Required documents for Cambodian driving license 2022

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hairdo
BANNED
Guam

Re: Required documents for Cambodian driving license 2022

Post by hairdo »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:11 pm
hairdo wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:50 am How about motorcycles up to 125 cc? Can you still drive them without a driver's license according to the current road traffic regulations?
cambodia.embassy.gov.au wrote:A licence is not required to ride a motorcycle with an engine capacity of up to 125cc.
https://cambodia.embassy.gov.au/penh/in ... river.html
Whilst the AUS embassy says that, personally I wouldn't want to argue the point when claiming for medical insurance when the fine print often says you need a valid local licence.
cambodia.embassy.gov.au wrote:At this time International licences are not accepted in Cambodia
Of course, I'm also a bit confused regarding the IDP, because someone told me that it's now accepted.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

hairdo wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:18 pm
hairdo wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:50 am How about motorcycles up to 125 cc? Can you still drive them without a driver's license according to the current road traffic regulations?
cambodia.embassy.gov.au wrote:A licence is not required to ride a motorcycle with an engine capacity of up to 125cc.
Whilst the AUS embassy says that, personally I wouldn't want to argue the point when claiming for medical insurance when the fine print often says you need a valid local licence.
cambodia.embassy.gov.au wrote:At this time International licences are not accepted in Cambodia
Of course, I'm also a bit confused regarding the IDP, because someone told me that it's now accepted.
Yes, it is, because Cambodian people can use in other counties, the agreement works both ways and the Cambodian government were in effect breaking the agreement (law) by not accepting the IDP here.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I've hardly ever driven a car in Cambodia but the medical is the reason why I go through the hassle every year to obtain a Cambodian license. When driving a motorcycle in Cambodia the question isn't if, but when, the inevitable will happen IMHO. I don't want 120.000r a year to stand between me and a potential life saving treatment.
MrBen87
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MrBen87 »

I'd like to get an "A" Motorbike license to ride 125+ but I don't have any kind of license from UK (home) is it possible to take only the khmer driving license from scratch?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

When it comes to Insurance, you need to be very careful and ensure that you read and understand the fine print. Whilst an IDP or other ASEAN drivers license may be technically accepted by Cambodia (even though most traffic police won't accept them), Insurance policies often state things like "if you are resident of country XYZ, then you must have a drivers license issued by country XYZ to be covered by insurance", you then need to check what the insurance providers definition of residence is. Many people get caught out when it comes to making insurance claims because of this, especially those who are using a Travel Insurance policy.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I used to rent a car every year at Lynas-garage on 432 and they used to do my khmer driving-licence also. Because without, i was not covered by their insurance, if i remeber good it was called Forte-insurance. But suddenly, in 2017 they said it was not anymore compulsary, i just could drive on my international DL. My khmer DL is expired since 2017, i useally have it with me always as only document, if i drop dead somewhere or with someone, they at least know who i am.
The people from Lynasgarage are useally very well informed about those things, i cant believe they give me an older Lexus to cross the country without having insurance. Probably they still can arrange your Khmer DL just paying them, it used to be 40US if i remeber good.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:01 pm When it comes to Insurance, you need to be very careful and ensure that you read and understand the fine print. Whilst an IDP or other ASEAN drivers license may be technically accepted by Cambodia (even though most traffic police won't accept them), Insurance policies often state things like "if you are resident of country XYZ, then you must have a drivers license issued by country XYZ to be covered by insurance", you then need to check what the insurance providers definition of residence is. Many people get caught out when it comes to making insurance claims because of this, especially those who are using a Travel Insurance policy.
Its only possible to acquire a IDP from your own country, and you must have a valid licence of that country to obtain one.

Most traffic police won't accept them, why you must ask yourself, like all authorities, they don't get the information, or are simply after tea money. Cambodian Law and officialdom are corrupt, Insurance! let's hope who fallowed the right way gets paid out, again I have my doubts.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:52 pm Most traffic police won't accept them, why you must ask yourself, like all authorities, they don't get the information, or are simply after tea money. Cambodian Law and officialdom are corrupt, Insurance! let's hope who fallowed the right way gets paid out, again I have my doubts.
They don’t need to get the right information. They just need to play the waiting game. Either your journey time is more important, or their rice and home time is.

I used Lyna a few times, but the lack of insurance cover was off putting. I switched to Europcar, as the IDP could be accepted with an email confirmation, but they seem to have shut down their branch, now.
hairdo
BANNED
Guam

Post by hairdo »

I think the reality is that driving a 125 as a western expat without a valid driver's license comes with significant risks these days. When the truck is there, they can just confiscate your bike and leave you on foot. I think the standard rate these days is $20 for random violations. Or just to think it was the good old days again. Driving a car, I'd make sure to have all the papers in order. And a local friend as a passenger and negotiator.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:35 pm
AndyKK wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:52 pm Most traffic police won't accept them, why you must ask yourself, like all authorities, they don't get the information, or are simply after tea money. Cambodian Law and officialdom are corrupt, Insurance! let's hope who fallowed the right way gets paid out, again I have my doubts.
They don’t need to get the right information. They just need to play the waiting game. Either your journey time is more important, or their rice and home time is.

I used Lyna a few times, but the lack of insurance cover was off putting. I switched to Europcar, as the IDP could be accepted with an email confirmation, but they seem to have shut down their branch, now.
I have insurance for my 400cc bike, but I can't get insured for my 124cc because the law says you don't need a driving licence, and you will not be insured without a valid licence of Cambodia, but I do have a driving licence.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic