Required documents for Cambodian driving license 2022

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Required documents for Cambodian driving license 2022

Post by Kammekor »

This one sums it up nicely:

Source: Aeon 2 office 01-07-2022
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Required documents for Cambodian driving license 2022

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Good summary, however they should add to the list, because many people still don't understand, that the "Native" driver license must be from the same country as the passport. Should also say that the Certificate of Residence needs to specifically state that it is for the purpose of applying for a Drivers License.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:11 am Good summary, however they should add to the list, because many people still don't understand, that the "Native" driver license must be from the same country as the passport. Should also say that the Certificate of Residence needs to specifically state that it is for the purpose of applying for a Drivers License.
I wonder why you cant use a dl other than your same as your passport?
Also why do they require you always have a valid home country license, even for renewal, even thou i am sure many don't have one?

Most people i know in Thailand haven't had a home country license for decades

just asking , thats all
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@phuketrichard T.I.C....don't try to make sense of bureaucratic administrative procedures in Cambodia :D
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:32 am @phuketrichard T.I.C....don't try to make sense of bureaucratic administrative procedures in Cambodia :D
It would be interesting to know if everyone has all the papers required, and how much it costs each individual to apply for either of the categories of the OP's opening post.
For example, if you were to take a new licence, sit the theory test and then the hands-on driving (practical). You would be expecting if you pass to be next in possession of what you paid for, a valid 10-year licence, but that depends on your age. Also is it true that a person can't apply for any at 64 years old, because that's the age (too old) when you should not be driving on Cambodian roads.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
velvet_thunder
Expatriate

Post by velvet_thunder »

and some additional small details:
- cost is 30USD +2.5USD for eyesight test
- the driving license has to be renewed max 30days after its anniversary date or penalties will be applied (500r per day if i recall correctly)
velvet_thunder
Expatriate

Post by velvet_thunder »

and get dressed up as any respectable person visiting a mall because they will take your picture on the spot ;)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:32 am @phuketrichard T.I.C....don't try to make sense of bureaucratic administrative procedures in Cambodia :D
In the same vein, why would the residency certificate need to state that it’s for a driving licence? It’s not like you’re going to drive the apartment around the country, and I’ve not seen many Winnebago’s clogging up the left lane.
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

why bother, I drive my moto at nite w/o license
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

alexvanlaar wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:21 am why bother, I drive my moto at nite w/o license
If shit happens I pay!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic