Rising Sun

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Rising Sun

Post by John Bingham »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:09 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:04 pm That's a shame, I used to go there quite a bit.
I don't know when they first opened, but when I was living in Koh Kong and would visit Phnom Penh I would always call in for a meal or two, that would have started back around 7 years ago.
They've been open since at least 2005. As far as I can remember an English guy opened it first and put up all those rock photos etc. Then an Australian guy called Clive who was in UNTAC bought it. He's been ill for quite some time and I believe his wife ran it since.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

I went there around 2005 or 06....Remember the Sex Pistol photos....Wasn't cheap so I never went back being the cheapie I am...But a lot of good things were said about the food and ambience
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I was pretty sure it was open when I arrived in 1999 but not 100% certain.
However, on the internet's Wayback Machine I found a Feb-Mar 2000 copy of The Bayon Pearnik. (That's the oldest copy on the archive.)
On page 11 Bar Guide, The Rising Sun gets a mention.

"RISING SUN English run bar, cheap drinks#20 St178"
https://web.archive.org/web/20010605170 ... ssue43.pdf

Anyone who wasn't around back in the day might get a bit of a kick out of the Bayon Pearnik from yesteryear. Well worth a browse.

:beer3:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Damn.......

I loved going there.

First time that I ever tried any kind of English/British style food was at The Rising Sun in 2009.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

nemo wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:36 pm Sad to see they survived the quarantine but can't hang on.
I have not noticed any surge of western tourists returning.
You're not the only one noticing a lack of hoards returning. If anything it seemed there were less people around in May than last December & January.

All these bars and restaurants that survived Covid are facing more places opening or re-opening and still the lack of tourists to make these places viable. There are also plenty of long term residents who are out of country doing home visits for the first time in years.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Patcan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:02 pm I went there around 2005 or 06....Remember the Sex Pistol photos....Wasn't cheap so I never went back being the cheapie I am...But a lot of good things were said about the food and ambience
Id second that but my first visit was 2019.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
pokerman
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by pokerman »

22 years she was there, she said rent was now too expensive, but I feel shes just had enough
Great honest English Food
Will be missed
RIP
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The rents around the riverside are ridiculously high. I would guess that it would be around $2000 a month in that formerly good location. The FCC has been closed for years now. The building opposite used to have some okay bars with big balconies and nice views. Unfortunately they put glass all around them, and the music they play is painful. It's not really a good location anymore. The expected influx of tourists hasn't really materialized and that area is struggling. All part of a much larger plan. The Chinese shop houses that make up most of the riverside are not big enough to capitalize on, so the way I see it it will gradually be replaced by larger and more profitable high rise blocks. Time is on the tycoon's side, they don't need scruffy backpackers.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

pokerman wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:53 pm 22 years she was there, she said rent was now too expensive, but I feel shes just had enough
Great honest English Food
Will be missed
RIP
Was it her business or was there a Barang behind it?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic