COVID returns:

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: COVID returns:

Post by xandreu »

Covid was considered endemic a long time. This means it will likely never be eradicated and will always be with us. Just because no new cases were reported for 50-odd days, doesn't mean it ever went away. People simply stopped reporting it. It will continue to mutate into different strains, much like the flu virus, and we will continue to be asked (whether we take up the offer or not) to get booster shots, until a more permanent solution comes along.

This is the new normal. May as well get used to it now and get on with your life as best you can.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

My two cents on this is that it's more behavioural messaging to push uptake of the third, fourth and fifth vaccines, I think we all know that rates have dropped off significantly since the early part of the year. An example last year was messaging (fairly quickly withdrawn) about kids needing to be vaccinated to go to school, which was not true but worked in pushing up child vaccination rates significantly. These recent stories have similarly created a buzz everywhere and it will I'm sure push more people to get boosters. I really can't see them reintroducing significant restrictions, with the entry points they're only talking about rapid testing someone who is visibly sick and coughing. As others have said, Covid never went away, it's just everyone stopped testing.

I'm triple vaccinated and had Covid in March. My understanding is that the current dominant variants reproduce in the upper respiratory tract as opposed to the lower respiratory tract with early variants. This causes milder syptoms compared to the serious pneumonia like lung infections seen early on. If this continues to be the case I don't plan on getting any more boosters. My experience was very mild, Dengue fever was much worse. In the UK only people over 65 or younger in high risk groups are getting further boosters, I'm in neither category.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Am thinking of visiting again, maybe early 2023. Hope this doesn't interfere with things.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Alex wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:41 am It's all good, most people get merely a sniffle if anything at all. The vulnerable can just get yet another booster; no need for any dramatic measures
Anyone knows where the fith jab is available?
Boredom is like a shroud
Little_Vicious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Little_Vicious »

cabron wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:26 am
Alex wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:41 am It's all good, most people get merely a sniffle if anything at all. The vulnerable can just get yet another booster; no need for any dramatic measures
Anyone knows where the fith jab is available?
Olympia Mall on the third floor via Intercare Medical Hub.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic