Rising Sun

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Re: Rising Sun

Post by Joker Poker »

This is sad to hear on a personal level, yet another old haunt gone! I lived opposite the premises for a while and never far away. Great roasts, great chicken pies and some interesting customers at times...

I wish them well, concuring with John, Clive has not been well for years, but Phung (IIRC) had kept it going for a long time with the few staff that she had.
sigrev
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by sigrev »

Can anyone recommend another place for breakfast in the area? I feel a little lost with the closure of RS.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

sigrev wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:40 am Can anyone recommend another place for breakfast in the area? I feel a little lost with the closure of RS.
Have you heard of Harry's on Riverside?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:38 pm
sigrev wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:40 am Can anyone recommend another place for breakfast in the area? I feel a little lost with the closure of RS.
No…?
Can you vouch for them? Do they advertise?

What are the regulars like, Other than absent?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:22 pm
No…?

Certain regulars being absent is a positive improvement!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:35 pm
Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:22 pm
No…?

Certain regulars being absent is a positive improvement!
Oddly enough, when I popped in a couple of days ago, the staff did appear a bit more chipper than usual. But I’m sure they miss you. Certainly missed your postcard.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:39 pm
Oddly enough, when I popped in a couple of days ago, the staff did appear a bit more chipper than usual. But I’m sure they miss you. Certainly missed your postcard.
@Doc67 Haha. Just say you sent the postcard, but it never arrived. I've had several attempts at sending a pc to Cambodia and I have 100% failure rate - even with a phone no. attached. :plus1:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:51 pm
@Doc67 Haha. Just say you sent the postcard, but it never arrived. I've had several attempts at sending a pc to Cambodia and I have 100% failure rate - even with a phone no. attached. :plus1:
The girls at Harry's would look at a postcard in curious amusement. Try to explain to them that it is what people used to send home while on holiday, and this was the only form of communication, and they will laugh at the thing. Do they even sell them anymore?

I'll buy a couple of rounds of lady drinks and they will be more than happy.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:06 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:51 pm
The girls at Harry's would look at a postcard in curious amusement. Try to explain to them that it is what people used to send home while on holiday, and this was the only form of communication, and they will laugh at the thing. Do they even sell them anymore?

I'll buy a couple of rounds of lady drinks and they will be more than happy.
I have seen Cambodian postcards for sale before.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Doc, with Beer under a quid a pint, and skyrocketing fuel prices, it’s reminiscent of the ‘70s.

Wasn’t it the ‘70s when Spain became really popular with the British tourist?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic