Why do Cambodians prefer people with White Complexion?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Captain Steve Rogers
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Why do Cambodians prefer people with White Complexion?

Post by Captain Steve Rogers »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Captain Steve Rogers wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
TheGrinchSR wrote:I find it peculiar that taabarang's endless racist posts (backed up by a French text book of course) are ignored or politely responded to but this pair of racists are knocked...

Assumptions of cultural superiority are ugly end of story. Of course there are things wrong with Cambodia (there are in every country) but that does not mean that the Khmer people are somehow flawed because of that.

Nobody is showing cultural superiority some of us simply show human traits that others are missing please read my posts in primitive mentality.
what makes you think you are any more human than a "Cambodian"? i have a lot of friends that show a lot more human traits than you, that are more passionate about the care for their fellow man
I'm assuming you haven't been reading my comments but please elaborate on how your Cambodian friends are much better than me? what traits do they show that differs from mine? *NOTE* you don't know me in real life so your assumptions are clueless.
yes and im assuming you dont have many real cambodian friends also because if you did im sure you would feel much differently about the cambodian people

I have plenty of Cambodian friends and even if I do I still met more bad people in this country than good. I've met people who pretend to be friends but in the end they are just trying to make a quick buck and I understand them. Circumstances in this country force them to be like this. But...... at the same time we don't need to overstep the boundaries here.
"HOME OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE".
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Nobody is showing cultural superiority some of us simply show human traits that others are missing please read my posts in primitive mentality.
what makes you think you are any more human than a "Cambodian"? i have a lot of friends that show a lot more human traits than you, that are more passionate about the care for their fellow man
I'm assuming you haven't been reading my comments but please elaborate on how your Cambodian friends are much better than me? what traits do they show that differs from mine? *NOTE* you don't know me in real life so your assumptions are clueless.
yes and im assuming you dont have many real cambodian friends also because if you did im sure you would feel much differently about the cambodian people

I have plenty of Cambodian friends and even if I do I still met more bad people in this country than good. I've met people who pretend to be friends but in the end they are just trying to make a quick buck and I understand them. Circumstances in this country force them to be like this. But...... at the same time we don't need to overstep the boundaries here.
bullshit, non of my friends try and make a quick buck out of me, as you said, a lot of your friends are not really your friends but just trying to make a quick buck out of you, and as i said, you obviously dont have many "Real" friends, they probs dont like your bad attitude
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

[quote] bullshit, non of my friends try and make a quick buck out of me, as you said, a lot of your friends are not really your friends but just trying to make a quick buck out of you, and as i said, you obviously dont have many "Real" friends, they probs dont like your bad attitude[/quote]

It's hard to be "friends" with someone who thinks that they are better than you - and even more so when they don't stop talking about what a great compassionate person they are and how you really need to improve because you suck. IMO.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Anchor Moy wrote:
bullshit, non of my friends try and make a quick buck out of me, as you said, a lot of your friends are not really your friends but just trying to make a quick buck out of you, and as i said, you obviously dont have many "Real" friends, they probs dont like your bad attitude[/quote]

It's hard to be "friends" with someone who thinks that they are better than you - and even more so when they don't stop talking about what a great compassionate person they are and how you really need to improve because you suck. IMO.
:thumb: :oops:
Captain Steve Rogers
Expatriate
United States of America

bullshit, non of my friends try and make a quick buck out of me, as you said, a lot of your friends are not really your friends but just trying to make a quick buck out of you, and as i said, you obviously dont have many "Real" friends, they probs dont like your bad attitude[/quote]

Bullshit you say? no pal it's called backstabbing someone I'm sure you're familiar with that term right? just because people go with you to bars, ktvs, hang outs, doesn't mean they are your friends more like hang out buddies. A friend is someone who is there for you unconditionally without expecting anything in return. To be honest this is why some of the expats or Cambodians have a pragmatic mentality. I detest people who don't say it how it is! of course some Cambodians will be blunt but only for certain things like calling people skinny, fat, etc etc..... but to admit faults nope won't do it. As they say it's all about saving face which is a fake way of living and mentality to begin with because we don't actually know who is honest and who is dishonest.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Captain Steve Rogers wrote:bullshit, non of my friends try and make a quick buck out of me, as you said, a lot of your friends are not really your friends but just trying to make a quick buck out of you, and as i said, you obviously dont have many "Real" friends, they probs dont like your bad attitude

Bullshit you say? no pal it's called backstabbing someone I'm sure you're familiar with that term right? just because people go with you to bars, ktvs, hang outs, doesn't mean they are your friends more like hang out buddies. A friend is someone who is there for you unconditionally without expecting anything in return. To be honest this is why some of the expats or Cambodians have a pragmatic mentality. I detest people who don't say it how it is! of course some Cambodians will be blunt but only for certain things like calling people skinny, fat, etc etc..... but to admit faults nope won't do it. As they say it's all about saving face which is a fake way of living and mentality to begin with because we don't actually know who is honest and who is dishonest.[/quote]

oh right, not only do you know everything about cambodia, you know everything about my friends... :bow:
whats the difference between "friends" and "buddies" ?
yeah your right i hang out with my friends, i like to spend time with my friends, my friends like to hang out with me, we have a mutural trust and respect, some of my friends have known me for numerous years, a lot of my friends see me and treat me like a brother
just because you have bad experiences with cambodians (we all do, you cant get along with everyone) doesnt mean we are all in the same boat, i detest people who think they know it all based on their own opinions :no:
Captain Steve Rogers
Expatriate
United States of America

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Captain Steve Rogers wrote:bullshit, non of my friends try and make a quick buck out of me, as you said, a lot of your friends are not really your friends but just trying to make a quick buck out of you, and as i said, you obviously dont have many "Real" friends, they probs dont like your bad attitude

Bullshit you say? no pal it's called backstabbing someone I'm sure you're familiar with that term right? just because people go with you to bars, ktvs, hang outs, doesn't mean they are your friends more like hang out buddies. A friend is someone who is there for you unconditionally without expecting anything in return. To be honest this is why some of the expats or Cambodians have a pragmatic mentality. I detest people who don't say it how it is! of course some Cambodians will be blunt but only for certain things like calling people skinny, fat, etc etc..... but to admit faults nope won't do it. As they say it's all about saving face which is a fake way of living and mentality to begin with because we don't actually know who is honest and who is dishonest.
oh right, not only do you know everything about cambodia, you know everything about my friends... :bow:
whats the difference between "friends" and "buddies" ?
yeah your right i hang out with my friends, i like to spend time with my friends, my friends like to hang out with me, we have a mutural trust and respect, some of my friends have known me for numerous years, a lot of my friends see me and treat me like a brother
just because you have bad experiences with cambodians (we all do, you cant get along with everyone) doesnt mean we are all in the same boat, i detest people who think they know it all based on their own opinions :no:[/quote]

They are not opinions they're experiences and I don't agree with your words but I do respect your points of view let's call it a truce shall we?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Captain Steve Rogers wrote: let's call it a truce shall we?
Might be a good idea chaps! :whip:

So, why do Cambodians prefer white skin?
Captain Steve Rogers
Expatriate
United States of America

Username Taken wrote:

Because I see many people of White Complexion getting more job opportunities regardless of qualifications. I've had experience where they will choose the less qualified candidate and choose the White person for a manager position or a highly ranked position all because they are more marketable in terms of business. This is my experience on this issue and it really bothers me so much :shock: just my two cents :good:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Username Taken wrote:

See page 1. Or I can do you a resume:
1. The Asia perception of skin colour :White vs black - pure vs dirty - rich vs poor - country bumkin vs city slicker. White skin puts you higher on the social scale.
2.The bad reputation of black Africans who have a reputation for drug dealing and scamming which gives everyone a bad name.
3 Comparatively few darker skinned tourists and Cambodians not understanding that all westerners are not white. A black UK or US person will be taken for a "bad" African (see above.)
4. White people may be perceived as more intelligent and/or better educated.
(After that the thread gets on to bum guns, saving the Cambodians from themselves, and it's all downhill from there.)

How to change this? Attitudes toward darker westerners will probably evolve when more of them come to Cambodia. Attitudes to Cambodians with darker skins may change when the revolution comes and the darker skinned proletariat take power - just kidding. (Only guessing, but I presume that when the KR took power it wasn't so great to have a lighter skin colour which would label you as a city person?)

However, this idea that light-coloured skin is superior is present in mentalities of people all over Asia, and even the world, as a sort of hangover from the days of colonial power. Cambodia is no different and the population is particularly conformist, so change may be slow to say the least.IMO of course.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic