Rising Sun

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Rising Sun

Post by Doc67 »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:12 pm The rents around the riverside are ridiculously high. I would guess that it would be around $2000 a month in that formerly good location. The FCC has been closed for years now. The building opposite used to have some okay bars with big balconies and nice views. Unfortunately they put glass all around them, and the music they play is painful. It's not really a good location anymore. The expected influx of tourists hasn't really materialized and that area is struggling. All part of a much larger plan. The Chinese shop houses that make up most of the riverside are not big enough to capitalize on, so the way I see it it will gradually be replaced by larger and more profitable high rise blocks. Time is on the tycoon's side, they don't need scruffy backpackers.
Did they have rooms above the bar for rent or was it just a bar / restaurant business?
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I think its the problem with any bussiness in PP, only the landlords get rich from it. I still cant remember one bussiness really made money in PP runned by a barang and serving drink and/or food. Maybe with Covid more people realise that they are filling a bothemless hole. As long a the rents stay like that, i will be sitting on the "good side" from the bar. But of course, 99% of the guys who are going bankrupt on these kind of bussiness wont tell it !!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:16 pm
pokerman wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:53 pm 22 years she was there, she said rent was now too expensive, but I feel shes just had enough
Great honest English Food
Will be missed
RIP
Was it her business or was there a Barang behind it?
Correct me if I am wrong but her husband is a barang, she told me some time ago that they tried to get a rent rebate, but was unsuccessful. Then again to be fare it also depends on what position the landlord is in, if he has a mortgage on the property or whatever. Maybe the lease wanted renewal at this time, it's a huge commitment, and even more so if you're not covering costs.
I agree the place will be sadly missed.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

I still cant remember one bussiness really made money in PP runned by a barang and serving drink and/or food.

Walkabout.
Muff
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Muff »

shame, good breakfast , nice lady,will they return i wander
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:16 pm
pokerman wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:53 pm 22 years she was there, she said rent was now too expensive, but I feel shes just had enough
Great honest English Food
Will be missed
RIP
Was it her business or was there a Barang behind it?
It was originally owned by an English guy, as I mentioned earlier. As far as I know he sold it to Clive, a retired Australian soldier. He had been in Cambodia during UNTAC. He didn't know much about music though so it always seemed funny chatting to him with Sid Vicious smoking a spliff in the background. He became ill a long time back and has been in Australia for maybe a decade. I'm pissed I didn't drop in for so long and now it's gone. It should always be remembered for its Apocalypse Now style sign that inadvertently used the Disney font. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bongmab69 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:47 pm I think its the problem with any bussiness in PP, only the landlords get rich from it. I still cant remember one bussiness really made money in PP runned by a barang and serving drink and/or food. Maybe with Covid more people realise that they are filling a bothemless hole. As long a the rents stay like that, i will be sitting on the "good side" from the bar. But of course, 99% of the guys who are going bankrupt on these kind of bussiness wont tell it !!
If you do manage to turn an empty shell into a thriving business the landlords will keep a very envious eye on it. As an example, I understand that Bouchon Wine Bar had a nice place and built a good business and their landlord tried to triple the rent upon lease renewal time. The landlords are parasitical and if you have done a good job and built a thriving business (through skill, experience and hard work) they think they deserve their share of it.

They moved and now have a beautiful building in street 174.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Same thing happened to Equinox on St.278. Thriving music venue with good food downstairs. Landlord apparently tripled the rent. Hence it laid empty for years. Hope it hurt the landlord.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Sad news but considering the number of posters saying "It was great but I haven't been for years" may well be a clue as to why.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

angkorjohn2 wrote:Sad news but considering the number of posters saying "It was great but I haven't been for years" may well be a clue as to why.
There was another thread a few months ago with people saying it had gone downhill...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic