Goodness Me! It’s Gluten Free

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Goodness Me! It’s Gluten Free

Post by David Gordon »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:55 am I am curious
Does food taste different if made Gluten free ?
Would someone notice the difference ?
How so ?
Some Gluten free food is hardly different like steak potatoes and veggies, but most gf baked goods are crap because they’re trying to fake something naturally made with wheat (especially bread which needs gluten as the glue to hold those air bubbles) kind of like vegetarian meat. It is not the same and definitely not superior. If a person can’t eat the real thing they might enjoy it - but if you can, don’t skip the cookies, bread, pasta made and perfected with wheat flour. Also it’s questionable that the other flours and additives to make the food behave and taste as expected are even healthy at all.
Stay classy na
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

We are working on a flat bread, made from coconut flour (no xantham gum or additives).
If it's successful, we can start offering wraps, which will be AWESOME!
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

I dated a woman who was allergic to gluten - it’s a real thing. I generally felt like crap too so I did some research, read some books and then tried it for a month. I discovered that gluten was not my problem. It’s worth investigating but if you want to test yourself begin with a keto diet of very low carbs - eat meat cheese eggs and low carb veggies only. Slowly re-introduce foods one at a time and you can learn what it is in your diet that troubles you or sends you running to the loo.

I abandoned carbs and bread but someone mentioned sourdough in this thread. Sourdough is about process as much as it’s contents. Commercial yeasts were developed to make fast bread while sourdough is all about slow. One sourdough masterpiece I know of is bulk cold fermented 24 hours and the entire thing is a three day affair. The gluten is altered. Celiacs report they can tolerate it.
Stay classy na
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

David Gordon wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:33 am Sourdough is about process as much as it’s contents. Commercial yeasts were developed to make fast bread while sourdough is all about slow. One sourdough masterpiece I know of is bulk cold fermented 24 hours and the entire thing is a three day affair. The gluten is altered. Celiacs report they can tolerate it.
I'm going to give it a try with a little bit. If this is true it will be great :)
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:35 am
David Gordon wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:33 am Sourdough is about process as much as it’s contents. Commercial yeasts were developed to make fast bread while sourdough is all about slow. One sourdough masterpiece I know of is bulk cold fermented 24 hours and the entire thing is a three day affair. The gluten is altered. Celiacs report they can tolerate it.
I'm going to give it a try with a little bit. If this is true it will be great :)
Ask your sourdough baker how long he bulk ferments and ask him to do an experiment for you and put away the dough for one boule in refrigeration for at least 24 hours before forming a loaf and doing a final proofing before baking. Try that loaf - I would love to hear about it. https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen ... aste-great
Stay classy na
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

We are testing the chocolate brownies.
Buy lunch tomorrow and Friday and receive a FREE chocolate brownie.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

I am not sure if you do yourself a favour by spamming this forum. It may create adverse reaction to a good cause.
work is for people who cant find truffles
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

truffledog wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:00 pm I am not sure if you do yourself a favour by spamming this forum. It may create adverse reaction to a good cause.
Thanks for bumping my post though :)
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

truffledog wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:00 pm I am not sure if you do yourself a favour by spamming this forum. It may create adverse reaction to a good cause.
I'll make the same comment that I made on the "Harry's" thread.

Those businesses update their own separate threads with news relating to their business. They don't spam random threads of this forum with their updates. For those who aren't interested, it's easy enough to simply skip those threads.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

It’s a brain thing. Gluten Often Causes Brain Symptoms, Not Gut Symptoms
https://link.theepochtimes.com/mkt_app/ ... 19095.html
Stay classy na
Locked Previous topicNext topic