Rant: Basic motorcycle parts not available? Why?!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Rant: Basic motorcycle parts not available? Why?!

Post by AndyKK »

I had to leave my moto in Kampong Cham a few months ago and return to Phnom Penh by other means. I had a video message sent by the landlady showing fuel pouring from the bike "it could have only been a perished fuel line from the tank to the carb".
Later I arrived back in Kampong Cham via mini-bus, I replaced the lower fuel line from the fuel filter to the carb, but was unable to change the upper line from the tank to the filter because silly me had forgot the tool to remove the plastics. I pushed the bike down to the petrol station asking for only 2000riel of fuel, not being sure if the top fuel line had the leak, anyway I pushed the bike out of the way and finger's crossed turned on the fuel tap, "no leak" so went back and had the fuel tank filled.
I had replaced the fuel pipe with the same, and although it was supposed to be of good quality, I questioned that, but I think someone had sabotaged the bike at the time, (I have just call at that time), but to have no doubt I wanted to have the full fuel-line changed.
I went from moto repair shop to the next, getting the same answer "NO DO". On arrival of the 5th shop, with the same answer, I thought to myself no one wants my money, I asked them to change the engine oil since I was there. 2 Khmer customer's started to talk to me in English "just normal conversation". when they left the owner of the shop handed over some new fuel line to the younger assistant, and he started to remove the plastics of the bike. Its overall a very bad design on the Honda MSX, because the fuel on and off is actually not on the tank, but on the carburetor, so after the fuel line.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:28 am I had to leave my moto in Kampong Cham a few months ago and return to Phnom Penh by other means. I had a video message sent by the landlady showing fuel pouring from the bike "it could have only been a perished fuel line from the tank to the carb".
Later I arrived back in Kampong Cham via mini-bus, I replaced the lower fuel line from the fuel filter to the carb, but was unable to change the upper line from the tank to the filter because silly me had forgot the tool to remove the plastics. I pushed the bike down to the petrol station asking for only 2000riel of fuel, not being sure if the top fuel line had the leak, anyway I pushed the bike out of the way and finger's crossed turned on the fuel tap, "no leak" so went back and had the fuel tank filled.
I had replaced the fuel pipe with the same, and although it was supposed to be of good quality, I questioned that, but I think someone had sabotaged the bike at the time, (I have just call at that time), but to have no doubt I wanted to have the full fuel-line changed.
I went from moto repair shop to the next, getting the same answer "NO DO". On arrival of the 5th shop, with the same answer, I thought to myself no one wants my money, I asked them to change the engine oil since I was there. 2 Khmer customer's started to talk to me in English "just normal conversation". when they left the owner of the shop handed over some new fuel line to the younger assistant, and he started to remove the plastics of the bike. Its overall a very bad design on the Honda MSX, because the fuel on and off is actually not on the tank, but on the carburetor, so after the fuel line.
Possibly someone ‘borrowing’ your fuel was interrupted in the act, and had to scarper leaving the fuel line leaking.
When my boat was parked on the nearby river, the locals had a habit of siphoning off my gasoline in the night (I never left more than a liter or so in the tank for that reason) it got a bit tiresome in the end and I secured the tank cap to prevent them from doing so, but they then just started disconnecting the fuel line to carburetor and helping themselves that way. The fuel line got disconnected/reconnected so many times it developed a nasty leak.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Chad Sexington wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:28 am
AndyKK wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:28 am I had to leave my moto in Kampong Cham a few months ago and return to Phnom Penh by other means. I had a video message sent by the landlady showing fuel pouring from the bike "it could have only been a perished fuel line from the tank to the carb".
Possibly someone ‘borrowing’ your fuel was interrupted in the act, and had to scarper leaving the fuel line leaking.
When my boat was parked on the nearby river, the locals had a habit of siphoning off my gasoline in the night (I never left more than a liter or so in the tank for that reason) it got a bit tiresome in the end and I secured the tank cap to prevent them from doing so, but they then just started disconnecting the fuel line to carburetor and helping themselves that way. The fuel line got disconnected/reconnected so many times it developed a nasty leak.
It depends on the engine, but I would take mine off the boat at the time when I was not using it, and keep it safe in the house.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:48 pm
Chad Sexington wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:28 am
It depends on the engine, but I would take mine off the boat at the time when I was not using it, and keep it safe in the house.
It was one of the usual 8hp longtails. It was a pain in the backside to manhandle the engine up and down the riverbank and lug it back and forth.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

When I was living in the far north of the country on the Mekong River bank, with Loas on the opposite side of the river. I had a 6-metre boat made by Loethen boat builders, also finished well and painted. They also mounted my new engine (long tail) with Thai running gear. They tested the boat too, up and down the river, all good. They asked me for $100, I gave them $200 and a case of beer. :)
I have been humming and haring whether to return to have one made again.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:31 pm When I was living in the far north of the country on the Mekong River bank, with Loas on the opposite side of the river. I had a 6-metre boat made by Loethen boat builders, also finished well and painted. They also mounted my new engine (long tail) with Thai running gear. They tested the boat too, up and down the river, all good. They asked me for $100, I gave them $200 and a case of beer. :)
Mine was an 8 metre typical Khmer wooden boat (bought used)
A new 8 metre wooden boat, built round these parts, costs around $500 (excluding the engine)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Chad Sexington wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:15 pm
AndyKK wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:31 pm When I was living in the far north of the country on the Mekong River bank, with Loas on the opposite side of the river. I had a 6-metre boat made by Loethen boat builders, also finished well and painted. They also mounted my new engine (long tail) with Thai running gear. They tested the boat too, up and down the river, all good. They asked me for $100, I gave them $200 and a case of beer. :)
A new 8 metre wooden boat, built round these parts, costs around $500 (excluding the engine)
Yes, the Khmer gave me quotes of $350 for used boats in the area, excluding engine. I recall buying a new engine in the village for approximately $160 and Thai running gear.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:25 pm
Chad Sexington wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:15 pm
Yes, the Khmer gave me quotes of $350 for used boats in the area, excluding engine. I recall buying a new engine in the village for approximately $160 and Thai running gear.
Sounds about right👍
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic