and both sides were shouting and chasing the others in the street,causing traffic jams and clashes, but fortunately no one was injured.
It should be noted that after causing anarchy, the representatives of both associations appeared and came out to settle the negotiations. In future, each will divide the territory as if it were a private property, and each will only take customers from their own territory.
As for the people who were watching the incident, they just overreacted according to the tuktuk drivers.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Re: Phnom Penh Tuktuk Drivers Fight Over Customers

Post by Apollo91881 »

Don’t these apps bring an end to these territories?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Well, it was not that long ago when there was no Wi-Fi nor internet coverage on riverside, firstly the Tuktuk drivers doubled the prices, so they never had a fight over my custom. It's a hot walk to the other side of the river.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

A man who called a tuktuk at the scene was prevented from leaving by another tuktuk who blocked the way, so in the end he got out and walked away.

Smart move, never get involved...
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

One of the last Tuktuk rides I took was with PassApp, needing to get to highway 6 to get a bus to Kampong Cham. The fare on the App said clearly 11,000riels. The Tuktuk driver told me it was a difficult route, being that there were several road closers and he would have to charge me 20,000riels, I told him sorry the price is already agreed on the App, and I am no tourist, he got very argumentative. I waited till arriving near Independence monument where there are plenty of police around, then told him to stop, "fuck you" we're my last words has I left the Tuktuk, you can't treat customers that way.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic