Rising Sun

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Rising Sun

Post by Freightdog »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:16 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:06 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:51 pm
Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:39 pm
Oddly enough, when I popped in a couple of days ago, the staff did appear a bit more chipper than usual. But I’m sure they miss you. Certainly missed your postcard.
@Doc67 Haha. Just say you sent the postcard, but it never arrived. I've had several attempts at sending a pc to Cambodia and I have 100% failure rate - even with a phone no. attached. :plus1:
The girls at Harry's would look at a postcard in curious amusement. Try to explain to them that it is what people used to send home while on holiday, and this was the only form of communication, and they will laugh at the thing. Do they even sell them anymore?

I'll buy a couple of rounds of lady drinks and they will be more than happy.
I have seen Cambodian postcards for sale before.
Probably made in china*.

*small c until they learn to behave.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:30 pm
Oddly enough, when I popped in a couple of days ago, the staff did appear a bit more chipper than usual. But I’m sure they miss you. Certainly missed your postcard.
@Doc67 Haha. Just say you sent the postcard, but it never arrived. I've had several attempts at sending a pc to Cambodia and I have 100% failure rate - even with a phone no. attached. :plus1:
The girls at Harry's would look at a postcard in curious amusement. Try to explain to them that it is what people used to send home while on holiday, and this was the only form of communication, and they will laugh at the thing. Do they even sell them anymore?

Probably made in china*.

You are publicly De-capitalising China? I would keep clear of their airspace for a while or they might 'invite' you to make an unscheduled landing for a chat without coffee.
SmithEverton
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by SmithEverton »

Didn't know they were in that situation but understandable. Shame. A good few times there and great British food, nice owner lady and her daughters. And grand daughter I think who took on the role of assistant cook. Her grand daughter really puzzled me when at the bar once or twice as she was looking at her mobile. She held the screen very close to her eyes. Maybe change over from each to read text. No idea what was the condition was as she wore glasses. Great cook.
I loved a good few tall bottles of Angkor outside there of many a day till evening. I do have a few photos of the pics inside and some classics. Not rare. If they are closing for good. Maybe she could sell a few pictures as momentos for auction to get something for them. If she doesn't want them.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

sigrev wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:40 am Can anyone recommend another place for breakfast in the area? I feel a little lost with the closure of RS.
Lonestar
Sundance
great value, good eats
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pokerman
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by pokerman »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:16 pm
pokerman wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:53 pm 22 years she was there, she said rent was now too expensive, but I feel shes just had enough
Great honest English Food
Will be missed
RIP
Was it her business or was there a Barang behind it?
didnt see any barangs ever there in 15 years, but I guess there may have been in the early days
angsta
Expatriate
Congo

Post by angsta »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:15 pm
sigrev wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:40 am Can anyone recommend another place for breakfast in the area? I feel a little lost with the closure of RS.
Lonestar
Sundance
great value, good eats
I like the Sundance but the breakfast isn't anything to write home about. Sony Side Up across the street is better.
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I haven't had a decent fried breakfast in years, prob box office was best I have had here but that was a long time ago now

Some places come close but always either the bacon or sausage or both are substandard

I do prefer a Scottish or an Irish than an english breakfast though - tinned tomatoes are pure bullshit and should have nothing to do with food that isn't pasta related
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:30 pm

Probably made in china*.

nope, printed in Bangkok, friend of mine , (Doug @ Wild Cambodia Press) High quality an pre covid did very very well
he had stands all over
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:22 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:47 pm I think its the problem with any bussiness in PP, only the landlords get rich from it. I still cant remember one bussiness really made money in PP runned by a barang and serving drink and/or food. Maybe with Covid more people realise that they are filling a bothemless hole. As long a the rents stay like that, i will be sitting on the "good side" from the bar. But of course, 99% of the guys who are going bankrupt on these kind of bussiness wont tell it !!
If you do manage to turn an empty shell into a thriving business the landlords will keep a very envious eye on it. As an example, I understand that Bouchon Wine Bar had a nice place and built a good business and their landlord tried to triple the rent upon lease renewal time. The landlords are parasitical and if you have done a good job and built a thriving business (through skill, experience and hard work) they think they deserve their share of it.

They moved and now have a beautiful building in street 174.
Right, but not for too long. I was there last week and I was told that the lease is coming to end in a near future and the current management is scouting for future location.
Boredom is like a shroud
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

cabron wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:29 pm
Doc67 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:22 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:47 pm I think its the problem with any bussiness in PP, only the landlords get rich from it. I still cant remember one bussiness really made money in PP runned by a barang and serving drink and/or food. Maybe with Covid more people realise that they are filling a bothemless hole. As long a the rents stay like that, i will be sitting on the "good side" from the bar. But of course, 99% of the guys who are going bankrupt on these kind of bussiness wont tell it !!
If you do manage to turn an empty shell into a thriving business the landlords will keep a very envious eye on it. As an example, I understand that Bouchon Wine Bar had a nice place and built a good business and their landlord tried to triple the rent upon lease renewal time. The landlords are parasitical and if you have done a good job and built a thriving business (through skill, experience and hard work) they think they deserve their share of it.

They moved and now have a beautiful building in street 174.
Right, but not for too long. I was there last week and I was told that the lease is coming to end in a near future and the current management is scouting for future location.
Again? That's a shame, it's a pleasure just to arrive and walk in the building.

Maybe the landlords want to build a soulless ugly apartment block.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic