Required documents for Cambodian driving license 2022

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Required documents for Cambodian driving license 2022

Post by Freightdog »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:12 pm
Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:35 pm
AndyKK wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:52 pm Most traffic police won't accept them, why you must ask yourself, like all authorities, they don't get the information, or are simply after tea money. Cambodian Law and officialdom are corrupt, Insurance! let's hope who fallowed the right way gets paid out, again I have my doubts.
They don’t need to get the right information. They just need to play the waiting game. Either your journey time is more important, or their rice and home time is.

I used Lyna a few times, but the lack of insurance cover was off putting. I switched to Europcar, as the IDP could be accepted with an email confirmation, but they seem to have shut down their branch, now.
I have insurance for my 400cc bike, but I can't get insured for my 124cc because the law says you don't need a driving licence, and you will not be insured without a valid licence of Cambodia, but I do have a driving licence.
Gaps in the system. I haven’t bought a car yet- many false starts. Is it the driver, or the vehicle that gets the cover? If it’s based on the driver, driving, that would be helpful.

All fun yet to be had.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:23 pm
AndyKK wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:12 pm
Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:35 pm
AndyKK wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:52 pm Most traffic police won't accept them, why you must ask yourself, like all authorities, they don't get the information, or are simply after tea money. Cambodian Law and officialdom are corrupt, Insurance! let's hope who fallowed the right way gets paid out, again I have my doubts.
They don’t need to get the right information. They just need to play the waiting game. Either your journey time is more important, or their rice and home time is.

I used Lyna a few times, but the lack of insurance cover was off putting. I switched to Europcar, as the IDP could be accepted with an email confirmation, but they seem to have shut down their branch, now.
I have insurance for my 400cc bike, but I can't get insured for my 124cc because the law says you don't need a driving licence, and you will not be insured without a valid licence of Cambodia, but I do have a driving licence.
Gaps in the system. I haven’t bought a car yet- many false starts. Is it the driver, or the vehicle that gets the cover? If it’s based on the driver, driving, that would be helpful.

All fun yet to be had.
I had a Hilux here years ago, would never have a car again.
3rd party insurance, add-ons if you want personal insurance, 3rd party will pay out for any damage to another vehicle you happen to come in contact with. Or injuries or deaths. 3rd party is a must, don't forget it is the unwritten law of the land even if it is not your fault, it is because you should have not been there.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:23 pm

All fun yet to be had.
I considered buying a car years ago but after I did some math it was clear it's not ecomically viable unless you use it loads. If not, private taxi's, even if you drive them alone, are a cheaper option and saves you the hassle. Motorcycle is good for short trips.
For instance, for the price of a decent car I can make 400 trips by taxi to and from Ratanakiri, me as the only traveller. If I'd make those trips by private car that would mean 220k on the clock. For me it's just not worth it.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

For me, it’s a family of 5, and flexibility, including when we get where we’re going and when. The private taxi usually screws up a couple of days, which I often don’t have spare.

It’s not the end of the world, but I’d rather have the car.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:19 pm For me, it’s a family of 5, and flexibility, including when we get where we’re going and when. The private taxi usually screws up a couple of days, which I often don’t have spare.

It’s not the end of the world, but I’d rather have the car.
A family of five will cost the same, when I hire a taxi, I hire the whole thing, except deliveries
Of course having a car is nice, but I believe in Cambodia the price of a private car is way too high compared to 5ge comfort it offers. But that's just my pov.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Note that you can also renew your license thru agents now for about a $70 surcharge - just hand over passport fotos, existing Cambodian license, photocopy of your passport and visa and you are good to go. Takes a few days to come back - no eye test or proof of residence required. I cant remember it they photocopied my overseas license. I figured that by the time I drove to PP with associated petrol costs, probably a night in a hotel and traffic stress then the $70 is easily recouped.

Insurance seems to be for the vehicle and not the driver but I wouldn't risk not having a license as the Insurance Company has a readymade loophole to avoid the claim. Still it is not that expensive, especially 3rd party, and worth it in case some idiot runs/rides/drives into you.

Owning a car here has a very high upfront purchase expense for a 20yr old car but if you choose wisely around 20k and get the vehicle comprehensively checked before purchase then if you take care of it you don't lose much when you sell it. I had a 2003 Highlander Limited for about 4yrs - bought 19k and sold in less than 12 hours for 17.5k. Around 15k to 20k the go-to cars are Highlanders and Lexus SUV from 2000-03. The V6, whilst thirsty, is an extremely strong engine and the advantage of these Toyotas is that someone can repair them within a few km's and parts are plentiful and inexpensive. They are also extremely sought after by Khmer for those reasons so resale is easy.

The other end of the scale is 2-5k which gets you a reasonable RAV4 or Honda CRV or a KIA. These also resell fairly easily.

Stay away from European models and especially 20k Range Rovers. A mate called his the 'weekend car' - he would pick it up on Friday and get it towed back for repair on Sunday - beautiful car to be in but plagued with issues.

After seeing, reading and hearing about the number of bike accidents makes me more nervous, especially at night when the drunks and no-lights idiots are out and about, is why I primarily use a car now even though I own 4 bikes. Add in rainy season and living up fooked up mud roads makes a car a worthwhile exercise.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Note that you can also renew your license thru agents now for about a $70 surcharge - just hand over passport fotos, existing Cambodian license, photocopy of your passport and visa and you are good to go. Takes a few days to come back - no eye test or proof of residence required. I cant remember it they photocopied my overseas license. I figured that by the time I drove to PP with associated petrol costs, probably a night in a hotel and traffic stress then the $70 is easily recouped.
Its $100 in Kampot, thru 2 agents I asked , but still need provide copies of ur passport, visa and matching overseas license
PLUS 1st time need the letter

Under $5,000 that crv will be pre 1999, the rav 4, pre 97

I'm looking, hate being without a car
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:38 pm
Its $100 in Kampot, thru 2 agents I asked , but still need provide copies of ur passport, visa and matching overseas license

Ist time yes but then no. The 70$ surcharge is the diff between official costs.

CRV should be 98-99 - rav4 97-99 depending
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:38 pm

Ist time yes but then no. The 70$ surcharge is the diff between official costs.

CRV should be 98-99 - rav4 97-99 depending
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic